PDA

View Full Version : As if Alaska in the wintertime weren’t bad enough!

Bruce Page
01-14-2006, 3:05 PM
Cripes! I’m heading back to Kodiak Wednesday and I just read that Mount Saint Augustine volcano just northeast of Kodiak is erupting. So far, 28 flights into Anchorage and Fairbanks have been canceled…what joy, I’ll probably end up on a boat!

Karl Laustrup
01-14-2006, 7:35 PM
How long you going for this time Bruce?

Pack the parka, and if I were you I'd book passage on the "Love Boat". :D That should get you there about the first week of June. That should be soon enough I would think. ;) :D

Karl

Scott Parks
01-14-2006, 7:47 PM
Aha... I heard anouncements in the airport yesterday about flights cancelled due to volcanic activity... The only mountain I know of is Denali. Guess I'll have to brush up on my geography... I was thinking that maybe there was an eruption somewhere else and blowing downwind.

Bruce, Have a nice trip, stay dry and warm....

Bruce Page
01-14-2006, 10:11 PM
How long you going for this time Bruce?

Pack the parka, and if I were you I'd book passage on the "Love Boat". :D That should get you there about the first week of June. That should be soon enough I would think. ;) :D

Karl
Karl, the usual, 2-6 weeks depending on how things go… Love boat? I’ll probably end up on a barge.:(

Scott, I did a Google Earth and activated volcanos - the place is loaded with them!

Frank Chaffee
01-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Scott, I did a Google Earth and activated volcanoes - the place is loaded with them!
Bruce,
Kodiak wouldn’t be anywhere near the Pacific Rim of Fire, would it?
You sure will be close, guy.
Best wishes,
Frank

Jerry Clark
01-15-2006, 4:04 PM
This is an view of the volcano-St Augustine from Google- flew over it in 1999. It has been smoking for a long time. I see they have resumed flights and maybe it will not affect your mission. Good Luck!:cool:

Bruce Page
01-15-2006, 4:37 PM
This is an view of the volcano-St Augustine from Google- flew over it in 1999. It has been smoking for a long time. I see they have resumed flights and maybe it will not affect your mission. Good Luck!:cool:

Thanks Jerry, that is good news!

Jerry Clark
01-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Live web cams of Alaska volcanos -- including St Augustine!:D http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/monitoring.php