PDA

View Full Version : Please help Need replacement conveyor motor for Performax ShopPro 25

Brent McDonald
10-13-2021, 12:42 PM
Please help. We need a replacement conveyor motor for Performax ShopPro 25 Drum sander

Jet says it's obsolete in their system. Not sure where to turn

The part number in the manual is 71-1301
The motor is a Dayton 8HK98

SPECS

Volts: 90 DC Amps: 3.42
Ratio 98:1 HP: 1/30 Input Motor
RPM: 32 Torque: 43 LnLb

Earl McLain
10-13-2021, 1:46 PM
If it was a stock Dayton motor, i could see Jet (or really, any manufacturer) not stocking the replacement. You might start with Dayton or one of their distributors like Grainger or McMaster-Carr. May very well still be made, or there is probably a good cross-reference in the Dayton system.
earl

Bill Dufour
10-13-2021, 3:51 PM
quick google search turned up this. Different part number. I assume you can buy that for about 1/2 of what grainger wants. The important specs are, dc volts, rpm and shaft size, mounting holes should be to some standard.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-DC-Gearmotor-90V-DC-1LPW2

Bill D

Bill Dufour
10-13-2021, 3:54 PM
can you replace just the motor? It may have the shaft cut as a gear so not easy to find. If the box is good belt drive can be set up.
Bill D.

Bill Dufour
10-13-2021, 3:57 PM
can you replace just the motor? It may have the shaft cut as a gear so not easy to find. If the box is good belt drive can be set up.
Bill D.

some info about NEMA small size motors and gearboxes.
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/overview/catalog/power_transmission_(mechanical)/precision_gearboxes_for_small_nema_motors

Richard Coers
10-14-2021, 11:02 AM
You know for sure the motor failed and not the speed control? Much more likely that the potentiometer failed than the motor.

Bill Dufour
10-14-2021, 4:43 PM
Try running the motor with a 12 volt battery or charger. It should move a little with no load. Or 120 volts ac through one rectifier yields 90 volts dc. Not a bridge rectifier.
Bill D

Richard Coers
10-14-2021, 8:31 PM
Also had another idea, be sure to check the brushes in the motor.

Dick Strauss
10-14-2021, 11:06 PM
Look at the speed pot as the source of the issue as Richard stated. The motor will not turn if the pot circuit Opens. I've replaced the pot several times on a Ryobi sander for a friend. Buy a good milspec pot and not a cheap one f you replace it. I replaced it several times with another cheap one that I had on hand. What a waste of time!