PDA

View Full Version : St. Basil's the box in Masur Birch....

Michael Stafford
01-15-2006, 2:34 PM
Well, I finally got the guts to put a piece of Masur birch on my lathe. After turning it round I took it from between centers and studied the grain patterns on the circumference and on both ends. I decided that this shape was the best way to show as much of this magnificent wood as possible. Man, is this wood a pleasure to turn. It cuts like butter leaving an almost burnished surface behind and sands easily, polishing like a piece of glass. Then it finishes up smooth as silk. What a great wood!

This box is a little less than 2 3/4" in diameter and slightly under 4 3/4" tall. The picture of the inside of the box and lid really shows just how beautiful this wood is. I will definitely turn some more when I get the chance.

Keith Burns
01-15-2006, 2:39 PM
Big Mike that is one fantistic looking box that displays the grain exceptionally well. Great form and finish:) :) :)

Jeremiah Jordan
01-15-2006, 2:41 PM
Nice looking box there Micheal. Just wondering what finish you used on it?

Jeremiah

Bill Stevener
01-15-2006, 2:52 PM
Hi Mike, I really like that box. It appears to have an Russian influence. Very nice form, I must find some of that wood, like to see if the character will display as well in some mines.

Thanks for putting that one up,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Curt Fuller
01-15-2006, 2:56 PM
That's beautiful. I love the onion shaped lid! That shape seems to be perfect for the wood too.

Corey Hallagan
01-15-2006, 2:58 PM
Mike, that is one of the most beautiful pieces of wood I have seen. The shape is great, reminds me a little temple. Very nice!

Corey

Gary Max
01-15-2006, 3:12 PM
Show off----looks great Mike.

Mark Cothren
01-15-2006, 3:16 PM
It's the Taj Mahal of boxes, Big Mike. Fantabulous!

Thanks for the pictures!

Michael Stafford
01-15-2006, 3:24 PM
Bill, I have turned boxes similar in shape to this one in the past. Recently Jim Becker had a post where he and his family were standing in front of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. If you google St. Basil's you will see where I got the inspiration for the shape.

Jeremiah, I used my homemade concoction of varnish and oil thinned to wiping consistency that I apply with a brush, allow to soak in and then wipe dry with paper towels. Then I buff it dry, in a friction polish sort of way with more paper towels and non-abrasive 3M pads. I repeat until the wood refuses any more finish and there are no more dry spots. Seems to build up a nice shine.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I do appreciate it.

Dick Parr
01-15-2006, 3:31 PM
Wow Mike that sure is some pretty wood. I love that style of box also. It looks like everything came together in this one box.

I bet that one is not for sale.:D

Bill Stevener
01-15-2006, 4:24 PM
Bill, I have turned boxes similar in shape to this one in the past. Recently Jim Becker had a post where he and his family were standing in front of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. If you google St. Basil's you will see where I got the inspiration for the shape.

Hay Mike, shows I don't know much about St. Basil's, you must have gotten it close, because it sure looks Russian to me.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
01-15-2006, 4:38 PM
Wild looking chunk o' wood. I like it - lots.

Mark Cothren
01-15-2006, 5:16 PM
Well, I wasn't too far off...:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/markfromark/taj_mahal.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
01-15-2006, 5:50 PM
Mike awesome box. I really like how it finished on the Birch.

Shelley Bolster
01-15-2006, 7:25 PM
That has got to be one of your prettiest turned boxes to date Mike.......amazing wood - great shape - as always, wonderful finish. You better get some more of the Masur back on the lathe Michael. I wouldn't be surprised that between you and Travis, the interest in Masur is growing by leaps and bounds.

Dennis Peacock
01-15-2006, 7:35 PM
Absolutely GAWGEOUS Big Mike!!!!! I love it!!!!!! That wood is simply spectacular. More, More!!!!!!! ;) :D

Thanks for sharing the pics Big Mike. Those are awsome.

Travis Stinson
01-15-2006, 7:40 PM
Mike, that's gotta be one of the prettiest pieces of Masur Birch I've seen. Same goes for the box, a perfect match for each other.
I guess there goes my connection for that stuff, you'll be hogging it all now!:p :D

Robert Mickley
01-15-2006, 7:43 PM
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

That is some wicked pretty wood. Man I gots to git me some of that stuff

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-15-2006, 7:52 PM
Mike...........The shape is perfection and the wood is unquestionable some of the MOST beautiful I've ever seen.

Bruce

Jim Ketron
01-15-2006, 8:30 PM
:eek: WOW!
:eek: :eek: WOW!
:eek: :eek: :eek: WOW!
Man That is pretty!
:eek: :eek::eek: :eek: WOW!
AWESOME!

Bob Noles
01-15-2006, 8:50 PM
Mike,

What can I say that hasn't already been expressed.... How about I just double what everone else has alread said?

That is some FANTASTIC work and a very special wood. I am just blown away by the quaility on all accounts.

Ernie Nyvall
01-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Nice one Mike. I really like that form.

Ernie

Scott Donley
04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Outstanding box ! Looks real nice in the new issue of Woodcraft Magazine also :) Congrats to you and your work.

Ed Scolforo
04-02-2006, 2:18 PM
Mike, gorgeous wood with a form that really compliments it. Well done!
Ed

Christopher K. Hartley
04-02-2006, 4:06 PM
Mike, can we call you Mr Box Master? This is Fantastic! Wonderful Job!

Jim Becker
04-02-2006, 9:50 PM
Well...I think he nailed the thing pretty good...here's what the "real McCoy" looks like for comparison. (Maybe some spiraling techniques can come into play for future versions of this great form!)

Jim Ketron
04-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Congrats on getting it in the Mag Mike, well deserved!;)

Corey Hallagan
04-02-2006, 10:14 PM
It's always great to see this box come up. It is one of my favorite boxes, the shape, the wood and the finish.

Corey

Andy Hoyt
04-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Well...I think he nailed the thing pretty good...here's what the "real McCoy" looks like for comparison. (Maybe some spiraling techniques can come into play for future versions of this great form!) Hey Mike. Jim's onto something here.

Now's your chance to latch onto a rose engine.

John Miliunas
04-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Mike, I wouldn't expect anything less than beautiful to come off your lathe! :) This box is absolutely no exception to that line of thought. Great job!!! :) :cool: