PDA

View Full Version : Preping for finishing

Jim Young
07-18-2003, 1:44 PM
Just wondered what other do to get ready for finishing.

Since I like working on bigger (read long term) projects, I don't clean the shop all the time. So when the woodworking portion is done I do a thorough cleaning job to get rid of most of the dust. Today it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get the shop clean. Tonight when the kiddies are a sleep I will start oiling the bed.

David Rose
07-18-2003, 7:44 PM
Jim, with an oil finish I don't do any prep of the area. For built up finishes like poly, I will do some light cleaning and wait a day. I do usually have to make room somewhere (read that "put somethings up") for the finishing work.

David

Just wondered what other do to get ready for finishing.

Since I like working on bigger (read long term) projects, I don't clean the shop all the time. So when the woodworking portion is done I do a thorough cleaning job to get rid of most of the dust. Today it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get the shop clean. Tonight when the kiddies are a sleep I will start oiling the bed.

Howard Acheson
07-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Jim, I find that cleaning the shop area, then turning on the air cleaner, leaving the shop for a couple of hours and then getting to finishing works well. Be sure to dust off your clothing and disturb things as little as possible when you re-enter the area.

Oh, I set up the item for finishing and bring all my finishing items out so that I don't have to run around a lot and stir up the dust.

Jason Roehl
07-19-2003, 1:31 PM
Jim, I find that cleaning the shop area, then turning on the air cleaner, leaving the shop for a couple of hours and then getting to finishing works well. Be sure to dust off your clothing and disturb things as little as possible when you re-enter the area.

Oh, I set up the item for finishing and bring all my finishing items out so that I don't have to run around a lot and stir up the dust.

Sounds like some real good wisdom and experience, Howard!!! Eliminates a lot of variables....

Byron Trantham
07-19-2003, 3:31 PM
Jim, I pretty much do the same as the others. When I'm ready, I get the finishing stuff out, set the piece(s) up to be finished, turn on the overhead are cleaner (JDS) and use the air compressor to blow down the ceiling (exposed trusses) and finally vacuum the floor and wait for at least a couple hours. I use WB lacquer for the final coat and it dries pretty fast and isn't too much of a dust magnet.