PDA

View Full Version : Wen 4210

Denny Tudor
10-19-2021, 7:43 PM
I am a reader but fully confess to not being a wood worker.
Occasionally I build something - garden bench or the like.
I had a delta drill press that was more than enough for me until the reeves pulley failed . Fixed it once with JB Weld. That lasted a few months .
Not going down that’ road again.
I am looking for a small cheap Bench top 10” drill press under $200.

Any commendations or comments would be welcome. Any thoughts on Wen 4210t . Sufficient power and appropriate speed to drill metal is one thing I am interested in.

Thanks in advance

Denny

Rich Engelhardt
10-21-2021, 7:31 AM
Sufficient power and appropriate speed to drill metal is one thing I am interested in.I have the Wen 4214T ($272 back in May 2021 when I bought it). I love the variable speed. So much easier than changing the belt & pulleys.

The three areas where most - it not all - of the low end benchtop drill presses fall short is in - power - quill travel and low speed.

Oddly - the Wen 4208T - the basic no frills - 5 speed $117 - gets rave reviews. I came --><-- this close to buying that instead of the 4214T - but - the lowest speed is only 700 rpm.

The only drawbacks I can see to the 4210 is a lack of power & a small quill travel.

IMHO - Wen offers a lot of bang for the buck though. Harbor Freight prices & decent build quality.

Joe Hendershott
10-21-2021, 7:58 AM
I also have the 4214T. While it has plenty of power for what I do I find that the lowest speed is really still too fast. The variable speed, at least thus far, has been a waste.

Curt Harms
10-21-2021, 8:11 AM
I also have the 4214T. While it has plenty of power for what I do I find that the lowest speed is really still too fast. The variable speed, at least thus far, has been a waste.

That's the problem with inexpensive drill presses -- too high minimum speed. The speeds available on are fine for 1/8" to probably 1/2" bits. Bigger than that becomes a problem. It also depends on what you're drilling. Here's a chart that gives recommended speeds for different bits and materials:

https://carbideprocessors.com/content/drill-speed.pdf

That company gets positive reviews here and elsewhere.