PDA

View Full Version : Couple newbie questions...

Ron Schmitt
01-14-2006, 6:36 PM
First off, this "spinny thing" as someone else called it sure is addicting!
As for the questions,
1) How do you tell when its time to replace the bushings? ( using mini lathe, just turning pens for now)

2) Just rec'd an olivewood pen blank from Woodturningz, when I drilled it, it turned out to still be green (wet) inside. How long will I need to let it dry before I can use it?

3) Does anyone know of a ( preferably pen ) turning club in or near Milwaukee, Wi. ?

Thanks
Ron Schmitt

Joe Judge
01-14-2006, 7:54 PM
2 - in re: wet pen blank
The folks at Woodturningz are absolutely super. You may want to ask them about that blank. I doubt they meant to send a green one -- and you should let them know.

If it were me, I'd park it for a month and try again later. Actually, I'd probably be impatient and try to practice those microwave drying techniques that I've read about.

3- Hit your local Woodcraft and ask about the clubs. I'm sure Milwaukee has some turners.

The AAW (association of woodtuners) has chapters in various areas. The woodturner.org site of theirs has chapter listings.

If you are pen-focused, then maybe the association of penturners has something going on out there (penturners.org).

And, last but best is "virtual" community here at sawmillcreek. These folks are the best.

--joe

Jim Dunn
01-14-2006, 8:30 PM
Ron have you had your "Welcome to the Creek" yet?? I notice that you've only posted 1 time before now. That could have been of the flat side and don't count. I've never been to Milwaukee, I've never turned a pen and I'm addicted to this spinny stuff and coffee. Only vice I ever had where it cost me money just to look at stuff:)

Jim

Hank Walczak
01-14-2006, 8:54 PM
There's no predetermined number of pens you can turn with a set of bushings. When you notice that the wood is starting to protrude over the edge of the metal parts of the pen kit after assembly but were even with the bushings on the lathe, it's time to replace the bushings. The less the bushings are hit with the sandpaper or the chisels the longer they will last.

Hank