PDA

View Full Version : Tombstone Door How To?

Carl Eyman
01-15-2006, 9:05 AM
I need to build a SMALLarched panel door. It'll be about 5" wide by 10" tall. Making the rails and stiles out of 3/4" stock will make it too chunky, I think. about 1/2" would be ok, no? I don't have riouter bits for that thickness of stock. So I plan to cut the rails and stiles on the table saw running dadoes for the panels and tenons on the ends of the rails using a dado blade. I can cut the arch in the top rail on the band saw. How should I run the dado in the arch? If I do it with a slotting cutter with a ball bearing follower, I'm afraid it'll be too deep. Even if it is not, if my dado is 1/4 I'll only have 1/8" of stock outside the dado. I'll want to put some kind of decorative molding on it ( even it's only a chamfer). I'm afraid of splitting if I run the dado first. I'd prefer to run the molding first and the dado second, but how can I fill the dado so the follower bearing doesn't drop in the hole? On the straight stuff it's easy but on the curve? Any and all ideas are welcome.

Mark Singer
01-15-2006, 9:19 AM
Carl,
A good way to do arches is a trammel radiused from a single point. You must set it up so the workpiece has a registration location. Cut the arch and the groove by swinging the same radius with a router...a stright bit for the edge...making multiple passes and a key hole bit will cou a nice slot, or a slot cutter at reduced radius... Since you are always swinging from the same point...it is accurate and smooth...great results..

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/librawood.safeshopper.com/images/20t4cse.gif

tod evans
01-15-2006, 9:26 AM
carl, i would do the profile first using a router on all pieces, same setting. then plow the dado using a router from the back of your piece, the bearing riding on a template. then mortise and tennon the pieces mitering the rails and styles........02 tod

lou sansone
01-15-2006, 11:43 AM
great response tod... you beat me to it

.03 lou

Carl Eyman
01-15-2006, 1:53 PM
Thanks, Mark the keyhole bit is a wonderful idea, My slotting bit cuts a 1/2" deep slot unless I can find a new bearing.

Tod & Lou, your method sounds fine, but don't I want a dado instead of a rabbet for the panel?

Anyway many thanks to all.

tod evans
01-15-2006, 2:11 PM
carl, the method i discribed is for cutting a dado, use your slot cutter bit and a template. that`s why i posted the pics.. hope this helps? tod

Carl Eyman
01-18-2006, 1:33 PM
Door is done! Not perfect, but I'm pleased with it. Let's see if I can post a picture.

Just checked. There is no size reference. Door is about 11 inches high. You can see a bench doog in lower left corner.

tod evans
01-18-2006, 1:54 PM
nice job carl, now you gotta chisel the inside corners on the panel square.
http://www.todevans.com/todevans/section.cfm?wProductID=513&wSectionID=1543

not dificult and gives a finished look.....02 tod

Carl Eyman
01-18-2006, 2:07 PM
I had fully expected to do so, but I left so little horizontal run into the arch that it is difficult for me to visualize what I'm suppose to do. I've learned picking up a carving gouge without a clear idea of what you want to do with it is a bad idea; so I did nothing. I have two large tombstone doors to do for the upper level of this desk. For that, I believe I can do it ok because that horizontal run will be more pronounced. Maybe I'll prepare a piece of scrap as a practice panel and see what comes of it, for the little one, that is.

tod evans
01-18-2006, 2:11 PM
carl, use blue tape and pencil in the lines, straight down from your radius and straight across from your shoulders. if you dont like the look pull off the tape......02 tod