PDA

View Full Version : Great search engine we have here

Bert Kemp
11-08-2021, 11:02 PM
I was thinking about what people like to drink, so I searched for Favorite drink and the first 3 that came up were for Orange Shellac :eek:and the forth was do you have a PC in your shop. :rolleyes: To be honest I've never had much luck with the creeks search engine, so I just ask what I want to know now LOL

So hey whats your favorite drink? I'm not much of a drinker but my Dr said a drink before bedtime would help sleep and was also good for health in Gen. So I started with a shot of Brandy ( Apple) Then Blackberry, Then whiskey(yuc) then apple flavored whisky better but still, then a highball ginger ale and apple whisky, this was pretty good then I decided to try apple brandy and ginger ale highball wow that hit the spot, very tasty and refreshing and it helped me to fall asleep easier. So what all does everyone like?

Jerry Bruette
11-08-2021, 11:30 PM
Craft beer, especially wheat beers, and I have a soft spot for Southern Comfort Old Fashions. The Old Fashions are a Wisconsin thing.

That Orange Shellac might be palatable if it was made with Everclear.:D

Jim Koepke
11-08-2021, 11:35 PM
There is a trick to getting better results with the search engine on SMC.

As an example a box was made of poplar for a friend of mine to hold a bunch of files. My search term > poplar file box < didn't give any hits on my post. In fact it gave about one hit and a couple wanna bees:

For some reason the programing of a search through SMC includes a > www. < before sawmillcreek.org (note the dot after www).

Removing the > www. < then hitting return gives a much better result with the post being sought at the top:

Incase anyone cares > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?286634 < Not only did it include the wanted post it also had about 179 hits.

There may be a programmer somewhere who could fix this, but it has come up often and so far no fix.

As far as my favorite pre bedtime drink:

My last bottle was finished months ago. Maybe a bottle shoud go on the next shopping list.

jtk

- it makes you say neeeeeeeek!

Michael Schuch
11-09-2021, 1:53 AM
I was thinking about what people like to drink, so I searched for Favorite drink and the first 3 that came up were for Orange Shellac :eek:and the forth was do you have a PC in your shop. :rolleyes: To be honest I've never had much luck with the creeks search engine, so I just ask what I want to know now LOL

So hey whats your favorite drink? I'm not much of a drinker but my Dr said a drink before bedtime would help sleep and was also good for health in Gen. So I started with a shot of Brandy ( Apple) Then Blackberry, Then whiskey(yuc) then apple flavored whisky better but still, then a highball ginger ale and apple whisky, this was pretty good then I decided to try apple brandy and ginger ale highball wow that hit the spot, very tasty and refreshing and it helped me to fall asleep easier. So what all does everyone like?

I was searching for Orange Shellac and came up with your thread.

Rich Engelhardt
11-09-2021, 6:10 AM
My favorite drink is water.

My favorite beverage is beer.

My favorite aperitif is a Bloody Mary.

My favorite cocktail is a Rye Old Fashioned.

I do enjoy the smell of Orange Shellac though - but - I'll settle for Amber Shellac.... ;) .(what's in a name anyhow?)

Curt Harms
11-09-2021, 8:16 AM
Try using a search engine but specify the terms and site. Using quotes can help narrow the search if there are too many results. Something like "favorite drink" <space>site:sawmillcreek.org. In this search using quotes didn't work, just using favorite drink site:sawmillcreek.org did. I'm not certain this works with all search engines, it does work with Google and Startpage.

Jim Becker
11-09-2021, 9:06 AM
Water, flavored Aha seltzer and ice tea (un-sweetened) for non-alcoholic beverages. Red wine or craft beer for the rare alcoholic beverage...I don't do hard liquor for the most part. If the beer isn't craft, it at least has to be something that has flavor, such as Dos Equis Ambar.

Frank Pratt
11-09-2021, 9:23 AM
I'd say more websites have terrible search engines than those that have ones that actually work. Searching a site with Google is almost always better than the site's own search.

Lee Schierer
11-09-2021, 10:36 AM
So I started with a shot of Brandy ( Apple) Then Blackberry, Then whiskey(yuc) then apple flavored whisky better but still, then a highball ginger ale and apple whisky, this was pretty good then I decided to try apple brandy and ginger ale highball wow that hit the spot, very tasty and refreshing and it helped me to fall asleep easier. So what all does everyone like?

So after all those drinks, it's a wonder you could even stand up!!!! :eek: uhrah!

Bert Kemp
11-09-2021, 12:36 PM
So after all those drinks, it's a wonder you could even stand up!!!! :eek: uhrah!

It was a trying night for sure(pun intended):D467849

Rick Potter
11-09-2021, 12:47 PM
Milk, with a cookie topper.

Kev Williams
11-09-2021, 1:19 PM
Right now my favorite drink is 'vegetable juice cocktail'. The cheaper store versions are just fine. I buy half regular versions and half low sodium versions and mix them together. JUST low sodium is icky, but mixed, the salt is just right..

It's refreshing, good for you (sodium notwithstanding), and if I'm having 'a day', just add some cheap ass vodka :D

For a complete meal, I'll add some worcestershire, Tabasco, celery seed, onion powder, a few good shakes of coarse ground black pepper, topped with celery and carrot sticks, mmmm...

---sounds great, so guess where I'm headed? :)

Jim Koepke
11-10-2021, 10:16 AM
Right now my favorite drink is 'vegetable juice cocktail'. The cheaper store versions are just fine. I buy half regular versions and half low sodium versions and mix them together. JUST low sodium is icky, but mixed, the salt is just right..

It's refreshing, good for you (sodium notwithstanding), and if I'm having 'a day', just add some cheap ass vodka :D

For a complete meal, I'll add some worcestershire, Tabasco, celery seed, onion powder, a few good shakes of coarse ground black pepper, topped with celery and carrot sticks, mmmm...

---sounds great, so guess where I'm headed? :)

You might like to add some basil, oregano and garlic.

jtk

Ronald Blue
11-11-2021, 8:14 AM
Milk, with a cookie topper.

Milk is high on my list too Rick. Water, milk, and coffee. I've never found life to be so unbearable that I needed to "drown my sorrows" and I've experienced one of the worst.

Frank Pratt
11-11-2021, 11:58 AM
This absolutely disgusts my wife, but I love milk with chocolate cake stirred in. She can't even watch me drink that stuff.

Lee DeRaud
11-11-2021, 12:36 PM
It was a trying night for sure(pun intended):D467849
And now, this:

Bert Kemp
11-11-2021, 12:57 PM
And now, this:

CALLING 911 for you

Monte Milanuk
11-11-2021, 4:49 PM
Try using a search engine but specify the terms and site. Using quotes can help narrow the search if there are too many results. Something like "favorite drink" <space>site:sawmillcreek.org. In this search using quotes didn't work, just using favorite drink site:sawmillcreek.org did. I'm not certain this works with all search engines, it does work with Google and Startpage.

Given that we have to pay to even have basic functionality like being able to see images in posts... it's a little ridiculous (and I'm toning that down a *lot*) to have to use an external search engine because the forum one doesn't work, and never really has.

Ronald Blue
11-11-2021, 5:50 PM
Given that we have to pay to even have basic functionality like being able to see images in posts... it's a little ridiculous (and I'm toning that down a *lot*) to have to use an external search engine because the forum one doesn't work, and never really has.

I didn't join for the search engine and I doubt that very many did. Good that you think maintaining a site like this is free. I guess you think Keith should go bankrupt for your benefit. The minimum subscription price works out to 50 cents per month. You can't even get one gas station coffee for that. The knowledge base alone is worth far more than that. You're entitled to your opinion though.

Lee DeRaud
11-11-2021, 5:56 PM
Your comment is a bit like blaming Hertz because you think the Ford you rented should get better mileage.

In a universe that lacks Google, the developers of vBulletin might have some incentive to provide a useful search function. In the actual universe this forum exists in, eh, not so much. (Whether they could develop a useful search function is, at best, debatable.) Either way, it has absolutely zero to do with how much/little SMC charges for access.

Monte Milanuk
11-11-2021, 9:41 PM
The existence of Google, etc. is no excuse for the lack of a functional search engine on *this* site. I'm a (paying) member on other forums/sites that also use vBulletin, and they pretty much *all* have better search functionality than this one.

Bert Kemp
11-11-2021, 10:08 PM
The existence of Google, etc. is no excuse for the lack of a functional search engine on *this* site. I'm a (paying) member on other forums/sites that also use vBulletin, and they pretty much *all* have better search functionality than this one.

I would stick with them then you don't need us. I'm sure we can find a way to make up the loss of your high priced memebership:rolleyes:
When I started the thread I wanted to find out what people drink and the search engine told me orange shellac LOL so Made fun of it. I would never give up this Knowledge base for the lack of a search engine

Monte Milanuk
11-11-2021, 10:40 PM
If those other forums were about woodworking, I might.

I actually don't have a problem with the forum or the community, or paying for better features and access. But paying for better features and access and still lacking what constitutes a very basic amenity... :rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
11-11-2021, 11:02 PM

As an example a box was made of poplar for a friend of mine to hold a bunch of files. My search term > poplar file box < didn't give any hits on my post. In fact it gave about one hit and a couple wanna bees:

For some reason the programing of a search through SMC includes a > www. < before sawmillcreek.org (note the dot after www).

Removing the > www. < then hitting return gives a much better result with the post being sought at the top:

Incase anyone cares > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?286634 < Not only did it include the wanted post it also had about 179 hits.

There may be a programmer somewhere who could fix this, but it has come up often and so far no fix.

As far as my favorite pre bedtime drink:

My last bottle was finished months ago. Maybe a bottle shoud go on the next shopping list.

jtk

- it makes you say neeeeeeeek!

If those other forums were about woodworking, I might.

I actually don't have a problem with the forum or the community, or paying for better features and access. But paying for better features and access and still lacking what constitutes a very basic amenity... :rolleyes:

Monte, many years ago the search function worked very well. One of the V-Bulletin software upgrades changed it. It is beyond my pay grade to know if this was something V-Bulletin did or if it was an option selected by an administrator.

My post quoted above explains how to correct the search criteria to obtain great results.

Search engines are great tools. Like many great tools some of us get better results from them than others.

Many of us benefit greatly from SMC, reading posts and following the advice they share. Many find it well worth putting up with a few quirks to have such a community.

jtk

--BTW, Candy brought home a bottle of Kraken for me yesterday.

Monte Milanuk
11-12-2021, 1:08 AM
Many of us benefit greatly from SMC, reading posts and following the advice they share. Many find it well worth putting up with a few quirks to have such a community.

Absolutely agreed. Just because I want to be better doesn't mean I don't appreciate what it already is.

Curt Harms
11-12-2021, 8:05 AM

You're fortunate. I only frequent one other site that uses vBulletin (a computer OS and applications site so should be fairly IT savvy) and it's search function works about as well as this one.

Mike Kreinhop
11-12-2021, 10:14 AM

So hey whats your favorite drink?

Bottled carbonated mineral water. I buy it by the 12-bottle case for about €2.50.

{snip}

XenForo. According to vBulletin, version 4.2.5 reached its end of life for support in December 2017.

Good that you think maintaining a site like this is free. I guess you think Keith should go bankrupt for your benefit.

Yawn...I could be wrong, but I doubt anyone is forcing Keith to finance the SMC. If I find interesting content on the Internet that is behind a pay wall or adblock detection banner, I can decide if I want to pay to play or whitelist the site. If the only cost for entry is to view a few ads relevant to the topic, I will whitelist the site in my adblocker.

I would stick with them then you don't need us. I'm sure we can find a way to make up the loss of your high priced memebership:rolleyes:
When I started the thread I wanted to find out what people drink and the search engine told me orange shellac LOL so Made fun of it. I would never give up this Knowledge base for the lack of a search engine

It doesn't take long for the Old Guard to swoop down and circle the wagons whenever a member criticizes the SMC. Comments like the one I bolded are condescending, in my opinion, and do not foster good will.

I joined SMC in May 2017 when I was searching for popular woodworking discussion boards in preparation for my retirement. Although I was stationed in Germany, I still had easy access to U.S. vendors and the USPS, which was helpful. Despite a few international members, the SMC is primarily focused on U.S. tools, techniques, and resources. I became a "Contributor" soon after joining because I wanted to buy some items offered in the Classified section.

Since retiring in 2019 and remaining in Germany, I no longer have access to the USPS or U.S. vendors. I am relying more on the resources from vendors and other discussion boards that are local to me or more international in focus. I did not renew my "Contributor" status with SMC and do not have any regrets. The SMC is a fine community, but it is no longer relevant to me. I still pop in from time to time out of curiosity, but aside from making a post, such as this, I do not bother to log in. I view the content as a "Guest" and discovered the only difference in privileges between a "Member" and a "Guest" is the ability to make a post. As such, there is no point in logging in to view the content available to a "Member". I might change my mind later if the site ever converts to XenForo. It's only been four years since the initial announcement of the conversion, so baby steps.

I wish you well, and let the flaming resume.

Bill Dufour
11-12-2021, 7:41 PM
remember google is spending around 27,000 million dollars a year on their search engine so at some point it is easier and cheaper to just use them to search the Creek.

Lee DeRaud
11-12-2021, 7:47 PM
remember google is spending around 27,000 million dollars a year on their search engine so at some point it is easier and cheaper to just use them to search the Creek.Yup. See also: "Wheel, reinvention of".

Ronald Blue
11-12-2021, 9:48 PM
Yawn...I could be wrong, but I doubt anyone is forcing Keith to finance the SMC. If I find interesting content on the Internet that is behind a pay wall or adblock detection banner, I can decide if I want to pay to play or whitelist the site. If the only cost for entry is to view a few ads relevant to the topic, I will whitelist the site in my adblocker.

There have been some discussions in the past about the economics of maintaining this forum. I don't recall any for a while. It's not like this site has a couple million members to market. We are fortunate to have the presence of a few vendors who do assist in various way's. Equipment (servers) have to be upgraded to maintain the accessibility and data storage. I think it's safe to say that Keith isn't gold plating his bath fixtures with the profits from this site.
There are some who have complained that free membership should give them access to everything including photos. I for one don't mind the pittance it costs to be a contributor and full member. I understand your situation and the reduced value it has for you being in Europe (Germany). I know from past posts you're a very capable woodworker in your own rite. There is a vast and diverse knowledge base in here and while I mostly read and observe and try to learn it's worth the cost of admission for me. I appreciate your view however and respect your right to it. As I said before the search engine is irrelevant to me. Bill is correct in that there are better ways to search anyway because they spend billions to make them better. Carry on.

Monte Milanuk
11-13-2021, 11:03 AM
So, question for those who believe "use Google" is the one true answer...

How do you use it to return posts on a specific subject, by a specific author, in one or two specific sub forums? Not mentions/quotes of a person, but their posts... in specific sub forums, not just anywhere on the site.

That is the sort of thing that a local search engine *should* be able to do better than an external one... because it has - or should have - direct access to the database used to index all the posts in the first place.

If there's a simple way to accomplish this just using specific search syntax let me know. I'm not unfamiliar with the short form of boolean and regex syntax commonly used by search engines, so let's hear it.

Jim Koepke
11-13-2021, 11:43 AM

That is not my belief. My computer allows me to pick which search engine to use. Google seems to work for me so it was my choice. Others have been used, but many of them have been known to tap into Google.

That is the sort of thing that a local search engine *should* be able to do better than an external one...

On the surface, this seems logical. Under the surface one might consider how many human hours and dollars Google has dedicated to refining their search engine. Then compare it to the time and money the average Bulletin Board Service has to invest into refining a local search engine.

Some people joke about 'Google Fu' when referring to the art of searching out material on the internet. It is like sex, some people get it and some don't.

Part of successful searching is how one refines the terms used in a search.

If there's a simple way to accomplish this just using specific search syntax let me know. I'm not unfamiliar with the short form of boolean and regex syntax commonly used by search engines, so let's hear it.

This is unfamiliar territory for me. Maybe including something like > Forum:Woodworking by Hand and Specialties:Neanderthal Haven < in your search string would accomplish what you want.

When the SMC search function doesn't give useful results, usually removing the > www. < from the search string gets me the desired results. If not, then adding the name of the Original Poster (if known) to the search string often helps.

Perhaps if you are not having good results searching for a particular post, it would be more productive to explain what you are seeking and enlist others in finding it.

jtk

Aaron Koehl
11-14-2021, 8:36 PM

How do you use it to return posts on a specific subject, by a specific author, in one or two specific sub forums? Not mentions/quotes of a person, but their posts... in specific sub forums, not just anywhere on the site.

That is the sort of thing that a local search engine *should* be able to do better than an external one... because it has - or should have - direct access to the database used to index all the posts in the first place.

Hi Monte,

- If you prefer to use Google for quick searches, as many do, you can click the search box.

- If you prefer to use the local (vBulletin) search engine click the "Advanced Search" link beneath it.
This allows searching by keyword, specific forums, threads vs posts, recent date ranges, etc.

Jim Koepke
11-15-2021, 12:55 AM
- If you prefer to use the local (vBulletin) search engine click the "Advanced Search" link beneath it.
This allows searching by keyword, specific forums, threads vs posts, recent date ranges, etc.

And if you like a post, at the bottom of the page there is a feature to add your own tags for searching in the future.

jtk

Bill Dufour
11-15-2021, 10:50 AM
I do not know the numbers, but if we have 27,000 paying members, we can match google's search functions for only one million dollars each, annually.
Bill D

Jim Koepke
11-18-2021, 1:34 AM
Someone must have read my main gripe with the SMC search engine.

Doing a search this evening it didn't put the > www. < into the search term.

Thanks for who ever fixed this.

jtk

Lee DeRaud
11-18-2021, 10:32 AM
I do not know the numbers, but if we have 27,000 paying members, we can match google's search functions for only one million dollars each, annually.
I strongly suspect most of us could find something better to do with $27B.
One each of everything Festool makes would put a good dent in it...

Jim Koepke
11-18-2021, 10:46 AM
I strongly suspect most of us could find something better to do with $27B.
One each of everything Festool makes would put a good dent in it...

A short note to Rob Lee or Thomas Lie-Nielsen, "Please send one of each, find blank check enclosed." :D

jtk