PDA

View Full Version : Tool Pictures - as promised

Tom Cooney
01-14-2006, 2:46 PM
Ok here are the pictures as promised.

The first picture is of the two shooting boards I use the most, a 90 degree and a 45 degree. I used scrap 3/4" plywood, 1/4" hardboard to make the step and scrap 8/4 cherry. The working faces have 400 grit sandpaper for friction without damage to the wood.

The top plane is a 21" purpleheart jointer with a hock "Krenov style" blade. From left to right are a maple jack plane with a hock iron, a birdseye maple / walnut block plane with a single Iron I made from an O1 steel, a wenge router plane based on a popular woodworking article from last summer, and a maple cabinet scraper.

From top left to right - a cutting gauge using a wedge to hold the arm - I cut the blade out of an old tablesaw blade, a curly maple spoke shave from a Veritas kit, two hold fasts I made from scrap steel, a pin marking gauge, a drawbore pin from a recent magazine article, a pencil marking gauge, two curly maple squares with walnut bases, a bevel gauge, and a paduak/purpleheart marking knife.

Tyler - :D they do exist.

tod evans
01-14-2006, 3:08 PM
way to go tom! nice tools.

Mark Singer
01-14-2006, 3:49 PM
Excellent! Use them well.... the planes look great!

Dan Forman
01-14-2006, 4:34 PM
Very cool, really like the shape of your jointer.

Dan

Mike Wenzloff
01-14-2006, 6:40 PM
Very nice Tom! Thanks for the pictures.

Take care, Mike

Bob Noles
01-14-2006, 7:16 PM
Way to go Tom.... You passed the initiation to the club by posting those picture. Tyler will be along shortly to give you the secret hand shake that will give you full access to the rest of SCM areas that you don't know about yet :cool:

Great job on the tools and thanks for sharing.

Tyler Howell
01-14-2006, 11:27 PM
It's about time. The SWAT team was put on standby:mad: !
Very nice Tom Glad to have you swimming in the creek;) .

Alan Turner
01-15-2006, 5:34 AM
Nice work, Tom. I also like to make, or remake, tools. Could you provide details, etc., on the drawbore tool? Is this for marking the hole center on the tenon for a drawbore? Is it an eccentric "awl" of sorts? I guess if this is what it is, then one be be needed for each size of the pins to be used.

Welcome to the right side of SMC.;)

Tom Cooney
01-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Alan,

The tool is based on an article by Chris Schwartz in Issue 4 of Woodworking magazine. In operation a hole is drilled in the mortice, the tenon inserted and the hole center is marked by using a standard awl. The hole in the tenon is drilled slightly off-center to the shoulder side. The drawbore tool has a sufficient draft angle to pull the tenon tight when inserted. I followed the article instructions and ordered a cheap set of drifts from sears to get the right starting point.

Tom

Alan Turner
01-16-2006, 9:21 AM
Thanks for the info.

Ernie Kuhn
01-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Tom,
The bench top looks a bit unusual?
Ernie

Tom Cooney
01-23-2006, 8:44 AM
Hi Ernie,

I made the wood magazine drop leaf work bench,

http://store.woodstore.net/dropwor.html

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/woodstore_1879_65137028

Everything goes against the walls and in a small alcove at the back of the garage during bad weather. This workbench is fairly stable and collapses nicely. I'm a big guy and the bench does tend to move a bit during planeing. Eventually this will become an assembly table when I either get more room or get better at organization so I can make an European style workbench.

Tom

Steve Clardy
01-23-2006, 9:23 AM
Nice work. Nice tools!

Ernie Kuhn
01-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Tom,
Excellent job! Though not a roll-around, I hung a collapsible bench off the studs in the garage in Pittsburgh, that folded down against the wall, same stability problem but gave me a work surface none the less. I have the same intent regarding the building of a proper work bench but "round-to-its" haven't gone on sale yet. Hopefully this year. Again, excellent job.
Ernie