PDA

View Full Version : Round stock cutting on bandsaw

Greg Pierce
01-15-2006, 5:41 PM
I have been looking through all my back issues of WW magazines looking for an article on a jig to run round stock through a bandsaw to hold it steady while cutting to get a straight cut, without the round stock turning. Does anyone have a jig/style/method ? Also, same round stock. I need to drill holes in two sides, 90 degrees apart, got a jig?
Thanks

Frank Hagan
01-15-2006, 5:58 PM
For hole drilling, I just use a short piece of 4x4 with a V cut in it. The round stock rests in the v cut. This doesn't index it, so you'd have to mark the stock where you are drilling it. I'm assuming you are talking about dowel sized stock.

I have seen the bandsaw jigs for sawing round stock. One that I saw was simply an L-shaped carrier, with the upright riding along the fence. The round stock was put in the jig, and drywall screws driven through the upright portion into the round stock to hold it in place. The bottom of the jig was considered "sacrificial", and you sawed it off as you sliced the round stock into planks.

There is also a commercial jig for sawing lumber from small logs, but I couldn't find it with a Google search.

Greg Pierce
01-15-2006, 6:02 PM
Thanks Frank, I was planning on making a v-shaped holder. I am cutting/drilling pieces as large as 4". My main problem on drilling isnt the first hole, it's the second that needs to be 90 degrees from the first, on the "other side" if you will. I drill one hole, rotate the round stock 1/4 turn and drill the next. I just want them to be perfectly 90 degrees, I need something better than my failing eyes to guide me.
Thanks

Frank Hagan
01-15-2006, 6:05 PM
I found a couple of things:

An attorney by day, this guy cuts logs with a bandsaw by night. The page includes the disclaimers an attorney would issue ... pretty funny, actually. Anyway, its a more sophisticated form of my "sacrificial base" sled idea that uses its own moveable fence:

http://users.goldengate.net/~kbrady/LogSled.html

And this one uses a pipe clamp to hold the log in place. Probably not the best solution for small dowels or that type of thing, but would work for larger stock:

http://www.beaverpondstudio.com/Log_Jig.html

Dave Richards
01-15-2006, 6:22 PM
Greg, could you temporarily attach a a square piece of plywood to each end of the turned piece? That would give you the flat surfaces to put on the drill press table and of course the 90° reference.

Bruce Page
01-15-2006, 8:33 PM
I used to cut alum. bar stock on the bandsaw - up to 10" dia. I just used a bar clamp across the end and resting on the table. A wooden "V" block arrangement would be better.

Greg Pierce
01-15-2006, 9:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I knew there was an easy fix for both. I was over thinking the whole thing. Square blocks on the end is too simple, thanks. The sliding jig is great too, more advanced than I actually need for this, but I have a future project I will file that away for.
Thanks for the info!

Dave Richards
01-15-2006, 9:38 PM
Greg, if you'd like I'll come up with something more complex. :D Usually I'm pretty good at making a simple job as difficult as possible. ;)

Greg Pierce
01-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Dave,
I can relate, I often overlook the obviously simple. Thinking it MUST be harder than this. Sometimes, I leave it alone and come back another day and the answer is staring me in the face, along with all the tools, pencils, and other things I couldn't find the day before. I know they weren't on the bench yesterday.