PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if my TV can be fixed by degaussing...

Tim Morton
01-15-2006, 5:52 PM
I know that you guys are some of the smartest individuals on the planet, so I thought i would throw this out to see if anyone can advise me here. I have a 32inch Panasonic TV that is maybe 7 years old and in perfect condition, ot at least it was until this morning. I woke up and turned it on to see a circular rainbow pattern over the whole screen. Its the kind of coloring that happens when you put a speaker too close to the screen. But that isn't the case..nothing was changed in the room and its the same as its been for 5 years....it is gettign better over the day but seems to have settled into one pattern...any suggestions would be helpful. I have researched and found some ideas..but nothign worked.

Loy Hawes
01-15-2006, 6:07 PM
You might find some answers at avsforum.com

John Shuk
01-15-2006, 7:32 PM
My Sony degausses each time it turns on. I guess you've turned it on a couple times by now though. Good luck.

Tim Morton
01-15-2006, 8:29 PM
My Sony degausses each time it turns on. I guess you've turned it on a couple times by now though. Good luck.

yes, I have been trying that. I did read that the internal degaussing was not powerful enough to clear the screen once it got messed up. I have tried a soldering gun, blow dryer and drill. I think if I may order a degaussing tool tomorrow if my dealer doesn't have one to lend me.

Tim Burke
01-15-2006, 8:33 PM
It sounds like a magnet got near the metalic shadowmask in the tube that helps form the picture. The metal can become magnetized and cause the image you see.

All color tv's have a built in degaussing coil around the tube. It turns on for just a second when the tv is turned on from a cold start. It is not as strong of a field as a hand held demagnetizer, but it eventually will likely go away on its own. If it doesn't, you'll need to get a demagnetizer and run it around the face of the tube. I use a bulk tape eraser from Radio Shack.

Tim

Tim Morton
01-15-2006, 9:37 PM
It sounds like a magnet got near the metalic shadowmask in the tube that helps form the picture. The metal can become magnetized and cause the image you see.

All color tv's have a built in degaussing coil around the tube. It turns on for just a second when the tv is turned on from a cold start. It is not as strong of a field as a hand held demagnetizer, but it eventually will likely go away on its own. If it doesn't, you'll need to get a demagnetizer and run it around the face of the tube. I use a bulk tape eraser from Radio Shack.

Tim

I'm thinking aliens...I shut it off at midnightish after the pats game:mad: and turned it back on at 7 in the mornign when I woke up. It was fine when I went to bed, and noone was in the room all night...it must be aliens.:eek:

Bob Johnson2
01-16-2006, 8:44 AM
I've got a 36" Panasonic, roughly the same vintage, and had the same problem. I called about service and the tech told me it sounded like the degauser was shot. He asked me to unplug the set for a few minutes then plug it back in and see what happens, which was no change. He said something about the degauser going on when AC is first applied. Just so happens I have an old and very unused degausing coil. It took out most of the color rings but they came back a few times later on. I used the ring each time and eventually they never returned. I did have an off color spot in one corner for a year or so but it's gone now.
The tech also mentioned if it wasn't the degauser then the tube was shot. It was something like $60 for the house call (didn't want to try carrying a 36") and $140 for the bd, if I had had it done.
If you'd like, I can send you the ring, just send it back when your done.

Rob Glynn
01-16-2006, 8:56 AM
Don't do what I did.

We had a 20 year old Hyundai TV that I had won in a competition. It developed a purple circle in the centre of the screen. I rang a friend who is an electronic guru for advice.

He told me to get a very strong magnet, hold it close to the centre of the screen and then slowly draw it away from the screen.

I dutifully did what I was told by the "expert".

The result was a screen with a central yellow circle completely surrounded by a big purple circle.

New TV required.

I took my SWMBO to the TV shop to choose a small, cheap set. We are not big TV watchers

We came out with a $2000 flat screen and a DVD player that her ladyship thought were "cute" and would fit nicely in the space available.

I subsequently told my friend where to put the strong magnet.

Tim Morton
01-16-2006, 4:22 PM
Don't do what I did.

We had a 20 year old Hyundai TV that I had won in a competition. It developed a purple circle in the centre of the screen. I rang a friend who is an electronic guru for advice.

He told me to get a very strong magnet, hold it close to the centre of the screen and then slowly draw it away from the screen.

I dutifully did what I was told by the "expert".

The result was a screen with a central yellow circle completely surrounded by a big purple circle.

New TV required.

I took my SWMBO to the TV shop to choose a small, cheap set. We are not big TV watchers

We came out with a $2000 flat screen and a DVD player that her ladyship thought were "cute" and would fit nicely in the space available.

I subsequently told my friend where to put the strong magnet.

See I am a pretty big sports fan and the idea of this TV not being fixed and leading me to shop for a larger set is not completely a bummer too me. But I would much rather get 3 or 4 more good years out of this one and then put in in the basement and shop for a big screen TV.

Tim Morton
01-16-2006, 4:24 PM
I've got a 36" Panasonic, roughly the same vintage, and had the same problem. I called about service and the tech told me it sounded like the degauser was shot. He asked me to unplug the set for a few minutes then plug it back in and see what happens, which was no change. He said something about the degauser going on when AC is first applied. Just so happens I have an old and very unused degausing coil. It took out most of the color rings but they came back a few times later on. I used the ring each time and eventually they never returned. I did have an off color spot in one corner for a year or so but it's gone now.
The tech also mentioned if it wasn't the degauser then the tube was shot. It was something like $60 for the house call (didn't want to try carrying a 36") and $140 for the bd, if I had had it done.
If you'd like, I can send you the ring, just send it back when your done.

Thanks for the offer, but like you said it may come back from time to time, so I ordered one this morning from EBAY..figured either way I could sell it on ebay if it does not solve the problem. But i am pretty sure it will.

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 4:36 PM
"Gee, honey...this TV is just plain shot. We really should stop at {Electronics Retailer} on the way to {someplace} and see what is available these days." :D

Robert Mickley
01-17-2006, 2:02 PM
I'm thinking aliens...I shut it off at midnightish after the pats game

Thats what you get for watching the pats :D :D

Think I'll run and hide now!!!!!:)

Tim Morton
01-17-2006, 3:01 PM
Thats what you get for watching the pats :D :D

Think I'll run and hide now!!!!!:)

*LOL*

Update: I read that using a drill would help and of course tried a cordless drill that did not help at all...well just out in the garage I came across an old corded drill. I tried that and it is helping quite a bit. It has cleared it up to the point where it is watchable, and I bet if I worked at it for awhile I may clear it up 90-95%. Whihc gives me great relief, as I thought maybe it was a tube gone bad. I have the degausser still coming...so I will quit while I can still watch it.:cool: