PDA

View Full Version : Solution: DeWalt adapters and Festool vacuums

David Stone (CT)
10-12-2021, 10:34 PM
I recently purchased a couple DeWalt 20v tools that feature a DeWalt proprietary dust port design and, in the course of figuring out how to connect them to my dust extractor, hit upon a solution to a different issue frustrating me: how to connect the current generation of Festool vac hose end--also a proprietary design--to anything non-Festool. I share the info here in the hope it helps others facing either challenge.

DeWalt makes a part, DWV9000, that they somewhat confusingly label a "universal adapater" for their proprietary dust port design. Its intended purpose is that the user cut off and discard whatever connector end is on their existing spiral type dust extractor hose and permanently thread on this adapter in its place, thereby transforming the hose and whatever vac it's connected to into a system able to couple to DeWalt's proprietary ports. No doubt it fills that function perfectly, but that's not what's relevant here. What I discovered is that the hose on my Festool CT-26 is a just-about-perfect friction fit into the hose end of of the DWV9000 adapter, no modification or surgery necessary. No undue force is necessary nor do the thread systems on each one engage yet it's quite secure due to closely matching diameters and the adapter being rigid plastic and the hose end somewhat flexible. In this configuration, the Festool vac can couple to DeWalt tools with the proprietary DeWalt dust ports, which solves my first problem. But equally important and perhaps of wider interest is that with the DWV9000 adapter installed, the Festool vac hose is able to couple up to a whole universe of other non-Festool tools and accessories, new or old--solving my second issue. This is because DeWalt makes a slew of adapters that connect its proprietary dust collector hose end, or the DWV9000 adapter installed on a non-DeWalt hose, to all sorts of other dust ports and accessories regardless of brand or era, including especially the 35 mm tapered and non-tapered dust ports widely found on many tools and accessories like the older router and sander and the ubiquitous vac detail tool and brush shown in my pics. DeWalt part nos. DWV9130 and DWV9150 are especially useful in this regard; DWV9120, which happens to be somewhat akin to the old style Festool end, also works but is less secure in these applications. (Kudos, DeWalt, and boo, Festool, for recognizing or not that your customers want your products to work with stuff they have or prefer, even if not yours.)466356466357466359466358