PDA

View Full Version : Vests, Aprons, Smocks for Woodworking and Carpentry

derek labian
10-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Just curious which types of tool belts, smocks, aprons, and vests people are using while doing woodworking?

The apron I'm using has the fault that lots of things fall out when I bend over/down. Maybe there is no good solution for that.

Ron Citerone
10-12-2021, 1:52 PM
When I taught Industrial arts I used a denim apron with no pockets for keeping sawdust, paint and finish off my clothes. Worked great, comfortable and did not restrict movement. Only had one small pocket and honestly didn't use it.

George Yetka
10-12-2021, 1:54 PM
Ive tried a few I cant get used to it. Though I have only tried the heavier ones. The quality of the katz moses one is very good. I may try a lightweight cotton one at some point

Buck Beymer
10-12-2021, 2:10 PM
I use this apron daily and love it: Briteree canvas apron (https://www.amazon.com/Briteree-Woodworking-Woodworker-Pockets-Durable/dp/B07W3V6735/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=canvas+shop+apron&qid=1634061661&sr=8-13).
I'm a big fan of multiple pockets. Sometimes I'll even wear it outside the shop when fixing/installing things, to utilize the pockets and magnetic patch.

Like derek, if I bend over too far, my depth gauge and safety glasses will fall out of the loop/pocket I stash it in. It's irritating, but that's physics for you.

derek labian
10-12-2021, 2:14 PM
I use this apron daily and love it: Briteree canvas apron (https://www.amazon.com/Briteree-Woodworking-Woodworker-Pockets-Durable/dp/B07W3V6735/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=canvas+shop+apron&qid=1634061661&sr=8-13).

Cool magnetic features, especially that screw holder.

Frank Pratt
10-12-2021, 2:16 PM
I got this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07556KSWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quite inexpensive, durable and comfortable. Pocket layout is very good & there are flaps that keep the sawdust out of the lower ones. Unsecured items have occasionally fallen out of the top pockets, but that's infrequent. I do wish it had a metal tape measure holder, and I have plans to 'renovate' to include one.

Warren Lake
10-12-2021, 2:21 PM
depends on the work. in the shop had one tool belt 25 years all sown back up and stapled together. Carpenter friend tore strips off me to get a new one so finally did. It came apart in about a year.

Got Occidental and its forever stuff but its heavy and stiff but was good on roof rebuilds as you can hang drills from it. First time on the roof with it I bent over stuff fell out so I modified it and made it fully floating hanging off the suspenders but not attached in the middle. I did several modifications to that belt with stuff to make it more useable

Have lighter ones as well, All are a pain in the butt but in the shop the original one had had so much in it that it saved me lots of walking time. At the saw I had all the stuff I needed for measuring and checking. Squares calipers and and and. Blaakladder pants now hold sort of enough stuff. Belts on my waist are not comfortable always traveling around. Friends father said when you get old your ass will fall off and no hips and wearing a tool belt will be hard. Guess it happened.

Dave Cav
10-12-2021, 2:27 PM
I had an apron once that had a pencil/pen/ruler pocket on top that was only attached at the top edge, so it swung down when you leaned over and kept stuff from falling out. I was always afraid it was going to get caught in a lathe chuck or something.

I have the same problem with stuff (mostly 6" scales) falling out of my current crop of apron pockets. I'm thinking of sewing a flap over the top of the pencil pockets.

Paul F Franklin
10-12-2021, 2:31 PM
I have one of the bucket boss aprons and it's just OK. The pockets fill with sawdust over time which is likely the case with any that don't have cover flaps. It has enough pockets for the tools I normally keep in it. I've yet to find one from any manufacturer that has enough pencil pockets to suite me, most have one or two. I keep a mechanical pencil, a Pica dry, two sharpies, and a pen in my apron and would greatly prefer separate little compartments for each of them. I also have a tool vest that I mostly use when working outside on projects as I get too hot wearing it inside, even though it has a mesh back.

Brian Tymchak
10-12-2021, 2:51 PM
I volunteer at the local furniture bank. We cut lots of melamine and those cut edges really wear out a shirt quick. A few of the other guys on the cut crew wear aprons. Don't know what brands. Although I would like to have the protection, all aprons I've seen are too long for me. Would drive me nuts when I have to crouch, etc, and have that apron around my knees.

Zachary Hoyt
10-12-2021, 3:32 PM
I have a Bucket Boss leather apron with lots of pockets that I use on a ladder sometimes or on a roof, but in the shop I don't wear it much. I would like a long apron with no pockets that I could wear when turning, to keep the shavings out of my pants pockets. In the summer I wear shorts with no pockets and sandals, but in the winter my jeans pockets get full.

Chris Tolbert
10-12-2021, 3:53 PM
I have a canvas one that GF bought me for christmas last year. I have the same issue (stuff falling out - mainly the small metal ruler and the wrench for the router). I'm wondering if a magnet stuck to the inside would help...

derek labian
10-12-2021, 4:19 PM
I'm a big fan of multiple pockets. Sometimes I'll even wear it outside the shop when fixing/installing things, to utilize the pockets and magnetic patch.

Like derek, if I bend over too far, my depth gauge and safety glasses will fall out of the loop/pocket I stash it in. It's irritating, but that's physics for you.

I purchased this, I'm going to give it an "Amazon Try". :)

Mike Burke
10-12-2021, 5:10 PM
I tried a few different ones and have ended my search with this one. Straps fit me good and I like the pocket layout. Not to long either which doesn't restrict movement .
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/arsenal-5704-canvas-tool-apron-gray?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5JSLBhCxARIsAHgO2ScdkCLRPZ61uKRKZ9rd n8_0ajA2idEfr-A5_1OwwbXeuwJOvV5CpjQaAqIjEALw_wcB

Rich Engelhardt
10-12-2021, 6:50 PM
Harbor freight - $4 - can't beat it with a stick.
https://www.harborfreight.com/denim-apron-32306.html

michael langman
10-12-2021, 7:09 PM
Seven Mile Creek Apron has toolmaker, machinist aprons That I have used and like.

Earl McLain
10-12-2021, 7:52 PM
I have a Bucket Boss leather apron with lots of pockets that I use on a ladder sometimes or on a roof, but in the shop I don't wear it much. I would like a long apron with no pockets that I could wear when turning, to keep the shavings out of my pants pockets. In the summer I wear shorts with no pockets and sandals, but in the winter my jeans pockets get full.

Zach—try a turner’s smock. Zip to the neck and no shavings down the dirt into the uhhh belt line. And the fabric sheds chips keeping them out of pockets. I thought it was showy for a hack turner like me, but had to wear one in a week long class. After a few sessions I was hooked—especially for green bowls.
edit—should be no shavings down the SHIRT.
Earl

Jim Becker
10-12-2021, 8:15 PM
I don't use any kind of vest, apron, tool belt, etc., in my shop for woodworking outside of a smock when turning at the lathe to keep materai from going into my clothing from the turning process. I'm very anal about where tools and things are and have never felt the need to carry things around other than, perhaps, a pencil in my shirt pocket. For home improvement, I do use a tool belt due to the nature of the work.

My turning smocks have soft, elastic collars at the neck for comfort.

Jack Frederick
10-12-2021, 8:50 PM
I have a Duluth apron. It is comfortable to wear, when I remember to put it on. I do not like lower pockets in an apron. In fact, I don’t like pockets. My pencil is over my ear up in the ball cap and the tools are sometimes where I want them. The Duluth apron is nice.

derek labian
10-12-2021, 9:03 PM
Geez, I already got it. Amazon same-day delivery. Looks pretty nice, I'll try it out this weekend.

Warren Lake
10-12-2021, 9:28 PM
Waste of time going to get things when you are working or working at a machine. Instead you can have most of what you need in a tool belt. Sawdust in the belt never bothered me, blown out with compressed air every now and then.

David M Peters
10-13-2021, 2:26 PM
I like my Veritas Canvas apron (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/apparel-and-safety-gear/aprons/70774-veritas-canvas-apron?item=67K1010).. it's side pockets are a game-changer!

Buck Beymer
10-13-2021, 5:24 PM
Geez, I already got it. Amazon same-day delivery. Looks pretty nice, I'll try it out this weekend.

That's great. Let us know how you like it.

Mark Wooden
10-13-2021, 5:50 PM
For a long time, nothing but my Levi's and a tee shirt, flannel in the winter. Then went to a couple different aprons, some with multiple pockets- they were good for finishing and glue ups and such but the pockets fill up with sawdust and a mixture of fasteners, tidbits of mouldings etc
But the past few years I've taken to wearing bib overalls and am finally happy- lots of specific pockets for scales, pencils, phone, utility knife, folding rule, tape- everything and the pockets dont get full of junk and, depending on the brand, offer a nice layer of protection from flying sawdust and chips.

Corey Pelton
10-14-2021, 11:00 AM
I have a Calavera apron. Absolutely love it. Having everything on me is very handy, hah.

https://calaveratoolworks.com/

Kevin Jenness
10-14-2021, 11:19 AM
I've tried them all but aprons always seem to drag on finished work at some point and pockets fill up with crap. I used a drywaller's leather pouch, good tool organization, but still just too bulky. I'm back to a clip-on tape/knife/pencil tool holster or just a tape clipped to my watch pocket and a pencil in a pants pocket by my knee. I keep a 6" rule and squares at the saw and on a tool caddy next to the bench.

Stan Calow
10-14-2021, 1:42 PM
I like to use a military MOLLE vest as a tool belt if I'm going to be moving around a lot. Hospital scrubs for working on the lathe. I have a Lee Valley apron, but usually dont remember to put it on.

glenn bradley
10-14-2021, 1:55 PM
I like my Veritas Canvas apron (https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/apparel-and-safety-gear/aprons/70774-veritas-canvas-apron?item=67K1010).. it's side pockets are a game-changer!

I’ve tried several. The one David links to is the only one that’s stuck.

Warren Lake
10-14-2021, 2:14 PM
old guy said every work bench in Germany had a roll around beside it full of all needed. Never asked if he wore a belt back then.

Its all going to depend on work. those aprons are no good for carpentry stuff at least roof work then tool belt can be too much in a shop. My first one was simple and light and mcgivered up to have all I needed. Leaving tools at the saw is fine, fine for the saw but then you are at the mortiser, then you are at the shaper or the planer or, need a caliper and if you are not wearing it you are walking back to where ever its kept.

richard poitras
10-17-2021, 3:49 PM
The key to a good apron is its straps, wider shoulder neck straps make it comfortable to ware. The rest is just the pocket lay out and that varies with your own use.

derek labian
10-17-2021, 4:18 PM

It's fairly nice. Oddly, the pen holder is so small, I can't fit anything into it, not a pencil, etc. Perhaps its a manufacturing defect. The magnet pouch is great. The magnetic pockets are nice. The secondary pockets are one giant pocket, great for larger tools, not great for various small carpentry tools.

So, sturdy apron, but nothing is falling out, but far less storage. I don't think it will rack up sawdust that easily, so thats a plus. I'll have to use it some more..

Anuj Prateek
10-17-2021, 5:44 PM
Just curious which types of tool belts, smocks, aprons, and vests people are using while doing woodworking?

The apron I'm using has the fault that lots of things fall out when I bend over/down. Maybe there is no good solution for that.

I have never used one in the shop. I keep tools organized and most in reach so never needed one.

While doing home improvement type work, I have recently started using a belt with one bag. It's pretty helpful, specially when on ladder. Bought belt and bag from Homedepot for some 70CAD. It's made by Kunys.

Keith Outten
10-18-2021, 8:20 AM
If you search the FreeStuff Forum here there is a guy in North Carolina who makes custom smocks, aprons and just about anything you want to suit your requirements. He made me a custom carpenter apron from horse hide that I use to install signs that is awesome, built to my specifications. He also made me a cowhide turning apron and two custom leather travel clothes bags.

I have not heard from him in many years so I don't know if he is still in business. If he is retired he may still offer custom aprons to anyone here.