PDA

View Full Version : Veritas MKII Sharpening Question

Dave Richards
01-15-2006, 3:18 PM
I've been working with my MKII trying to sharpen some chisels. I started with an inexpensive Stanley and it turns out to be a good thing. Without meaning to, I'm turning it into a skew chisel and I can't figure out why. Maybe someone could give me some ideas?

Here's the deal. As you look at the bevel with the cutting edge away from you, I'm grinding off more on the left than the right. I've leveled the bar with the disk, checked and confirmed the chisel is square to the holder and made sure to avoid applying pressure to the chisel so as to prevent the bar from deflecting.

I'm running out of ideas and if I grind much more I'm going to run out of chisel! Help! Thanks.

Mike Wenzloff
01-15-2006, 3:56 PM
Just for others to note, you are talking about the motorized MK.II, correct? What follows is based upon that assumption.

Disc-based sharpening systems can grind away steel unevenly, based upon which side of the platter you are using. This is because the outer portion of the platter is turning much faster than the inner portion.

Try moving/sliding the chisel to both sides with light pressure as you are sharpening. If the above is the cause, you will balance out the grind.

Take care, Mike

Mark Singer
01-15-2006, 6:18 PM
It could be because the sides of the chisel are not square to the blade....register off the bevel if it is square...if the side has a small taper it will through you off

Steve Clardy
01-15-2006, 6:39 PM
I have that sharpener. Have not encountered that problem.
Slide the chisel, tool holder side to side.
Put a litle lubricate on the tool bar, makes it slide better.
Watch out when sliding it in toward the center of disc. You may hit the brass knurled wheel holding know. Ouch. Yes I have done that.

Edit. Dave. After using the guide to line up your chisel in the holder, use a small square to make sure chisel is square to holder.
It's easy to get off some, as it's basically an eyeball alignment.

Michael Fross
01-16-2006, 8:09 AM
I've been working with my MKII trying to sharpen some chisels. I started with an inexpensive Stanley and it turns out to be a good thing. Without meaning to, I'm turning it into a skew chisel and I can't figure out why. Maybe someone could give me some ideas?

Here's the deal. As you look at the bevel with the cutting edge away from you, I'm grinding off more on the left than the right. I've leveled the bar with the disk, checked and confirmed the chisel is square to the holder and made sure to avoid applying pressure to the chisel so as to prevent the bar from deflecting.

I'm running out of ideas and if I grind much more I'm going to run out of chisel! Help! Thanks.
Hello Dave,

I have the exact same issue with everything I sharpen with it. What I've been doing it just applying a little more pressure to the opposite side and watch it as I go.

I'll do some checks tonight and see if anything is out of square, but it is frustrating.

Michael

Doug Evans
01-16-2006, 8:16 AM
We have sharpened many (more than 100) hardened A2 irons on this system and the system works quite well. I am actually surprised that the rest stays level given the workout.

There are chisels that taper on their way down to the tip. Is this possibly the case?

Doug Evans

Dave Richards
01-16-2006, 8:32 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I have a few more things to check. As to a taper on the sides of the chisel, I don't think so but I'm going to stick a dial caliper on it and find out. If it is tapered, it isn't by very much.

Now it is just a matter of being able to get back into the shop to do the testing.