PDA

View Full Version : Just got a scroll saw

jeff oldham
11-12-2021, 10:00 PM
I know this is going to sound crazy but I just bought a scroll saw... actually I got it for my granddaughter...she is 9 and wanted to learn woodworking...so I thought this would be a good starting point...and of course the safest....I got the Delta thinking that it should be a good one but I'm having my doubts..lol...it's probably just me but I feel really uncomfortable trying to show her different things and lol...I'm new to it also....can anybody give some input on this...ohh..and I thought it used both type of blades but I was wrong...this one only uses the plain blades...maybe that is alot of my problem...lol

Myles Moran
11-12-2021, 10:23 PM
I started on a scroll saw when I was 12 or so (unsupervised). It led to me buying a tablesaw a year or two later. Given her age, I think some hands on learning might be helpful for some time, but you'll know better than we do as to when she's competent with the machine and you can let her run it with just supervision.

Also the plain end blades are far better than pin end - I learned on a plain end and inherited a pin end, and I much preferred the plain end machine for the more intricate work it could get inside.

Dave VanDewerker
11-13-2021, 2:41 PM
make a small knob with a cut out for the top and bottom thumb screws to make tightening the blades up easy for small/weak hands