PDA

View Full Version : Tip fast way to run a nut onto allthread

Bill Dufour
11-12-2021, 10:42 PM
I had to run some 1/4" nuts onto some allthread down about 8 " I quickly got tired of spinning them with my fingers. Chucked up a small wire wheel in the cordless drill and used that to spim them down. Worked quite well.
Bill D

Carroll Courtney
11-13-2021, 1:59 PM
That's a good ideal, yrs ago while doing electrical had 4 pieces of all thread mounted to bar joist overhead. Couple pieces of unistrut with a transformer setting on unistrut which we use visegrips to hold on to nuts and raise transformer to bar joist one turn at time. So your ideal would have come in handy for sure.

Tom M King
11-13-2021, 3:34 PM
I used those long all-thread rods that they sell for hanging unistrut, along with some 4x6's, to tie a falling (slowly) chimney to a 1798 house. We were scrambling to get it done, and I didn't have a fast way to run the nuts on multiple feet of the rod. I was just using stuff in the truck, and did use the strap on a strap wrench to helps some-shoe shine fashion in one direction. I didn't have dies with me either, so didn't cut the rods for fear of not being able to get the nuts on.

I would have liked to have had your method stored in my memory that day, but my mind was racing thinking about what we needed to do in a hurry. I happened to see the chimney had shifted that morning, and we had this done by lunch.