PDA

View Full Version : G0586 fence is warped?

Brian Runau
11-15-2021, 10:29 AM
Ok, I am spending way to much time on my machines vs actually butchering wood, but ...

I think my fence is warped. Grizzly Go586. I squared it before and after the cutter head, but the 1-3/4 square leg did not come out at 90 degrees. @ 54" long at this point. The fence is not square on either end when it is square at the cutter head. See pics. I don't want to try and bend it flat, I think my only option is to have it machined flat? thanks Brian

John TenEyck
11-15-2021, 4:50 PM
Have you checked the fence itself with a straight edge? Another way of asking are you sure the jointer tables are flat and true?

Assuming and hoping it's the fence, you could have it machined flat or you could add a wooden fence on the face of it and joint that flat. I once flattened a dished planer bed with Bondo, scraped and sanded it flat, and then covered it with a sheet of 1/16" stainless steel. It was as good as new.

John

Brian Runau
11-15-2021, 6:31 PM
Have you checked the fence itself with a straight edge? Another way of asking are you sure the jointer tables are flat and true?

Assuming and hoping it's the fence, you could have it machined flat or you could add a wooden fence on the face of it and joint that flat. I once flattened a dished planer bed with Bondo, scraped and sanded it flat, and then covered it with a sheet of 1/16" stainless steel. It was as good as new.

John

John: Looks like it is a little low in the middle of the out feed table, but I don't think it is enough to make a big difference?

468251 468252 468253

Edward Weber
11-15-2021, 7:48 PM
Are you positive that both tables are square to each other and the cutter head.
If this is a new machine, one thing that can happen is too much packing grease, everywhere. If it gets globbed onto the table ways, it can throw then out of alignment. If the tables aren't on the same plane the fence will look warped.

John TenEyck
11-15-2021, 7:58 PM
What's the straightedge look like against the fence?

John

Brian Runau
11-16-2021, 8:28 AM
What's the straightedge look like against the fence?

John

John. good morning. Appreciate the walk through. There looks to be a bow in the out feed side of the fence and depending on where I put the square to check it would certainly seem off. Brian

Edward Weber
11-16-2021, 10:29 AM
I would suggest removing the fence and checking it against a 'known" flat surface like your saw table.
Trying to check for flatness will be all but impossible when you reference surface is two different planes that move independently of each other.
Hope you get it solved

John TenEyck
11-16-2021, 10:42 AM
I agree with Ed. Now that you have evidence the fence isn't true it would be best to put in on a known flat surface which, hopefully, means your TS but if not something else that's truly flat, and see what it looks like around the edges.

A bow in the fence wouldn't be so bad actually. What would be bad, as your first post suggested, is if the fence isn't true in the vertical plane. So what you are looking for when it's on the TS is the gap between the fence and saw table, front to back. End to end doesn't really matter. If the gap front to back is within a couple of thousands at each independent location along the fence then there's really no issue. Your first post suggested it's out more than a few thousandths, though, but checking isn't that hard with a set of feeler gauges. Good luck.

John

Brian Runau
11-16-2021, 11:03 AM
I agree with Ed. Now that you have evidence the fence isn't true it would be best to put in on a known flat surface which, hopefully, means your TS but if not something else that's truly flat, and see what it looks like around the edges.

A bow in the fence wouldn't be so bad actually. What would be bad, as your first post suggested, is if the fence isn't true in the vertical plane. So what you are looking for when it's on the TS is the gap between the fence and saw table, front to back. End to end doesn't really matter. If the gap front to back is within a couple of thousands at each independent location along the fence then there's really no issue. Your first post suggested it's out more than a few thousandths, though, but checking isn't that hard with a set of feeler gauges. Good luck.

John

thanks for your help. Brian