PDA

View Full Version : Which scrub plane?

Charles Harper
01-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi,

I have been looking at adding to my handplane collection.While I have multiple smoothers, rabbet planes, etc. I don't yet have a scrub. I am looking primarily at the Lie-Nielsen and Veritas versions. What are your thoughts?

Mark Stutz
01-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Charles,
SMC member Derek Cohen has a great review on his site, and I think it's been posted here as well, though I can't remember where I read it. I think he is partial to the LV. I have an ECE woodie because the price was right...FREE! I have just begun to use it but find it very easy to use.

Tyler Howell
01-14-2006, 11:14 PM
The LV Scrub is nice with a selection of irons. Nice big handle

Derek Cohen
01-15-2006, 7:40 AM
Thanks mark.

Hi Charles

My review of the LV Scrub plane can be found here:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/theLeeValleyScrubPlane/index.asp

Comparisons are make with the Stanley #40 and an ECE-type woodie. There is also a tutorial on using a scrub.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pam Niedermayer
01-15-2006, 4:34 PM
I'm partial to the European style horned wooden scrub, very light and fast, to say nothing of cheap on ebay. However, I bought a C&W jack, which is a slightly less drastic blade and works better, a much longer plane; so I no longer use the horned woody.

Pam

Tom Saurer
01-16-2006, 9:08 AM
I have an ECE and love it. Very easy to use.

Bernhard Kühnen
01-16-2006, 2:26 PM
My favorite is the Lie-Nielsen 40 1/2 scrub plane. Although a lot of people claim that there is no need to spend much money on a rather unprecise tool like a scrub plane I am happy to own it. It fits nicely to my other LN.

Bernhard