PDA

View Full Version : How to make a claw foot leg?

Josh Goldsmith
01-15-2006, 11:32 AM
I want to learn how to make claw feet legs. I have a slight idea how to carve the claw but haven't actually tried it cause i don't want to waist wood until i talk to you guys. Is there any tutorials out there, or has someone here taking pics of there work and could help walk me through this. Thanks Josh

Tyler Howell
01-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Josh,
Can you find a class or SMC mentor in you area??? I find the class room environment very stimulating and have advanced several levels learning a skill with the guidance of a pro and support of fellow classmates.;)

Carl Eyman
01-15-2006, 1:43 PM
Josh, before I tried making the dining table I did I learned a lot from Ron Clarkson's book (written with a co-author) on making a Chippendale Tea Table. It has over 400 fotos and very detailed instructions. He also wrote a book about making a Chipendale Chair - again very detailed and many pictures. While he shows pictures of the ball & claw foot in the chair book, most pictures deal with a hairy lion's paw. So on the chairs I got Taunton's video with Phillip Lowe who is a great teacher. It is a very good step by step learning aid. If you want to see the results, take a kook at www.eyman.org/furniture. If I can be of further help let me know. For instance, you might want to know what carving tools I used. It sounds like I'm trying to sound like an expert, but I'm not. It's just I did these as my first experience i9n b&c carving; so the questions I had are pretty fresh in my mind.

Richard Wolf
01-15-2006, 2:08 PM
I have also seen Phil Lowe's video on craving a ball and claw foot, and was impressed with the instructional quality of it. If you plan on doing this, it seems a nessesary resource.

Carl- That's a pretty impressive collection of period furniture you have there.

Richard

Clint Malone
01-15-2006, 2:18 PM
Sorry for the direct link; there is a post on woodnet from 5/14/05 by John Fry that describes in detail how to make one. Hope it helps.