PDA

View Full Version : OT Angioplasty

Chuck Wintle
01-14-2006, 11:42 AM
My mother is going to have an angioplasty this week and since I am unable to talk to the doctor about it I was wondering if anyone knows something about it. Is it risky etc. Thanks

Tyler Howell
01-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Chuck ,
All invasive procedures have a degree of risk, but new advances make this low on the scale. As with power tools, do your home work. Get a 2nd opinion and shop around for a Dr, hospital, health care team ........
As important is follow up care, take the meds, diet exersize......
Good luck and we'll be sending up a few prayers.;)

Chuck Wintle
01-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Chuck ,
All invasive procedures have a degree of risk, but new advances make this low on the scale. As with power tools, do your home work. Get a 2nd opinion and shop around for a Dr, hospital, health care team ........
As important is follow up care, take the meds, diet exersize......
Good luck and we'll be sending up a few prayers.;)
Tyler,
Thanks for the kind words.

Alan Shaw
01-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Chuck

I had it done 2 years ago. All procedures are risky, but the angioplasty is so common that the risks are few. They used to sand bag your leg where they inserted the tube and you had to lay still for 4 - 8 hours. Now they put a plug in it which desolves over time.

Like I said no biggy.

Good luck and hope your mother is ok.

Alan

Jim Becker
01-14-2006, 1:53 PM
Angioplasty is not only a life-saver, it's also something that is a lot easier on the individual than more invasive surgery. As Alan indicates, the techniques have greatly improved over the years, too. Like any procedure, using a facility/doctor who does a LOT of it generally is best. Best wishes to your mom!

Karl Laustrup
01-14-2006, 7:42 PM
Charles, I had one done and a stent placed about 4-5 years ago now. The best part was when they put some stuff in so they could see the arteries better, I guess. The guy said here it comes and it was instant warm from head to toe. My mom just had the procedure done a couple of months ago also. She's 83.

Your mom will be sore for a while in the area of the leg where they insert the tube. And if like my mom, black and blue for about a month. All in all a pretty routine procedure anymore.

Karl

Tom Drake
01-15-2006, 5:34 AM
Although there is always some risk the doctors have pretty much perfected this proceedure. I have had it done twice over tha past 5 years and both times it was a piece of cake.

Mike Maikowski
01-15-2006, 12:49 PM
In the past I have had four done and was fine after that. since the last one--they damaged the nerve in the left arm pit and now my left thumb and first two fingers are numb. can't pick it a pencil or make a fist. they said it would get better but that was six weeks ago.
This was done at the VA Medical center in Detroit and am really angry at them for letting a dang intern do the job. I did not think the doctor would let a intern do it,
Mike

Wolf Kiessling
01-15-2006, 1:42 PM
Until year before last, I would have agreed with most of the posts re this subject. My wife had one done a few years ago, and, as most said, no biggie. However, year before last she had another one done which started a set of events that resulted in her death last year. The procedure itself was not the culprit but it set things in motion.

I won't go into the whole set of events, but what started the problem was that they thought the angioplasty had created a blood clot which cause her left foot to become gangrenous. Consequently, she was put on cuomadin (sp?) therapy which did not good. After at least a half dozen docs were consulted, she was sent to the University hospital where she was correctly diagnosed as having had a piece of plaque knocked loose which in turn caused the gangrene. We were also told that the cuomadin therapy, started due to the misdiagnosis, softened the plaque and aggrevated the problem. From there on, things just went downhill after two amputations plus a femoral artery bypass.

The upshot of the whole thing is this, people are generally warned that a blood clot can result due to the angioplasty but most, doctors and patients, generally shrug this off. IT IS an invasive procedure and can be very dangerous. I understand the risk of a clot is only about one percent but you have the weigh the benefits versus the risks. My own feeling is, if I was told I needed this procedure, I would only submit to it if there were ABSOLUTELY no other option available and I would probably die if I didn't have it. BTW, the cardiologist who performed my late wife's procedure is arguably the top cardiologist in Lawton, OK.

I wish y'all the very best of luck.......

Chuck Wintle
01-16-2006, 7:11 PM
Well my mother underwent treatment today and they discovered an angioplasty was not necessary. The doctors said the blockages were too small so with medication and a controlled diet she should be OK. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and well wishes.

Karl Laustrup
01-16-2006, 7:32 PM
That's great news, Charles. Diet and exercise and some meds.

Karl

Tom Stover
01-16-2006, 7:57 PM
My son, 38yrs old, would have loved to have angioplasty, instead last friday he had a quadruple by-pass. He is doing well and recovering rapidly.