PDA

View Full Version : Delta "Super 900" Radial Saw PM-1818

Jay Cogswell
11-15-2021, 10:21 AM
I recently became the beneficiary of a late 1950's Delta "Super 900" Radial Saw, including the stand, work-top and Owner's Manual. All the parts except the wrenches appear to be there. I have begun taking it apart in order to clean, oil/lube the various moving parts, and discovered that the motor wiring is rotted/falling apart, so will attempt to replace the wiring. With that said, I am not a mechanic, so don't know if the motor needs re-building (new bearings, other?). Does anyone in the Forum have experience in the area, perhaps even with the Delta "Super 900" and could give me some guidance as to what I should be looking for? Before the wiring fell apart, I did plug it in and the motor works (i.e., turns over). Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Best, JC

Dave Cav
11-15-2021, 2:01 PM
Given the age I would say that yes, the motor bearings should be replaced.

If you go over to OWWM dot ORG and VintageMachinery dot ORG you will find a ton of information

Bill Dufour
11-15-2021, 3:20 PM
The grease in the bearings is 70 some years old so it is dried out and needs to be replaced. The bearings may be fine but unlikely you can remove them without damage. Just get new sealed units. I like to take apart the old ones and grind them down a little and use them to push the new ones in place.
Bill D.

Jay Cogswell
11-16-2021, 5:13 PM
Thank you, I will do just that. Much appreciated. Best, JC

Jay Cogswell
11-16-2021, 5:15 PM
Right. Sounds like a relatively serious project. Will also look into new sealed units. Thanks for the guidance. Best, JC

Michael Schuch
11-16-2021, 7:29 PM
My fathers Super 900 died when the centripetal switch in the motor broke causing the windings to burn... just something to be careful of. We found another 10" Delta turret arm saw a few months later which was a LOT cheaper than having the motor rebuilt. I still use the replacement RAS when helping my Mother out with chores around her place.