PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
11-01-2021, 9:56 AM
1 Nov 2021

Greetings,
It's been a busy week at the new day job but I'm really liking it.
Spent time in the shop this past week working on #2 son's queen bed build as well as making a few cutting boards and small sandwich boards. I came up with the idea of the "sandwich boards" by accident really....Making a thin cutting board, surface down to just under 1/2" thick and then cut the 14.25" x 18.25" cutting board into 4 parts, giving me 4 small sandwich boards. For some odd reason, people seem to really love these small boards.
I'm really liking the cooler temps and getting stuff done in the shop is finally taking place.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
11-01-2021, 3:28 PM
Dennis, wooden serving/dining boards can be pretty popular ... nice addition to your mix!

This past week my shop time pretty much was a day and a half doing some CNC work for a friend who does resin inlay work. I cut the designs/pockets and he takes it from there. Otherwise, I did some small repairs here on the house, did a bunch of tree trimming to get rid of dead branches, etc. and did some thinking about projects to come next. Temps are finally creeping downward a little so, I'll have to get used to the new environment in the temporary shop being back to just some electric radiant heat...and I need to get new seals for the big garage door to help with that. The door is incredibly well insulated, but the seals are old and not flexible enough to properly do their job.

This week is more outside cleanup...'trying to take advantage of being able to dispose of the pile of leaves and cut brush/branches at the old property...and hopefully arranging for the logs over there to get milled into lumber.

Paul F Franklin
11-01-2021, 9:23 PM
Mixed week for me. My BIL passed away quite suddenly last week and a few days later his wife checked herself into the hospital because she feared she was having a heart attack. After lots of tests, she was diagnosed with broken heart syndrome, which I understand is a real thing. She's much better now; the funeral is tomorrow.

My cabinets arrived last Wed. as scheduled and I finally got around today to unpacking them, inspecting and inventorying, and then repacking them in reverse order of planned installation so I don't have to move them around again. Only one casualty, a cracked stile on the sink base cabinet. I'm sure I could do an invisible repair, but will see what the vendor can do about it first. All in all they look pretty good. Otherwise on the kitchen I just have a couple more touchups on the sheetrock and then it will be time for painting.

When I went to buy the paint I got another surprise. None of the 8 or 10 sherwin williams stores in my area had any of the primer I wanted or any reasonable substitute (they had some high bonding primer at 2-3 times regular primer prices. And no ceiling flat white at all either. Turns out that is the next shortage on the horizon. Not sure if it's Covid related or supply chain or what. Fortunately they had the wall paint I needed and I went across the street to the borg and got some reasonable primer and ceiling paint.

After more than a week of very rainy weather, we finally got a nice day on Sunday so my wife and I worked out in the yard. I put the hoses away and winterized the irrigation pump, and then reassembled the leaf vac because the leaves are falling fast now.

So, falling behind where I wanted to be on the kitchen, but it is what it is.

Mike Kees
11-04-2021, 9:41 PM
Paul about a year ago I was talking with the contract sales guy at the lumber yard I deal at about the volume of paint they had sold. It was absolutely nuts, they had to get the tint guy to come restock their paint mixing machine. there were tint colors they had not restocked for 20 years completely depleted. They figured nearly 8-10 years worth of normal volume had gone out the door in the first six months of Covid .

Paul F Franklin
11-04-2021, 10:36 PM
Mike, that makes sense: demand is way up and supply chain issues are limiting raw material availability. I understand also that the freeze in Texas last winter damaged a number of chemical plants that make some of the polymers and other raw materials and they have still not returned to full capacity. It shouldn't have surprised me but it did.

Leigh Betsch
11-05-2021, 9:13 AM
Continued building my shop. I’m now into setting the major machines in place so the electrician can drop power to them. Along with that is dropping the dust collection pipes down from the ceiling. I also got the walls painted (thanks SWMBO).