PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this SCMi T130 Shaper?

Christopher Renner
10-21-2021, 3:36 PM
I have found a used SCMi T130 Shaper for sale and am curious what others experience is with this machine. Does it warrant a 8 hr round way trip to inspect/purchase. It’s priced at $800 without cutter heads, the seller says it whines so new bearings and a new pigtail are needed.

This would be my first shaper, so I’m not exactly sure what to look for if I go inspect it.

It does not have the slider feature, is this something that can it be added and is it even sold separately?

I mainly plan to use it tor edge profiles, but it would be great to set it up for tenons as well. I know shapers are quite versatile so tell me what else you are using them for in your shop?

Thank you

Jared Sankovich
10-21-2021, 3:57 PM
But it now before I fly to Oregon to get it.

Seriously though there is no down side to having a 130 class machine. It's way more than you need for edge profiles (I'm assuming on cabinet doors) but for the price (even needing bearings) it would be a good deal.

The pigtail requrement is suspect though.. those Italian motors are not cheap to fix other than bearings. Size wise (small body for the hp rating) nothing readily available here compares. So Swapping one out isn't really feasible.

It should be 9 or 11 hp 3 phase. That's not a problem if you don't have 3 phase already but should be considered.

Albert Lee
10-21-2021, 4:27 PM
130 class is mid level SCM spindle moulder. it will handle the needs of a commercial shop. I almost bought one last year but end up with a 145 class with side sliding table, it was expensive at $35k USD without cutters, for $800 you cant go wrong,

there are 3 types of sliding table on SCM machines,
1. side sliding table, I dont think you can buy this and retro fit.
2. front sliding table, similar to a panel saw, I dont think you can buy this and retro fit.
3. front small sliding table, mounts onto the table top of the T130, the travel is about 250-300mm only, but for small jobs this is sufficient.

you can buy 3. above from SCM or online stores such as here.
https://www.scosarg.com/t130nst-sliding-table-for-spindle-moulder

you can service SCM machines, guessing the noise is from bearing.

Phillip Mitchell
10-21-2021, 8:30 PM
$800? I’d be on the way ready to bring it home. It would take several major issues and missing parts for me to pass on a T130 for $800.

The biggest thing if you don’t have 3 phase is how you’re going to power it. What do you mean by new pigtail?

Do you have photos of it that you would be willing to share for reference?

Just for comparison, I bought a (much older) SCM T100 shaper (5 Hp and less than half the size/weight of a T130) with feeder last year for around $500 and then paid another $350 to get it shipped to me, had to track down an 1 1/4” spindle and put new tires on the feeder to get it running and felt like I did just fine.

Sliding tables are nice, but having a fixed table shaper is also perfectly useful and valuable to have around. The more I use a shaper, the more I want 2 or 3 or them on hand, but I need a bigger shop before i can make that a reality.

Christopher Renner
10-21-2021, 9:30 PM
Thank you gentlemen, you've confirmed my suspicions and that its worth a trip to investigate further.

Specs I found says it is 4kw or 5.5hp 3 phase and I have an open circuit wired for it ready to go. My power is at 208 though, do you think that would be an issue? I did have to install a buck booster for my Felder AD741.

I thought the seller said it needed a new pigtail but it just needs a new plug on the end, easy fix.

That sliding table looks like a great addition, I'll definitely consider it.

Jared Sankovich
10-21-2021, 9:56 PM
Thank you gentlemen, you've confirmed my suspicions and that its worth a trip to investigate further.

Specs I found says it is 4kw or 5.5hp 3 phase and I have an open circuit wired for it ready to go. My power is at 208 though, do you think that would be an issue? I did have to install a buck booster for my Felder AD741.

I thought the seller said it needed a new pigtail but it just needs a new plug on the end, easy fix.

That sliding table looks like a great addition, I'll definitely consider it.

4kw seems like a bit of a oddity on a t130. I've heard of another one with the small motor but I would expect a 5.5kw @ 50hz (6.6 kw @ 60hz)

Warren Lake
10-21-2021, 10:36 PM
They were not all 9 Hp and never seen a green one anymore than 9 and most were less. Id have to go back and check.

Ill try this again I have written down 6.6 HP but when I read HP changes with Efficiency, does that enter into this calculation?

Robert L Stewart
10-21-2021, 11:40 PM
Smoking deal, do not miss it. I have the T130 nps. Bought it in 1989. Its a 9 hsp machine and smooth as a sewing machine. Also has the sliding table.

Michael Schuch
10-22-2021, 2:35 AM
I looked at the SCMI shaper yesterday and it is a VERY nice shaper. They didn't have it setup so I could run it but it looks to be in very nice condition. They might be able to move it over to a plug so you can power it up. All the controls felt tight and I could detect no slop in the spindle just trying to move it around by hand. You could bring a dial indicator and see if you get any movement on the spindle with a bit of pushing and pulling as well as look for any run out. It is an impressive looking beast of a shaper that seems to be in nice shape.

I purchased the 16" Delta long arm radial arm saw sitting right next to the SCMI shaper for $100. It is also in very good shape and what I went there to purchase. If I had a spare $800 laying around I would buy the SCMI shaper but I already own 2 shapers (not near as nice as the SCMI) that need more of a work out. I think you will be very happy with it! I will be there tomorrow afternoon picking up my new RAS.

The guys at Beamworks were very nice and they just don't use the RAS or Shaper in their production shop any more.

P.S. There is a nice powerfeeder mounted to the shaper that I believe comes with it. The powerfeeder alone is probably worth the $800.

I am almost positive the SCMI shaper is 3 phase like the RAS, but I didn't ask and didn't look either as the shaper was not what I was there for.

You can see the powerfeeder on the SCMI shaper next to my RAS:

David Kumm
10-22-2021, 9:47 AM
I'm surprised the T130 is still available. they go for 3-4K generally without feeder. The green machines were a good vintage. Dave

Mike Kees
10-22-2021, 10:03 AM
Still waiting to find a deal like that. I can not complain though I have two shapers at my shop that I got very good deals on, just not a T130...

Christopher Renner
10-22-2021, 4:53 PM
Enjoy your new RAS Michael!

I spoke to Justin yesterday and he said they have two T130, selling the whiny one. Im guessing the power feeder is on the other unit but I wouldn’t mind if it was included!

Looking forward to the trip next week and a new shop toy

Michael Schuch
10-22-2021, 6:51 PM
Thank you Christopher. I just got my new RAS home and covered up before the rain hit. It is going to take me a little while to unload from my trailer this weekend.

I was going to take a couple more pictures of the SCMI to tease you :) but they were pretty busy trying to get everything wrapped up before the weekend. Please let me know if you end up buying it.

P.S. I have an old Jet shaper with a sliding table. I use the sliding table for the ends of stiles where they butt into the rails and that is about it. This can also be easily done quite nicely with a sled. For everything else I use the power feeder and the sliding table is superfluous, for me at least.

Ronald Blue
10-23-2021, 8:40 AM
Why is it those "deals are always 2000 miles away? Good luck and post photos of your new toy. I don't think I would waste any time getting there for it or it might be someone else's. Unless they are willing to wait for you to get there. I can't imagine a line not forming for that machine though.

Christopher Renner
10-23-2021, 1:39 PM
Ahh well I’ll be there Tuesday or Thursday, still feels like too long a wait...

But they have been gracious enough to hold it for me. I am apparently the only person showing real interest so they removed the listing and are waiting till I can come down this week. My favorite kind of people!

Ronald Blue
10-23-2021, 2:03 PM
Ahh well I’ll be there Tuesday or Thursday, still feels like too long a wait...

But they have been gracious enough to hold it for me. I am apparently the only person showing real interest so they removed the listing and are waiting till I can come down this week. My favorite kind of people!

Super of them! There are still standup people out there. I'd say you will be the new owner unless it's a train wreck when you get there.

Michael Schuch
10-23-2021, 2:54 PM
When I was picking up my RAS they confirmed they were holding it for you.

Christopher Renner
10-26-2021, 7:30 PM
I decided it’s worth it to just have them crate it and have it shipped, it would be a long day to go down and take care of it myself. Less stress and I can keep workin. Doesn’t feel like a much of a gamble..

On another note, the manual says spindle diameter from 30 1” 1/4 - 34 - 40 - 50

Does this mean it takes multiple spindle sizes? What collet size should I purchase?

I’ll wait until it arrives before buying to confirm. What maker or supplier do you folks recommend?

Phillip Mitchell
10-26-2021, 8:09 PM
Do you know what size spindle(s) are with the machine currently? You can change out spindles on a shaper, but it needs to be the exact right one with proper taper/length, etc. I think the 130 model have a MT5 (Morse taper) on the bottom on the shaft that mounts in the machine.

When I bought my smaller SCM shaper it showed up with a 1” spindle, which I was able to use for a little while with bushings with a 1 1/4” block, but I’d say you really want an 1 1/4” diameter spindle as a standard and anything else is gravy. It took me a couple of months of searching and a few WTB ads to track down the proper 1 1/4” spindle secondhand and I was lucky to find it the way I did.

I think parts and donor machines in the T110 and T130 family are much more common than my little T100.

Mel Fulks
10-26-2021, 8:35 PM
I’ve used a couple of them in employments and I do not like them. The spindles were wavy, never seen that anywhere else except the clay
on a potter’s wheel. It was hard to clamp on needed shop made fences because the table did not have much hang over the machine base.
No doubt some would call that a “safety feature “. And there were a bunch of pieces to the thing I had never seen before . Didn’t use ‘em.

Jared Sankovich
10-27-2021, 9:28 AM
I decided it’s worth it to just have them crate it and have it shipped, it would be a long day to go down and take care of it myself. Less stress and I can keep workin. Doesn’t feel like a much of a gamble..

On another note, the manual says spindle diameter from 30 1” 1/4 - 34 - 40 - 50

Does this mean it takes multiple spindle sizes? What collet size should I purchase?

I’ll wait until it arrives before buying to confirm. What maker or supplier do you folks recommend?

It looks* like a 1.25" in the picture.

You can get other sizes but 1. New they will cost more than you paid for the machine. 2. Not much demand for 30/40/50mm spindles in the US. If you currently don't have any shaper tooling just buy 1.25" bore heads.

If you want a router bit collet, you may want to inquire if they are available from scmi.

William Bell
10-29-2021, 4:10 PM
At $800 it is indeed a no brainer. I recently bought a Powermatic model 26 in excellent condition for $800. The 26 is nowhere near the machine that you purchased. As another poster said, they are usually in the area of $3500 around the Phila. area.

Michael Schuch
11-01-2021, 10:43 PM
I have found a used SCMi T130 Shaper for sale and am curious what others experience is with this machine. Does it warrant a 8 hr round way trip to inspect/purchase. It’s priced at $800 without cutter heads, the seller says it whines so new bearings and a new pigtail are needed.

This would be my first shaper, so I’m not exactly sure what to look for if I go inspect it.

It does not have the slider feature, is this something that can it be added and is it even sold separately?

I mainly plan to use it tor edge profiles, but it would be great to set it up for tenons as well. I know shapers are quite versatile so tell me what else you are using them for in your shop?

Thank you

Christopher,

Just curious if your new to you shaper has arrived yet?

David Kumm
11-02-2021, 12:12 PM
When setting the spindle, you do have to be careful to bottom out the taper. It is possible to turn the collar nut and think the spindle is bedded when it isn't, causing runout. Dave

Mel Fulks
11-02-2021, 12:49 PM
Sometimes the O rings get torn up and not replaced and sometimes the spindles are just put in wrong. Some hacks like the spindles put in
so that they are difficult to remove…..while other hacks like to see them unwind and come out of machine while it’s running. The collar around
the spindle needs to be positioned correctly before putting in in the machine. Replace the O ring BEFORE it falls apart. Couple of times Ive
seen companies have to call in a machinist to remove too tight spindles.

Christopher Renner
11-05-2021, 12:24 AM
Great info gentleman, thank you

It arrives Monday!

Michael Schuch
11-06-2021, 6:33 PM
Cool, I look forwards to hearing your impression of it?

Do you feel comfortable sharing how much the shipping cost? All the deals I find are always in the Portland area. Lol!

Christopher Renner
11-10-2021, 12:28 AM
Crossed some wires about the pickup/drop off. So it was picked up Monday, delivery is hopefully Thursday or Friday..

Definitely why shipping was under $200

andrew whicker
11-11-2021, 9:55 AM
You got it LTL shipped across the country for $200? That's seems like a steal.

andrew whicker
11-11-2021, 9:57 AM
Here's a Shaper for sale for the same price in Utah:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65500394

:D

Phillip Mitchell
11-11-2021, 10:19 AM
Here's a Shaper for sale for the same price in Utah:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65500394

:D

LOL, that more typically of what is out there. Small shaper that maybe works, little rusty, missing some parts - $750. At least it’s well lit photos and there isn’t years of dust and crap on the machine. That’s actually more typical :D

Also, I think the OP just got it shipped through part of OR and not across the country?

andrew whicker
11-11-2021, 5:25 PM
Yeah, whoops. Got my responses, etc mixed up. :)

Michael Schuch
11-11-2021, 5:40 PM
You got it LTL shipped across the country for $200? That's seems like a steal.

I believe the shaper was shipped from Bend, OR to Portland, OR which is about 200 miles. Which is still quite a good deal.

Christopher Renner
11-11-2021, 8:47 PM
Your correct.. only about 200 miles for shipping. My VW can’t tow 1100 lbs and even if it could after I factor in; fuel, rental of truck or trailer, a day of earning lost and the added stress.. I think $200 is a steal!

🤞🏼 It arrives tomorrow, doesn’t matter much tho.. still need to replace bearings and buy collets

What brand of collets do you all like?

Jared Sankovich
11-11-2021, 8:58 PM
Your correct.. only about 200 miles for shipping. My VW can’t tow 1100 lbs and even if it could after I factor in; fuel, rental of truck or trailer, a day of earning lost and the added stress.. I think $200 is a steal!

🤞🏼 It arrives tomorrow, doesn’t matter much tho.. still need to replace bearings and buy collets

What brand of collets do you all like?

I don't think the collets are going to be a easy find short of a custom spindle or locating a used one if they ever existed.

Christopher Renner
11-13-2021, 2:03 AM
The beast has landed!

I knew the dimensions but that did not prepare me for how massive it is.. I could curl up for a nap on that cast iron!

I was late for dinner so I had to run once we had it unloaded so I forgot to measure the spindle, looks like 1-1/4” to me, although it’s covered up in my photo by a dc fitting

so if it is a standard size, who’s cutters should I be looking at?

Mike King
11-13-2021, 8:37 AM
The beast has landed!

I knew the dimensions but that did not prepare me for how massive it is.. I could curl up for a nap on that cast iron!

I was late for dinner so I had to run once we had it unloaded so I forgot to measure the spindle, looks like 1-1/4” to me, although it’s covered up in my photo by a dc fitting

Rangate. Whitehill.

Jared Sankovich
11-13-2021, 8:58 AM
The beast has landed!

I've been happy with amana insert heads (rebate blocks, groovers. 40mm euro blocks) I have a bunch of CMT heads that I picked up for about 25% of retail. They are decent but I'm not sure I would pay full retail on them.

Titan (import) makes decent corrugated heads.

Freeborn if you want brazed carbide.

What are you looking to make?

Kevin Jenness
11-13-2021, 9:13 AM

The brands suggested by Mike and Jared are good. Buy as needed. Your investment in cutters will rapidly surpass what you have in the machine. I have three cope and stick sets, Euro block, corrugated back head, matched tenon cutters, a Freeborn lock miter set (the best imo), stacking groover set, a couple of raised panel cutters, rabbeting head, segmented flush cutter, a number of half and quarter rounds, an adjustable angle chamfer head, among others- it adds up. Replaceable indexed cutters are a good investment in the long run. If you don't have one get a power feeder.

Mike King
11-13-2021, 9:33 AM
Have you used a shaper? Even if you have, I can't recommend Alpine Workshop's Advanced Joinery class enough.

https://alpineworkshops.com

It is taught by Joe Calhoon (ultimate Joe) who posts here from time to time. Pay attention to his posts -- he really knows what he's talking about!

Christopher Renner
11-13-2021, 10:55 AM
Thank you gentlemen! It needs some tlc before use and I need to keep working. This new shop is 🤑 🤑 🤑

First project for the shaper is in January, bunch of bead & cove for a cedar soaking tub, have a few of those to make next year. I like to make my own ship lap and I would love to use it for tenons but without a crosscut sled that seems quite dangerous. Plenty of other applications as well. I’m not a cabinet maker so the only raised panels I’ll be making will be by hand…doss that make me a masochist? 🙃

I’m looking for a good power feeder, something that deserves to be attached to this behemoth, so far I’m considering the Felder F 48 four roller, it’s $1500 but I think Felder is worth it. I love my AD 741!

I used to work in the boat world so I’ve used shapers plenty, lots of pattern stuff without a fence.. that will wake you up in the morning!

Phillip Mitchell
11-13-2021, 11:20 AM
I I were looking to buy a new feeder I would try to get this one - > https://www.shopgearinc.com/products/co-matic-power-feeders/dc-variable-speed-feeders/ds400-smart-feeder-variable-speed

More than the Felder you mentioned, but I have seen some videos and it looks amazingly convenient and quick to set up and adjust.

I have a shear cutting rabbeting block from Amana that I really like and use all the time. It was around $250, I think. Adjustable groover are nice to have as well. Whitehill is also a very solid brand with a lot of options. So is Rangate. So many options for shaper cutters and heads.

Mike King
11-13-2021, 11:39 AM
I I were looking to buy a new feeder I would try to get this one - > https://www.shopgearinc.com/products/co-matic-power-feeders/dc-variable-speed-feeders/ds400-smart-feeder-variable-speed

More than the Felder you mentioned, but I have seen some videos and it looks amazingly convenient and quick to set up and adjust.

I have a shear cutting rabbeting block from Amana that I really like and use all the time. It was around $250, I think. Adjustable groover are nice to have as well. Whitehill is also a very solid brand with a lot of options. So is Rangate. So many options for shaper cutters and heads.

Definitely go with the smart stand!!!! Not really a workable option on my CF741, but you have a dedicated shaper and you will not regret getting the smart stand!!!

Mike King
11-13-2021, 11:40 AM
FYI, there's a lot of professional cabinet, window, and door makers who come to Joe's workshops...

Mike

Mark Bolton
11-13-2021, 11:42 AM
We have two of the Comatic DC40's with smart stands. They are the bomb but they hurt real bad on the wallet region. The gain in horizontal/vertical swap over time and the variable speed is hard to get over once youve used it. If I were just running pretty much fixed speed work all the time on a machine I'd go with that comatic AF72 style feeder that is the same as the felder. If you are leaning towards the felder for cost you can shop around because that style feeder is pretty much the same under numerous brands.

Jared Sankovich
11-13-2021, 12:02 PM
If I ever buy a new feeder it will be a dc40. Not completely sold on the smart stand though.

Mark Bolton
11-13-2021, 12:12 PM
They are beasts (the stand). The horizontal vertical swap, and then swing to a fixed lock postion is handy. But its a spendy adder. I wish I'd gone with a DC40 and a DC70 but it is what it is. Im not investing in any new equipment but if I were I'd sell one of the 40's and buy a 70.

Albert Lee
11-13-2021, 3:15 PM
I have the DC40 and the stand itself is phenomenal.

Warren Lake
11-13-2021, 3:32 PM
have old school stuff and level of torture varies with brand. If you have old school I think its good to block them. I have one that moves and that will never end in a positive way.

Mike King
11-13-2021, 4:44 PM
Thank you gentlemen! It needs some tlc before use and I need to keep working. This new shop is 螺 螺 螺

First project for the shaper is in January, bunch of bead & cove for a cedar soaking tub, have a few of those to make next year. I like to make my own ship lap and I would love to use it for tenons but without a crosscut sled that seems quite dangerous. Plenty of other applications as well. I’m not a cabinet maker so the only raised panels I’ll be making will be by hand…doss that make me a masochist? 

I’m looking for a good power feeder, something that deserves to be attached to this behemoth, so far I’m considering the Felder F 48 four roller, it’s $1500 but I think Felder is worth it. I love my AD 741!

I used to work in the boat world so I’ve used shapers plenty, lots of pattern stuff without a fence.. that will wake you up in the morning!

Realize that the Felder feeder isn't made by Felder -- if I recall correctly, it is actually a rebranded Steff. You can probably buy it for less directly from Steff...

Christopher Renner
11-15-2021, 11:50 PM
I’m very interested in the Comatic feeders, I don’t quite grasp the differences, will take more research

My idea on the Felder feeder are tied to a deposit I have on an Felder RL140 slated to arrive early next year. If I pass on the collector I could use the non refundable deposit towards the feeder

Mel Fulks
11-16-2021, 1:49 AM
Some good machine feeders are, or used to be , sold new with really bad tires that have no grip. Be carefull.

Mark Bolton
11-16-2021, 9:27 AM
Some good machine feeders are, or used to be , sold new with really bad tires that have no grip. Be carefull.

That was true even with the Comatic DC40s at least when I ordered but that was some time ago. I ordered a set of western roller wheels and a couple half wheels the same day the feeder was ordered and jerked the stock wheels off when it came out of the box. The stock wheels are not miserable to have especially if you run into a situation where you really want to crowd the cutter with one wheel or even cut into the tire slightly. Rare, but Ive done it a few times and just tossed one of the stock wheels in that location.

Erik Loza
11-16-2021, 9:28 AM
Realize that the Felder feeder isn't made by Felder -- if I recall correctly, it is actually a rebranded Steff. You can probably buy it for less directly from Steff...

This is correct. Steff is pretty much "the feeder" that many European companies buy and re-brand. They are rock-solid reliable but also very basic in design. I have no idea how their pricing stacks up against ours, though. Several of my customers own Comatic DC feeders and I must say, they are pretty awesome. I believe Shopgear is the dealer.

Erik

Jared Sankovich
11-16-2021, 9:51 AM
This is correct. Steff is pretty much "the feeder" that many European companies buy and re-brand. They are rock-solid reliable but also very basic in design. I have no idea how their pricing stacks up against ours, though. Several of my customers own Comatic DC feeders and I must say, they are pretty awesome. I believe Shopgear is the dealer.

Erik

Is anyone even left besides Steff and Comatic?

Erik Loza
11-16-2021, 9:54 AM
Is anyone even left besides Steff and Comatic?

I don't think so.

Erik

Mark Bolton
11-16-2021, 5:30 PM
I’m very interested in the Comatic feeders, I don’t quite grasp the differences, will take more research

My idea on the Felder feeder are tied to a deposit I have on an Felder RL140 slated to arrive early next year. If I pass on the collector I could use the non refundable deposit towards the feeder

Your main advantage with the DC40 style feeder is complete variable speed across its range (down to like 7fpm). The ability to stop/start the feeder/change direction, change feed speed on-the-fly, and tool free wheel swaps. I think they may have changed now but DC40's I have have basically a large wing nut holding the wheels on so there is no need to spin out 4 socket head cap screws to swap a wheel. You can change wheel configurations in seconds. The variable speed on the fly is super handy in my opinion being able to start into a cut a bit conservative and ramp up to the sweet spot with no shifting gears, swapping out sprockets, etc.. Ive even found it handy running knotty material where you can dial down the speed approaching a gnarly spot and then ramp back up.

Expensive options but they are handy when you need them. The feeder, and the smart stand, are massive, so thats something to keep in consideration.

David Kumm
11-17-2021, 9:48 AM
Is Pertici gone now too? Their Univer feeders were a step above Steff. I'm not sure that at least some of the Steff parts are now Chinese. They used to rebadge certain feeders from Comatic. The new Comatic DC style are the way to go if buying new. I found a like new Univer for $500 or I'd have one. I like the old Elu feeders as well. Dave

Mike Kees
11-17-2021, 1:53 PM
Both of the power feeders on my shapers are made by Comatic. I have one four wheel rebadged Delta and one rebadged King Industrial ,both have worked well after getting new rollers from western roller.

Warren Lake
11-17-2021, 9:21 PM
what durometer wheels 70 or 80? one material mostly or ?

Mel Fulks
11-18-2021, 12:46 AM
what durometer wheels 70 or 80? one material mostly or ?

The YELLOW ones !

Mel Fulks
01-22-2024, 2:47 PM
Never liked the sliding tables . Not flush with the rest of the table. A straight board leaning against the wall ,and at the ready is
better . Clamp it to table ….but wait ….I forgot that Scmi is usually difficult to clamp anything to clamp it. Some say it’s for safety,
well I know safety and I no likee that one.