PDA

View Full Version : Router Maintenance

Luis Reyes
11-05-2021, 9:25 PM
Hi All,

I bought a used Ridgid router off Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). It's been working well but I just tried switching it from the plunge base to the fixed base and it was hell as it was stuck tight. I managed to loosen it but now wondering if I should add some wax or something to help the motor slide into the base better? I tried googling and saw different opinions so rather than trusting what's on google figured I'd ask this group?

Thanks in advance!

Michael Schuch
11-05-2021, 9:33 PM
Aluminum against aluminum tends to bind over time. I keep a can of Johnson's paste wax in the shop for such things but rubbing an old candle works too.

Luis Reyes
11-06-2021, 7:32 AM
Would minwax paste work as well? The Johnson paste is $40 on Amazon here as I don’t think it’s generally available.

Robert Hayward
11-06-2021, 8:31 AM
The Johnson paste is $40 on Amazon here as I don’t think it’s generally available.
Wow $40? Where are you in the world? At my location it is ~$6.50 for a one pound can at Homedepot. (https://www.homedepot.com/p/SC-Johnson-1-lb-Fine-Wood-Paste-Wax-203/100154748).

Curt Harms
11-06-2021, 9:00 AM
Would minwax paste work as well? The Johnson paste is $40 on Amazon here as I don’t think it’s generally available.

I would think Minwax would be fine, probably any wax would work. Avoid automotive waxes with silicone of course.

Luis Reyes
11-06-2021, 12:42 PM
Canada. Haha, I think someone is buying it in the US and selling it here on Amazon.

Frank Pratt
11-06-2021, 3:44 PM

It must be a US thing. I remember Johnson's paste wax from years ago, but I very much doubt if there is any retailer in the whole city of Calgary that carries it. I've looked & called just about everywhere that might. I've only seen it on Amazon at a truly outrageous price

Mel Fulks
11-06-2021, 4:54 PM
Frank, here’s the reason it’s expensive ….our can is about 50 years old ! And it’s passed around among relatives.

Rick Potter
11-07-2021, 12:27 AM
Maybe I can smuggle some across the border in my spare tire. I sense a fiscal opportunity here.

Mike Kees
11-07-2021, 11:47 AM
This is exactly why I love shopping in Montana. And now in one more day Canadians can finally cross the border by land again. :D Hello Peanut butter captain crunch, wild cherry diet pepsi, sharp cheddar cheese ,restocking my depleted oil filter stash ,and dare I say it Harbor fright tools....

Edwin Santos
11-07-2021, 12:00 PM
This is exactly why I love shopping in Montana. And now in one more day Canadians can finally cross the border by land again. :D Hello Peanut butter captain crunch, wild cherry diet pepsi, sharp cheddar cheese ,restocking my depleted oil filter stash ,and dare I say it Harbor fright tools....

Trade you for some ketchup chips and couple of Caramilk bars. Coffee Crisp is great too.

Rick Potter
11-07-2021, 3:12 PM
Gotta ask.

Ketchup chips?

Michael Schuch
11-07-2021, 11:51 PM
Honestly, I think an old candle would be as good if not better than paste wax. Paste wax is just easy to apply and only ~$5 a can here in the US. If I was looking at $40 a can I would be using candles. I didn't know minwax made a paste wax but any softened wax or even hard wax should do the job.

I guess you could always try rubbing some ketchup chips on the mating surfaces. You never know, it might work great!

Edwin Santos
11-08-2021, 12:07 AM
Gotta ask.

Ketchup chips?

https://thetakeout.com/what-canadians-understand-about-ketchup-chips-that-amer-1798251510

Mike Kees
11-08-2021, 10:22 AM
Where are you Edwin ? I would bring ketchup chips, I hate them. My kids used to talk their mother into bringing those home.:D I have to haul creamed honey to my brother in Idaho along with Tim Horton's donuts.

Justin Rapp
11-08-2021, 1:19 PM
miniwax paste wax also does not contain any silicone so it should work the same as johnson's if you can get it up in Canada.

I am not sure where the Original Poster is located in Canada, by from my zip code to montreal would cost $21.25 to ship the $6.50 can of wax.