PDA

View Full Version : Best way to reinforce table base made with 2x4 legs?

Sean Trimm
10-11-2021, 6:01 PM
My wife needed a low table for crafts and as I'd just come into some free lumber I decided to dive in using this reclaimed wood without reading about table design. Given this oversight I'm sure you would assume some serious mistakes (learning opportunities) and you would not be wrong in doing so. However despite the nature of the design I would like to finish as is if possible rather than start over. My problem (besides lack of due diligence prior to beginning this project) is this: The legs are 2x4s angled and tapered with 1x4 aprons all joined with pocket holes. I know this is nearly the worst choice but after my initial attempts at my first mortise and tenon joints went badly I decided to forgo them and use pocket holes fully expecting to brace the corners. However due to the 2x4 legs this is proving to be a rather complicate proposition and I'm concerned about stresses, tear outs, etc. Please let me know what if anything I can do to shore up the base such that it will withstand more weight than the existing joinery.

Jamie Buxton
10-11-2021, 7:10 PM
Got any more of that 2x4? Cut some pieces 1.5x1.5x3.5 or so, with the grain direction running the 3.5 direction. Glue them vertically touching the a leg and a long apron. That reinforces that joint. If you get precise with them, you can make an unglued face fit flush with the inside edge of the leg, so you have meat so you can repeat the blocking on the short aprons. If your faces aren't exactly flat, you can use screws as well as the glue.

Jamie Buxton
10-11-2021, 7:24 PM
Here's a sketch of my suggestion. This is a view from the top of one corner of your base. The black is the existing stuff. The red is the added parts. Remember that the grain direction of the added parts is vertical.

I see that you're only a member of SMC. As such, you can't see pics -- not your own, and not mine. You must be a Contributor to see pics. It costs $6 per year, and is a bargain IMHO.

Doug Garson
10-11-2021, 8:18 PM
You could use these.https://assets.leevalley.com/Size4/10066/41853-heavy-duty-leg-braces-i-01.jpg

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/table-hardware/brackets-and-supports/41853-heavy-duty-leg-braces

Sean Trimm
10-11-2021, 9:09 PM
I'm no longer just a member, totally worth the donation. So in your recommendation I'm not blocking diagonally even after the addition of both pieces? Never would've thought of this, thank you. The closest I'd come was considering adding enough to square it out on the inside of the corner so I could then bracket and lag bolt it. I didn't believe that would be sufficient strength once I drove the lag through the newly squared corner and its inside facing joint. This would appear to stiffen both sides of the joint without additional piercing of the wood. I have more of the same wood and I think enough of it (28 in) to do this. Thank you sir!

Tom Bender
10-12-2021, 7:52 AM
The tapered legs are a nice touch, you have an eye for this stuff.

Jim Becker
10-12-2021, 9:45 AM
Corner blocks can be metal brackets like shown above or shop-made wood. Both methods will help reduce the chance of racking and provide additional stiffness.

I agree with Tom...very nice design.

John TenEyck
10-12-2021, 3:17 PM
Or something like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLWch1wMj9GxEN9nyCPHbCSwuHv_UVNuU0KzYxe0lVJWKbeKM U8Dd_wxOc3fsKPEsE8HAYMOuSwNUkXE9A57OWMcen3gyDVfctz 6RL36pS9hK9LubTUol2tjSV9otcqFZmgv5GFHLAwoISD2CRKmh Lnltw=w1006-h566-no?authuser=0

And if you want to make hassle free M&T joints build one of these: https://sites.google.com/d/1deYVS01kWg8M7TBd7AyIPWur6mYCy0bL/p/1gQooTkYQcUifSSBG4m9kQx1wLzDnt4lF/edit?pli=1&authuser=1

John

Robert L Stewart
10-12-2021, 10:23 PM
Doug has the perfect solution. Have been building tables for 40 years and they are all serviceable to this day. Would not do it any other way

Mike King
10-13-2021, 8:52 AM
With your existing joinery, I don't think those metal brackets will work. Reinforcing the corner with cut corner blocks along the lines that Jamie drew should help.

You might also consider dowelling the joints. It will be a much stronger joint than pocket screws.

Andrew Seemann
10-13-2021, 11:39 PM
This is totally unsolicited advice and not at all related to your question, but if you are doing a solid wood top (i.e. not made out of plywood), make sure you take expansion and contraction into consideration. Just do a search on "tabletop expansion and contraction" and you will get plenty of relevant results.