PDA

View Full Version : The Rehab Shop is still going

steven c newman
11-12-2021, 8:12 AM
Next on the List? Something so ugly, even the camera had "Issues"
And that "handle" like object could do with a "Make-over"
A WS 4" x 16" miter box saw...so...I remove the handle from the saw plate....then removed 90% of the rustiness...Couple bolts were replace..

As for that handle? bandsaw to cut a better shape....then a Dremel on a flex-shaft to round things over...change to a finer grit sanding drum....

MY hand was the judge of how well it fit....and it found a few rough areas....Bolts reworked/replaced....then a stain (for now)..and then wipe it off..and install...
Looks a little bit better?
Saw came with a small Miter box..
price tag for this? $2......Paid price? $1

Need to rehab the box, yet...maybe a new deck? disassemble and clean all the parts....and see how it looks after that....

Saw has plenty of set, I just need to refresh the teeth....Happen to have "Picked" a couple 4" XX Slim files....

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
11-14-2021, 10:32 AM
Mitre box: Needs a new deck...
As this one a getting pretty chewed up...So...a tear down was done....
All the flaky, rusty spots need cleaned up...needed a way to duplicate a "notch" in the deck..
Screwdriver is by Irwin, BTW

Had a decent piece of lumber for a new deck...laid out for a few items..
Set up a 1-7/8" Forstner bit in the drill press...
Then crosscut for length, and ripped for width..
Rather than the notch being too small( there is where the uprights rotate) I decided on a hair loose...
I also wire wheeled all the rust off, including a bit of flaky Nickel plating...
Stay tuned....almost ready to re-assemble....( black spray paint for where the old paint was missing...let that dry while on Laundry Detail..)

steven c newman
11-14-2021, 11:00 AM
First off, need to locate and drill a few pilot holes...

These 2 will hold that metal plate....which also has a "Made in USA" and a degree scale....goes from 45 to 0 to 45 degrees.
Uprights rotate on this plate...there is a captured, square nut inside the uprights.

Fun part was putting the uprights back together, dropping that nut inside, then trying to hit it with the bolt, while trying to install the whole mess...finally..
Was having other issues...While wire wheeling that 3 lobed item...it caught the wheel just right, and joined the 82nd DIV(Airborne......Large VIX bit broke it's drill bit off IN the Ash...had to remove that...got fed up with regular screwdrivers jumping out of the slots of the waxed up screws....we have ways..
Brace was made by Goodell Pratt Company, BEFORE Millers Falls bought them out....."ring shifter" is indeed a loop of steel.

Fence plates use 2 screws....each....as do the "legs"....scratch awl to locate each hole. a #12 countersink bit (adjustable, all in one) to drill the pilot holes. Screws do have a self-drilling slot cut in their threads, meh....Guide slips down into the uprights..
Where a pair of bolts attach things together.....you can lock the guide at whatever height off the deck you want...
Sanded and stained the new Deck....let this dry a day.....then see about a top-coat....

Finally, need to bring the backsaw down to the shop....it has a "Dentist Appointment" and then maybe this $1 Mitersaw will be ready for work?

Stay tuned...:D

steven c newman
11-14-2021, 10:01 PM
Just gave the saw a test drive IN this Mitre Box......yep, will need sharpened up....just a wee bit too dull...even on Pine scrap...

Stay tuned..:D

steven c newman
11-16-2021, 2:42 PM
Won't be today...cramps going on...from right hip down to the big toe...will wait a day, and see how things go. Right knee is fine, and pain-free....Uncle Charles in da house. Not sure I want to stand over a saw vise right now,,,,

I checked the settings with a square...pointer @ 90 degrees = square agrees! I might dribble a little 3in1 oil into the saw guide, to help the saw slide a bit better...

Have laid out those 2 Sargent/Craftsman No. 79s....to see how big of a box I need, to house both of them....might be the next project?

steven c newman
11-19-2021, 7:42 PM
Roh...kay, Raggy....Got the Old Wentworth No. 1 down off the shelf....cleaned him up, drop of oil here and there, via a cheap brush. Set it up in the bench vise, ready for work...
Didn't take very long, of holding that 4" XX SLIM file bare-handed, before a handle was added..
Ah...much better. keeping things rather simple ( most of the gullets were filled with dried crud) just 3 strokes across each tooth, zero rake..just straight across. Ala Paul Sellers...I think the first and maybe the second stroke cleared out the gullets...had to move the saw once, not a big deal. working from heel to the toe.

Earlier, I test drove this saw in mitre box...about 10 strokes worth...meh...so this time around a test drive was done AFTER the file work was done....same number of strokes...
Much better?

I think I can call this little rehab ...done?

Thanks for looking in!

Stew Denton
11-20-2021, 9:51 PM
Steven,

The rehab on the back saw handle spruced it up a great deal, and the miter box looks pretty good too. Good job.

Stew

steven c newman
11-20-2021, 10:06 PM
Not too bad..for a dollar bill?:D