PDA

View Full Version : Potential Woodworm in old chest

Theo Hall
10-21-2021, 8:19 AM
Hello folks,

I am considering buying myself an old chest. It is the perfect size that I need, however I feel quite concerned that there are a few holes on the drawers.

I am no expert at spotting woodworm - so I am writing here to ask for any advice on this. Do these little holes on the drawers look like woodworm?

Photo: https://ibb.co/tYVLRVB

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Jim Becker
10-21-2021, 9:14 AM
While it's certainly possible that it's an active creature, looking at the design of the chest, it may just be built of material that has "that look" on purpose. It looks to me like the finish actually goes into the holes and other "relicing" which would be an indicator of recycled/reclaimed material being used to build it originally. You'd need to check carefully to see if there's any sign of activity...new frass (powder coming out of holes), etc., would be a sign of an active infestation.

Theo Hall
10-21-2021, 9:32 AM
I should note that it is an antique chest, from 1940.

It is the Holes in the light brown drawers that concern me, rather than the Black exterior of the cabinet.

Robert Engel
10-21-2021, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't be scared of it. Odds are its old damage. Look around in there, if its an active infestation there will be traces of sawdust laying around.