PDA

View Full Version : New Craftsman mortiser.

Jim Davenport
01-14-2006, 12:26 PM
I got a gift certificate from Sears for Christmas, from my youngest son. This week, I finally had time to shop at Sears.
While I was looking around, I found this mortiser. It was on sale, plus with a "Craftsman Club" $20 off, I got it for $160 plus change. It is model 152- 21907. The one I got is different from the model in the calalog (0921906). It came with a set of chisels, and a Riser block. It looks very similar to the Delta 14-651.
I sharpened and honed all the chisels, and did some pratice mortises on some scrap. It appears to cut very smooth.
This year I want to build some "Mission style furniture, and it will be very handy.
Does any one know who Sears Vendor #152 is? I tried looking on the "Old woodworkers Forum", but they didn't have a listing for that number.

Todd Davidson
01-14-2006, 7:24 PM
Hi Jim~

The manufactuter is Orion (the same folks that make the Hybdid saws for Craftsman and Delta - may explain why it looks similar to the Delta. Orion was formed by employees that left Delta. They also manufacture for Craftsman their stationary jointers and their variable speed bench grinders).

In peace, Todd

Jason Tuinstra
01-14-2006, 7:44 PM
I didn't know that had one in their lineup. Nice score. Looks like a workhorse. Congrats!

John Miliunas
01-14-2006, 8:40 PM
Though I'm not familiar with the unit, it looks like it should do the job just fine. Great price, too! :) BTW Jim, that's one HUMUNGOUS shop you have there!!! Lots of natural light, too! :D :cool:

Jim Davenport
01-14-2006, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. I looked up "Orion", and got this interesting result.
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/archive/51/interview.cfm

Corey Hallagan
01-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Nice gloat! Congrats!

Corey

Jeff Cybulski
01-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Jim - good luck with you new gloat. Seems Craftsman might be on the comeback.

Jeff