PDA

View Full Version : Slow Roasted Turkey

Bruce Wrenn
11-23-2021, 9:49 PM
Last week, we had our November Senior Luncheon. I cook a turkey, especially because we have several widows who don't have family close by. This is their Thanksgiving meal. Usually get up at 3:00 AM, and start turkey, so it will be ready in time. I also make a steam tray of dressing which needs to be in same oven. I looked up "Slow Roasting a Turkey," and the first thing that popped up was exactly what I wanted to know. You take the turkey and prepare as usual (no stuffing inside the bird,) and then place in roaster, with a couple cups of water. Cover roaster tightly with foil, place in 200 - 225 degree oven before retiring for the night. Get up next morning, and turkey is "fall off the bone" done. Easiest turkey I ever cooked

George Bokros
11-24-2021, 6:57 AM
Personally I would not go to bed with the oven on nor would I leave home with something in the oven.

Ron Citerone
11-24-2021, 8:26 AM
How many pounds and for how long?

Stan Calow
11-24-2021, 8:35 AM
We have a procedure for the opposite: fast roasting. A 12# turkey in 2.5 hours, so no need to get up early. And no, its not dry or burnt.

Barry McFadden
11-24-2021, 8:42 AM
I've never been a fan of the slow roasted turkey...usually ends up dry. I found a recipe 20 years ago that I use and the turkey turns out juicy and perfect every time. I set the oven to 400 degrees and cook the turkey for 15 min per pound for the first 10 pounds and 7 min per pounds for the rest. So a 20 pound turkey would cook for 150 min for the first 10 pounds and 70 min for the next 10 pounds... total cook time 220 minutes ( just over 3.5 hours). I put it in a turkey pan uncovered for the first half hour then loosely cover with tinfoil up until about the last hour when I take it off. The 400 degrees may scare some people but it turns out perfect every time.

Edward Weber
11-24-2021, 10:03 AM
I've never been a fan of the slow roasted turkey...usually ends up dry. I found a recipe 20 years ago that I use and the turkey turns out juicy and perfect every time. I set the oven to 400 degrees and cook the turkey for 15 min per pound for the first 10 pounds and 7 min per pounds for the rest. So a 20 pound turkey would cook for 150 min for the first 10 pounds and 70 min for the next 10 pounds... total cook time 220 minutes ( just over 3.5 hours). I put it in a turkey pan uncovered for the first half hour then loosely cover with tinfoil up until about the last hour when I take it off. The 400 degrees may scare some people but it turns out perfect every time.

This is a similar method to the one that that I use, it's the same principal a searing a steak.

Ron Citerone
11-24-2021, 10:05 AM
Have you ever used your method for smaller turkeys. Don’t cook 20lber any more that the kids moved out.. Thanks

Frederick Skelly
11-24-2021, 10:36 AM
Last week, we had our November Senior Luncheon. I cook a turkey, especially because we have several widows who don't have family close by. This is their Thanksgiving meal.

Bruce, I realize your point was to tell us a good recipe that you like. But these sentences caught my eye. Good on ya, Sir. Good on ya.

Fred

Rob Luter
11-24-2021, 11:10 AM
Last week, we had our November Senior Luncheon. I cook a turkey, especially because we have several widows who don't have family close by. This is their Thanksgiving meal.

I'll echo Frederick's comments. Well played Sir.

Barry McFadden
11-24-2021, 11:36 AM
Have you ever used your method for smaller turkeys. Don’t cook 20lber any more that the kids moved out.. Thanks

Yes works with any size turkey... just use 15 min a pound for the first 10 lbs and 7 min per pound after... ie: a12 pound bird would be 10lbs=150 min plus 2lbs =14 min.. for a total of 164 min ( 2.7 hours)

Ron Citerone
11-24-2021, 12:15 PM
Yes works with any size turkey... just use 15 min a pound for the first 10 lbs and 7 min per pound after... ie: a12 pound bird would be 10lbs=150 min plus 2lbs =14 min.. for a total of 164 min ( 2.7 hours)

Thanks Barry!

Frank Pratt
11-24-2021, 1:42 PM
Rather than guess at how many minutes/kg, or pound, I use a meat thermometer. You always know just exactly how done it is. For the juiciest meat, the breast in particular, you want to walk the line between overdone & salmonella, and it's a fine one. Dark meat can take more cooking.

I stuffed the bird for years, but now I spatchcock it, rub a mix of herbs & butter under the skin & then roast it for about 2 hours for a large turkey. By the time the breast is at 165, the legs are about 175 = 180. Perfect every time. The stuffing gets done in the slow cooker with the giblets, neck & tail.

Edward Weber
11-24-2021, 3:51 PM
I cook my birds upside down, breast down and the back where all the fat is on top.
Works well for me.
Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Rob Luter
11-24-2021, 5:05 PM
Slow roast. Just saying……

https://live.staticflickr.com/4913/46059356951_36751b92a8_b.jpg

Barry McFadden
11-24-2021, 5:22 PM
Forgot this important step!!

Frank Pratt
11-24-2021, 6:38 PM
Forgot this important step!!

That's a good lookin' bird.

Bruce Wrenn
11-24-2021, 8:56 PM
Personally I would not go to bed with the oven on nor would I leave home with something in the oven.

When you go to bed, do you turn off the heat and water heater? Also don't forget to unplug the fridge. It's no different than using the crock pot. The birds I cook run just a little over 20#. That's as big as my roaster will hold. Put it in around 8:30 PM, and take it out around 7:00 AM. Probably could shorten time by a couple hours, but this works with my schedule

Prashun Patel
11-24-2021, 11:29 PM
I use a meat thermometer. As soon as it’s 5 degrees shy, take it out.

Bruce Wrenn
11-25-2021, 8:35 AM
I use a meat thermometer. As soon as it’s 5 degrees shy, take it out.

22# turkey, put in the oven around 9:00 PM last night. Taken out this morning at 7:00 AM. Internal temp 200 degrees. Turkey wasn't completely thawed when it went into oven. Because it's "sealed" in roaster, it's nice and moist. Around 4:30 this morning, whole house smelt like Thanksgiving morning, so most likely turkey could have been cut off then.

Frank Pratt
11-25-2021, 8:55 AM
22# turkey, put in the oven around 9:00 PM last night. Taken out this morning at 7:00 AM. Internal temp 200 degrees. Turkey wasn't completely thawed when it went into oven. Because it's "sealed" in roaster, it's nice and moist. Around 4:30 this morning, whole house smelt like Thanksgiving morning, so most likely turkey could have been cut off then.

Our definitions of a properly done turkey are obviously very different. While the legs & thighs will at least be edible at 200, the breast meat will be very dry & tough. Think the turkey from "Chirstmas Vacation" :) At that point the proteins in the muscle fibers are so denatured that no amount of gravy or fat will counteract that kind of damage. Sealing the moisture in the roaster will do nothing to prevent it from being overdone. It certainly will smell great though.

Do an experiment. Cut a turkey breast in two & cook one half to 200 & the other to 165. You'll be amazed at the difference.

Ronnie Hurst
11-25-2021, 9:22 AM
I didn't see a mention for brining the Turkey first. Once I tried that years ago I haven't turned back. So moist! Worth the extra effort.

Prashun Patel
11-25-2021, 9:22 AM
I love that everyone has their own method that they swear is the best. For my part, in 18 years, my theory is that the only that matters is moistness. Injections, sealing, slow cooking, nothing matters if you go over 165 on the breast.

It ain’t sexy, but the easiest method for me is butterflying and then cutting the legs and wings off. Salt the night before. Cook the breast to 160 and the legs to 180. Let them rest a few mins out of the oven as they come up to temp another 5 degrees. Rely on the gravy for flavor.

No big contraptions or hulabaloo; the guests think it’s magic because it’s so easy.

Bill Dufour
11-25-2021, 10:48 AM
My tip is to place the raw bird onto the lifting chain apparatus in the pan then lift and move things around until it is balanced. Do this first thing so it will be correctly balanced when it is hot.
Then do any covering with foil etc, cook, enjoy.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
11-25-2021, 11:44 AM
My method is very simple and easy… Let the wife take care of it.

It comes out fine every time. At least that is what I tell her if I want to stay happy the next few months.

jtk

Frank Pratt
11-25-2021, 12:48 PM
I love that everyone has their own method that they swear is the best. For my part, in 18 years, my theory is that the only that matters is moistness. Injections, sealing, slow cooking, nothing matters if you go over 165 on the breast.

It ain’t sexy, but the easiest method for me is butterflying and then cutting the legs and wings off. Salt the night before. Cook the breast to 160 and the legs to 180. Let them rest a few mins out of the oven as they come up to temp another 5 degrees. Rely on the gravy for flavor.

No big contraptions or hulabaloo; the guests think it’s magic because it’s so easy.

This is exactly correct. It's all about the temperature. I've tried brining, but that can result meat that is technically juicier, but it can also be kinda watery. I do give the bird a good rub with salt & let it sit a day or so in the fridge before proceeding with the seasoning & roasting.

Edward Weber
11-26-2021, 3:53 PM
I didn't see a mention for brining the Turkey first. Once I tried that years ago I haven't turned back. So moist! Worth the extra effort.

Same here, +1 for brining

Rob Luter
11-26-2021, 6:54 PM
My method is very simple and easy… Let the wife take care of it.

It comes out fine every time. At least that is what I tell her if I want to stay happy the next few months.

jtk

Pro move. If momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.

Scott Kilroy
11-26-2021, 9:47 PM
That looks really really good.

Mike Soaper
12-01-2021, 6:56 PM
When you go to bed, do you turn off the heat and water heater? Also don't forget to unplug the fridge. It's no different than using the crock pot. The birds I cook run just a little over 20#. That's as big as my roaster will hold. Put it in around 8:30 PM, and take it out around 7:00 AM. Probably could shorten time by a couple hours, but this works with my schedule

just this past thanksgiving had a friend put the turkey in his oven and left the room for a while (don't know how long, about 2hr's?) but when he went to check on the turkey the kitchen was very hot, the exterior of the oven very hot to the touch, and the bird well done.

I suggested that maybe the oven door wasn't fully closed, but he's not taking a chance on a suspected wonky oven so he's bought a new one.

Bill Dufour
12-01-2021, 9:43 PM
Cheapskate tip: when the little popup button pops up pull it out with gloves and push it down. then run cold water over it while holding it down until it stays down. It will work fine the next time.
Bill D

Jason Roehl
12-02-2021, 8:56 AM
This is exactly correct. It's all about the temperature. I've tried brining, but that can result meat that is technically juicier, but it can also be kinda watery. I do give the bird a good rub with salt & let it sit a day or so in the fridge before proceeding with the seasoning & roasting.

We call that “dry brining.” And it’s our preferred method, along with smoking to 160°F internal temperature (it sits for a while then, but it’s still safe based on time-at-temp.”)