PDA

View Full Version : Quick Rehab of an Irwin 'Perfect Handle' Screwdriver

Jim Koepke
11-18-2021, 5:02 PM
On my way home from a trip in to town yesterday, it seemed a good idea to stop at one of my favorite second hand stores. Not much but there was a lightly beat up Irwin branded Perfect Handle screwdriver:

It was only $3 so what the heck. This is actually only the second one in my shop but it appeared to be a size between some of the drivers already in my accumulation of screwdrivers.

The first point of order was to clean up the chewed up tip. This may have been from opening too many paint cans or just a lot of use. Not wanting to get vise jaw marks on the shaft a piece of scrap was drilled and ripped to make a holder:

A bastard file made quick work to the faces of the screwdriver:

After this the faces were smoothed out on my flat disk sharpening system. The tip was also filed flat and straight. The wooden parts of the handle were sanded:

A little furniture wax/oil was rubbed into the handle.

A little extra work was needed to fit the slots on the larger screws in my shop:

It is a perfect fit for various #14 screws in the shop bins.

jtk

Mike Manning
11-18-2021, 8:28 PM
Nice work there Jim. I need to do this to the smaller of a set of 3 I picked up at an estate sale earlier this year. Thanks for the reminder!