PDA

View Full Version : Question about projects

Jason Morgan
01-14-2006, 6:47 PM
What is everone's opinion on asking someone how they built a piece, i.e. dimensions and assembly details, for something they may have designed themselves...possibly even a "style" they have created (i.e. a particular dimension of rails and stiles, particular finish, particular shape of moulding, etc).

I see a lot of really neat ideas here, but am hesitant to ask about more details for things that likely took a lot of design time...nothing for sale here, just for my own use.

Mark Singer
01-14-2006, 7:11 PM
;) Ask! Its all part of the deal;)

Frank Pellow
01-14-2006, 7:36 PM
You can certainly ask me anything at all about one of my projects. And, that appears to be true for most folks here at Saw Mill Creek.

Alan Turner
01-14-2006, 7:39 PM
So, Jason, what would you like to know?

Jason Tuinstra
01-14-2006, 7:43 PM
I agree, just ask. When I lived in near Chicago, I remember going into the Moser store and the manager saying to me, "You're a woodworker aren't you?" I guess most people don't pull drawers out and look at the inside very often :D She was very friendly and let me me poke away, even measuring some stuff. Besides, is there anything new under the sun? Most "original" ideas are merely variations on a theme anyway IMHO. Then again, I'm not the most original guy on SMC, so maybe someone else should answer this question.

Bob Noles
01-14-2006, 7:44 PM
Jason,

We kind of look upon these sort of questions a flattery..... so please flatter away :D

Doug Shepard
01-14-2006, 9:21 PM
Why should WW be different than any other art? Ask away. All great artists, musicians, composers, etc., borrowed from the masters that came before them. That includes woodworkers.

Jim Becker
01-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Yup...ask! It's the only way to learn.

John Bailey
01-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Believe me Jason, there's a heap o' askin' going on here, and a heap o' answerin'.

John

Dev Emch
01-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Most folk on SMC are amazingly cool about this. Many of my clients do not want their stuff broadcast over the internet as its been said. My personal stuff? Ask away. But furniture stores can be a pain. I am the only person I know of who was thrown out of a furniture store.... not a saloon, but a furniture store. Fancy That! I think it had something to do with a notepad, small ruler and a camera.

Mark Rios
01-14-2006, 10:59 PM
But furniture stores can be a pain. I am the only person I know of who was thrown out of a furniture store.... not a saloon, but a furniture store. Fancy That! I think it had something to do with a notepad, small ruler and a camera.

Very good Dev....lol....next itme give me a call. I'll run interference for you and keep them busy while you write, measure, and click away.

Jamie Buxton
01-14-2006, 11:31 PM
I agree, just ask. When I lived in near Chicago, I remember going into the Moser store and the manager saying to me, "You're a woodworker aren't you?" I guess most people don't pull drawers out and look at the inside very often :D She was very friendly and let me me poke away, even measuring some stuff. Besides, is there anything new under the sun? Most "original" ideas are merely variations on a theme anyway IMHO. Then again, I'm not the most original guy on SMC, so maybe someone else should answer this question.

If you want more info about furniture produced by the Thos Moser company -- early in his career, Thomas wrote a book called "Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture". It contains drawings for many pieces which the company produces now. It is about $25. He also wrote a companion book about building Shaker furniture.

Jim Becker
01-15-2006, 9:34 AM
If you want more info about furniture produced by the Thos Moser company -- early in his career, Thomas wrote a book called "Measured Shop Drawings for American Furniture". It contains drawings for many pieces which the company produces now. It is about $25. He also wrote a companion book about building Shaker furniture.
Yup...that's the book I use for a nice percentage of my work! And although it's based on his older designs, you can interpolate techniques from it for more current items in his catalog and do some sketches. I have a lot of respect for Moser in that he, like several others, have an appreciation for teaching and sharing as evidenced by their books and articles.

Jason Morgan
01-15-2006, 4:31 PM
I almost felt silly asking the question given the folks that are here, but didnt know how people felt.

And now, given my new founs assurances,

Jason Tuinstra, My wife saw the pictures of your Shaker chest of drawers and has commisioned me to duplicate it. I was wondering what the overall dimensions were and what the drawer heights were. Did you get that from a book, or just wing it?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Schoene
01-15-2006, 9:41 PM
But don't do a commercial knock off the the signature chair. Moser has filed at least one law suit.

Bob Noles
01-16-2006, 6:58 AM
But furniture stores can be a pain. I am the only person I know of who was thrown out of a furniture store.... not a saloon, but a furniture store. Fancy That! I think it had something to do with a notepad, small ruler and a camera.

Dev,

That is way too funny :D :D :D :p

Tom Donalek
01-16-2006, 7:39 PM
Good artists copy, great artists steal
I'm still just copying most of the time, but I'm trying to get better!

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-16-2006, 7:45 PM
Ain't a MASTER of anything, but your welcome to ask me anything you want.

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
01-16-2006, 8:04 PM
All my crap is patented and not for anyones elses use, this is to protect them LOL :) This place is such a vault for information it is unbelievable. I have gotten help from so many here it isn't even funny!

Corey

Gregg Mason
01-16-2006, 8:13 PM
Most folk on SMC are amazingly cool about this. Many of my clients do not want their stuff broadcast over the internet as its been said. My personal stuff? Ask away. But furniture stores can be a pain. I am the only person I know of who was thrown out of a furniture store.... not a saloon, but a furniture store. Fancy That! I think it had something to do with a notepad, small ruler and a camera.

I would think it's not uncommon to see someone taking notes, measurements, and even pics. in a funiture store. After all wouldn't most people/designers/decorators want to make sure everything is going to fit, and want to compare styles, items, etc. to look at at home or present to customers.

Lee DeRaud
01-16-2006, 8:35 PM
I would think it's not uncommon to see someone taking notes, measurements, and even pics. in a funiture store. After all wouldn't most people/designers/decorators want to make sure everything is going to fit, and want to compare styles, items, etc. to look at at home or present to customers.I suspect the first thing professional designers/decorators do in any furniture store is hand out a bunch of their business cards so the salescritters don't follow them around like vultures.