PDA

View Full Version : plastic and metal

Dave Fritz
10-29-2021, 3:47 PM
I'm finding plastic and metal often stick. Two examples: I have some Greenworks battery tools and it's almost impossible for my wife and I to separate the pole saw sections and remove the battery (which is plastic on plastic) without a rubber hammer. The second is trying to remove new Delrin bushings from a mandrel. I have to hold it with a plyers, turn the lathe on and gently move it off. Is there a recommended lubricant for situations like this? Thank you.

John K Jordan
10-29-2021, 8:07 PM
I'm finding plastic and metal often stick. Two examples: I have some Greenworks battery tools and it's almost impossible for my wife and I to separate the pole saw sections and remove the battery (which is plastic on plastic) without a rubber hammer. The second is trying to remove new Delrin bushings from a mandrel. I have to hold it with a plyers, turn the lathe on and gently move it off. Is there a recommended lubricant for situations like this? Thank you.

I use a smear of silicone grease.

Aaron Rosenthal
10-30-2021, 11:11 AM
I have also used dialectic grease for this kind of issue. Auto supply store.

Lee DeRaud
10-30-2021, 2:15 PM
I have some Greenworks battery tools and it's almost impossible for my wife and I to separate the pole saw sections and remove the battery (which is plastic on plastic) without a rubber hammer.One thing about the GW batteries: the rails/tabs that the battery slides on aren't really the problem. The only time I have trouble removing a battery is when it isn't really stuffed in all the way. What I do to remove it is push it back in first (just a light whack with my palm) before I touch the release, works every time.

You may notice that after the battery in inserted and locked, it's possible to pull it back a bit...not much, just a millimeter or so. What I think happens then is that the lock/release widget either doesn't release cleanly or ends up pushing the battery so it binds against the rails.