PDA

View Full Version : Are There Grades Of MDF?

Derek Arita
10-24-2021, 4:31 PM
So usually, when I go to HD for 1/4" MDF, I find the lite colored stuff. It works well. This time, I only saw this darker stuff and it didn't seem to work as nicely as the lighter stuff. Is the darker stuff a lower grade?

https://i.imgur.com/EadkGS6.jpg

Mark Bolton
10-24-2021, 4:46 PM
Your kidding. There was just an entire thread about this

Derek Arita
10-24-2021, 4:57 PM
OK..let me be more specific then...is the dark brown MDF a lower grade than the light colored MDF or are they the same, just different colors?

Mark Bolton
10-24-2021, 7:10 PM
Color is meaningless. Archives.

Bill Space
10-24-2021, 9:25 PM
Your kidding. There was just an entire thread about this

If you are going to bother replying, you might try to be helpful and include a link to the thread you are referring to. :(

Mike Kees
10-24-2021, 10:27 PM
There is another thread started today, about three down from this one.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2021, 11:13 PM
Derek, here's a thread discussing the topic. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?294163-Mdf

Bob Jones 5443
10-24-2021, 11:34 PM
no room for snark at the Creek, please.

David Buchhauser
10-25-2021, 2:25 AM
If you are going to bother replying, you might try to be helpful and include a link to the thread you are referring to. :(

Very much agree!
David

Derek Arita
10-25-2021, 10:22 AM
Didn't mean to raise such a ruckus. Yes, I read the previous thread and that's what started me wondering if I was actually getting different grades of MDF or if it was simply a color or maker difference and not a grade difference. I believe all that was mentioned previously pertaining to color was that lighter colored MDF was from here and darker was from another country. I just wondered if anyone was familiar with this particular MDF and could offer me some insight.

andrew whicker
10-25-2021, 1:47 PM
Hi Derek,

I'm not an MDF expert, but I do not believe there are grades like there are with lumber. I've asked this question to other people too. It is frustrating because I would like to know what Home Depot / Lowes is spec'ing out vs MacBeath / Intermountain / etc (my lumber yards). It is true that you will get better grades at lumber yards, but what grade that is... I don't know.

Maybe I'll ask MacBeath and see what they say.

Cheers,

Steve Jenkins
10-25-2021, 2:12 PM
Not sure what the grades are but I use Plum Creek because the edges rout really well because it’s pretty dense. The face is denser than others too.

Warren Lake
10-25-2021, 2:28 PM
they have different properties as they are made from different percents of core material never mind manufacturers. Only ever used Rangerboard. Hardboard I used to use Duron Tempered hardboard best manufacturer till it vapourized.