PDA

View Full Version : What Do I need?

George Summers
01-15-2006, 6:21 PM
First off, I'm a total 'Turning' newbie. Bought an infamous HF 34706 before Christmas and am going to take my first turning class (Basic Turning 101 at Woodcraft) the first of Feb. I have a basic tool set and will be taking a followup sharpening class at Woodcraft also. Starting with pens, what do I need besides wood to make pens. I know I need mandrels for the various size pens (7mm, 10mm, etc), a drilling jig/vise/guide, a press, barrel trimmers for the varous sizes, and what ever else. No need to tie up bandwidth here but if you want to go ahead. I am asking (replies here or via PM) what is the minimum beginning list of tools needed, brand recommendations, size recommendations, and recommendations of anything I didn't mention above. Is there a package available that will include the above at a reduced (package) price? I think that I am only talking the basic tooling here as I know that you can buy (and have to buy) the correct tube sizes and hardware kits individually for whichever pen you are making. I have found all sorts of individual tutorials on the web and various forums concerning individual aspects of pen turning, but nothing that gives me an overview of the basic needs. Finally, I am not financially independant so price is a small part of the process.

George

Chris Barton
01-15-2006, 9:40 PM
Hi George,

Try taking a look at this link:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27376&highlight=beginning+turning

Many posts are available by search regarding this topic.

Andy Hoyt
01-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Or this one. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26539

Actually just about any thread started by Bob Ellsworth Rosand Vesery Noles in the last two months are a very informative read.

Bob Noles
01-16-2006, 6:47 AM
Andy.....

Um.... I heard that :D

btw.... how many more "tocks" does Ken get? That's already more than you gave me :eek:

John Hart
01-16-2006, 7:20 AM
George...just a note, along with the advice that you'll find here and on some of the other threads....It's not really necessary to buy many of the tools that folks will recommend. They are simply pointing out all the possibilities of the tools and devices that will make life a little easier. In reality, you can get everything you need on a modest budget. I make all my pens with just the lathe, pen kits, and mandrel. I've never used a pen press, although I have one...I just use my drill press. I've never used a barrel trimmer, although everyone swears by them, I use my disk sander...etc.

For a while, I just used a pair of pliers to hold my blanks while drilling but finally got a vise for that when HF put them on sale. Don't mean to be negative about all the toys available...that's not my intent. In fact, I'll probably end up getting all that stuff. But I have learned a lot by doing it the other way. Just my $.02.

Chris Barton
01-16-2006, 8:58 AM
Just one additional word of wisedom here. Visit PSI website and request the free DVD on penturning and get the certificate for a $10 discount on your fist purchase. You know you will need a mandrel so with that cupon its almost free...

PS: the dvd aint bad either, a little crude, but not bad