PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Wood

Joe Pelonio
01-15-2006, 12:45 PM
My wife and I decided to take out a cherry tree that is 5" diameter at the base. It's an odd shape and too close to the front door. It may be ornamental but more likely edible with not enough sun to grow fruit, as it does form cherries but they die when the size of peas. Is this something that someone might be able to use, or should I use it for firewood when we cut it down. Am in Seattle area.

Glenn Hodges
01-15-2006, 2:53 PM
Joe if it is wood you can make something from it. What you make should be especially meanifull to you because it came from your home. Maybe someone on the Creek living nearby will contact you. If not get in touch with the AAW (American Association of Woodturners) and contact the local chapter for help in locating a turner. When you cut it down you need to coat the ends of the tree with wax to prevent it from splitting. Good luck....

John Hart
01-16-2006, 7:04 AM
Joe, just thinking about 5" diameter cherry, I think about vases. Then again...I also think about lamps, bottle stoppers, handles, pens, my goofy clocks, and a bunch of other things. The shipping charges would be high though coming across the country. I agree with Glenn....Cut it and seal the ends...That tree will make some wonderful things that last forever... and fire is such a short-lived thing. :(

Jim Becker
01-16-2006, 11:14 AM
I agree with John...a 5" cherry tree is pretty small, but for end-grain work it would be very nice, indeed.