PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Bowls

Brad Hammond
07-18-2003, 2:22 PM
what do ya'll use for sanding bowls while they're on the lathe? pneumatic sanders, good ole hand held sandpaper or a homeade device?
thanx
brad

Ted Okolichany
07-18-2003, 7:51 PM
what do ya'll use for sanding bowls while they're on the lathe? pneumatic sanders, good ole hand held sandpaper or a homeade device?
thanx
brad

Brad,

I use a right angle variable speed drill with velcro pad and velcro 2 inch sanding disks. Depends on the wood, start from 60 grit up to 800 grit at times. Also use handheld sandpaper and wet sand sometimes too.

Ted

Bill Howatt
07-18-2003, 8:03 PM
thanx
brad

Brad,

I use handheld paper typically 100-600 and higher grit but often use regular electric drill with 2" velcro sanding disks. Drill method is great for getting rid of the concentric sanding marks and that annoying bump in the center of the bowl which sometimes develops.

I usually finish with wet sanding, mostly with mineral oil. If you haven't done this try it. It works wonders on less than smooth end-grain.

Bill

Brad Hammond
07-18-2003, 8:08 PM
Brad,

I use handheld paper typically 100-600 and higher grit but often use regular electric drill with 2" velcro sanding disks. Drill method is great for getting rid of the concentric sanding marks and that annoying bump in the center of the bowl which sometimes develops.

I usually finish with wet sanding, mostly with mineral oil. If you haven't done this try it. It works wonders on less than smooth end-grain.

Bill

great guys..........this is the info i'm looking for.
i'll try the mineral oil wet sand.........i've always had trouble with endgrain, but i'm getting better i think
thanx again
brad

Barbara Gill
07-20-2003, 12:13 PM
There is some excellent information on sanding here http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russindex.shtml

You might also want to check out the reviews section.

Brad Hammond
07-20-2003, 1:20 PM
excellent info barbara! thanx alot
brad

There is some excellent information on sanding here http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russindex.shtml

You might also want to check out the reviews section.

Barbara Gill
07-20-2003, 7:15 PM
You are welcome Brad.