PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw setup and checking questions

Josh Goldsmith
01-14-2006, 11:27 AM
I just bought my first bandsaw. It is a G0555. I bought it used so the previous owner adjusted everything. My question to you guys is what should i check on before i really start using it. I cut some stock last night when i unloaded but it seamed to work fine. The tension guide in the back was so simple i thought i must have forgotten something. Also the support bearing spacing behind the blade seamed a little far. Also is there anything that will help the performance of my bandsaw that i should upgrade asap? Thanks Josh

larry fredric
01-14-2006, 11:50 AM
best upgrade if you are new to woodworking with bandsaw is to buy Mark Duginski's bandsaw book . Answers 99% of all bandsaw questions and setups as well as projects. Check with Woodcraft,or Amazon. I'm sure others will jump in for specifics to your Grizzly.Have fun :D:D
Larry Fredric

Jim Davenport
01-14-2006, 12:11 PM
I agree Bandsaw book is great. Mark has another excellent book that has a lot of bandsaw info, "Mastering Woodworking machines". There is also a great video to go with it.

Mike Cutler
01-14-2006, 12:27 PM
In addition to the Duginski book(s). Get a copy of the catalog put out by Louis Iturra, of Itura Designs. It's pretty much the bible for the 14" bandsaw. There is no website, but I believe that the Ph# is 888-722-7078.
I would consider Carter Guides, and Iturra springs as an upgrade some time down the road, but if it cuts well now, leave it alone.
The blade tracking probably needs to be adjusted. The move may have thrown it out a bit. The thrust bearing in the back should only have a few thou' of clearance between it and the blade. make sure that the upper and lower guide bearings and thrust bearings are set the same. It helps to keep the blade wandering down.
Make sure that the blade is square to the table. side to side and on the back of the blade. If necessary to shim the blade square from the back, I like to buy some cheap feeler gauge sets and use them as sacrificial pieces of shim stock, under the bolt heads that mount the table to the trunnion.
You mentioned that it came with 1/2" blades. Do you know the type and manufature of the blades?
Basically, if it works I really wouldn't mess with it too much.