PDA

View Full Version : gas fireplace vent pipe

Mark Rainey
10-28-2021, 8:03 PM
My house, which was built 30 years ago, and which I moved into 11 years ago, has a gas fireplace with a vertical pipe vent to the roof. I use the gas fireplace once or twice a year. Should I have the vent pipe inspected or cleaned? A contractor wants $275 to visit. I can shine a flashlight up the pipe and it looks intact, there is minor soot, and no obstruction with bird's nest or debris at the top. I do have a carbon monoxide detector. I do not think it has ever been professionally inspected...could some of the pipe joints be degrading? or something else. I do not want to be foolish by not getting it professionally inspected, but...

Paul F Franklin
10-28-2021, 9:23 PM
We use our gas insert several times a week in the coldest part of winter. We have the insert cleaned/inspected every 4 or 5 years, and this includes inspection of both the exhaust flue and the intake flue. The tech removes the fake logs and "fiber" stuff that looks likes glowing coals and cleans the burners, the inside of the firebox and the glass and then reassembles with new fiber stuff...IIRC, cost is about what you were quoted. On the years between the pro service, I remove and clean the glass. The flues both have screened caps on them, so I'm not too worried about critters or birds blocking them.

Tom M King
10-29-2021, 8:17 AM
Sounds okay, to me. I'd unstack the logs, vacuum everything off, with the gas turned off, and then if it burns like it should, not worry about it.

Jim Becker
10-29-2021, 9:00 AM
I agree with Tom. Unlike with a woodstove, you'll not get the build-up with the vented gas unit. But keeping the unit clean is a good idea.

Jack Frederick
10-29-2021, 10:15 AM
A good cleaning is necessary after so many years of not having it. You can do it. Take a picture of the position of the logs set and careful note of it as you disassemble. Small differences can have significant affects on the flame pattern and sooting. Note the flame pattern prior to disassembly. If the logs go in incorrectly you can end up with a long lazy flame that impinges on the fire box. Blow out/vacuum the air shutters. They do get crapped up. A can of compressed air is useful for cleaning the pilot. Pay particular attention to the gasketing. If it isn’t good, don’t use the box. At 30 yrs I’d class the appliance as ready for replacement. It may be ok, but that unit was new in the infancy of gas fireplaces. They are classed as “decorative appliances” and not very efficient. I guess you don’t use it so it isn’t costing you anything. I back up CO detectors. If your get into it, put it together and use it, I like the comfort of an additional plug in CO detector in the plug closest to the appliance. Tomorrow morning I’m installing a Rinnai wall furnace for an old friend. When I leave he will have two CO detectors. In my business I represented water heater, boiler and furnace manufacturers and sold at least half a billion over the years. Something to think about on this. I don’t know your central system, but a new efficient fireplace can about replace it. I installed a Rinnai fireplace at my daughters a couple yrs ago, taking out a 39 yr old box. Their central furnace was grossly oversized and the the whole system was terrible, imho. In a 2000 sq ft house, they never turned the furnace on again and were perfectly comfortable with the fireplace.

Mark Rainey
10-29-2021, 12:30 PM
Thank you Paul, Tom, Jim and Jack for the information!

Bill Dufour
10-29-2021, 12:32 PM
I would expect a metal gas vent pipe to still be in good condition unless it is rusted above the roof. In my experience they replaced transite pipes around 1950. As long as there are no horizontal runs it should still be in good shape. I have never seen rusted gas flues. So 75 years life time is a minimum here. Of course we get no ice or snow.
Bill D

Mark Rainey
10-29-2021, 1:02 PM
I would expect a metal gas vent pipe to still be in good condition unless it is rusted above the roof. In my experience they replaced transite pipes around 1950. As long as there are no horizontal runs it should still be in good shape. I have never seen rusted gas flues. So 75 years life time is a minimum here. Of course we get no ice or snow.
Bill D

Thanks Bill!