PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a propane fire pit table?

dennis thompson
10-15-2021, 6:50 AM
We are thinking of getting a propane table fire pit for our patio.
Anybody have one?
What do you think of it?
I’ve heard they use a lot of gas, I’m less concerned about that , and more concerned about the quality of the fire pit.
Thanks

Jerome Stanek
10-15-2021, 3:58 PM
I have a Bistro heated table that works nice keeps you warm when it is cool outside

Ron Citerone
10-15-2021, 6:07 PM
I have a Bistro heated table that works nice keeps you warm when it is cool outside

Agree. My daughter has a table and it definetely extends the season.

Jim Braun
10-15-2021, 9:10 PM
A friend of mine has a double wall wood burning fire pit, very nice. It has a adjustable grate for cooking and unlike any other wood burning fire pit I have seen no one gets blasted with smoke. It is the only wood burning fire pit I have experienced where you don’t need to shower after sitting around the fire. It also keeps you warmer than a propane pit.

Jack Frederick
10-16-2021, 10:09 AM
Propane is expected to skyrocket price wise this winter, around $6 from what I hear. Both of my SIL have a Solo stove wood burner. They have a base and you can put it on a deck. No smoke unless you load it above the rim. Worth a look I think

Ted Calver
10-16-2021, 6:03 PM
I have an Outland Fire Bowl (https://outlandliving.com/products/deluxe-fire-pit?variant=38715929166009) and love it. No affiliation.

Bill Dufour
10-17-2021, 3:29 PM
why not NG?
Bill D

Lee DeRaud
10-17-2021, 5:48 PM
why not NG?I thought about stubbing in a line when we were pouring the new patio, but didn't want to commit to a fixed furniture arrangement.
The propane-fueled table (from Target of all places) ends up getting moved once or twice a year.

Bill Dufour
10-17-2021, 7:20 PM
Use a hose.
Bill D

Lee DeRaud
10-17-2021, 8:48 PM
Use a hose.Sure, what could possibly go wrong?

Kev Williams
10-17-2021, 9:55 PM
$60 for a 24' NG hose on Amazon-

Alan Lightstone
10-18-2021, 11:30 AM
I had one about 4 years ago that was propane. Really nice flame. Converted it to natural gas when we had some piping put in for an outdoor kitchen. Changed to the appropriate fittings (unit was rated for both natural gas and propane). The flame looked terrible with natural gas. We really regretted the change.

Lee DeRaud
10-18-2021, 11:42 AM
I had one about 4 years ago that was propane. Really nice flame. Converted it to natural gas when we had some piping put in for an outdoor kitchen. Changed to the appropriate fittings (unit was rated for both natural gas and propane). The flame looked terrible with natural gas. We really regretted the change.Probably needs a different jet size. There's a set of jets marked "propane" taped under the top of my (NG) range. Never checked to see whether they're larger or smaller than the installed jets, but I assume the flow rate is different between the two gasses.

Most gas logs use NG and the flames look fine. (Or at least just like what I see in the firepit...whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder.)

James Cheever
10-18-2021, 2:35 PM
We gave one to our daughter and son-in-law for their deck.

They love it.

Kev Williams
10-18-2021, 2:54 PM
Propane jets are tiny compared to NG jets; NG is delivered at a much lower pressure than propane.

And FWIW- I have a propane fire table. It's wonderful, when it works. Not sure why but it has a thermocouple issue. We first used it out at the lake on a patio dock we built (the fire table wasn't ours at the time), and it would only work sporadically. The owner bought a new thermocouple and it worked great, for about 2 weeks, then it just plain wouldn't light. I bought another thermocouple for it, and it worked great. A few months later the table's owners moved to Florida and gave us the table. We brought it home, where it worked for one night then died. So I figured maybe the burner was bad, so I bought a whole new burner for it. Complete new burner wouldn't work right either. I can go out there right now and it may work, may not. And if it does fire, it'll shut down within 10 minutes.

And speaking of thermocouples, we have a propane patio heater, worked great for 2 winters, then I couldn't light it unless the wife held a second lighter to the thermocouple. The pilot would then light afterwards, and the heater worked as long as it was on, but when turning it off to just the pilot light, the pilot would go out after about 2 or 3 minutes.

Our son bought the same model patio heater as ours 2 years later, and I guess thermocouples are a problem with some propane items, his heater has no pilot or thermocouple at all, the propane delivery is done with the main knob and lighted by an ignitor-- exactly like most BBQ's...

Malcolm McLeod
10-18-2021, 3:27 PM
Propane jets are tiny compared to NG jets; NG is delivered at a much lower pressure than propane. ...

Propane & NG have different BTU content (energy density) and so much different requirements for air::fuel ratios. This drives orifice sizes. Most* gas appliances use a single pressure regulator - no matter the fuel source - leaving the orifice size to determine the air::fuel ratio.

* Not claiming to know every appliance, just generalizing from those I have seen / worked with.

Bill Dufour
10-19-2021, 10:53 AM
I bought a unused propane stove and converted it to ng. The regulator had a top hat cover that was flipped over to reduce pressure setting. It did not include NG jets so I drilled out the propane ones.