PDA

View Full Version : adaptive woodworking

Kevin Jenness
10-09-2021, 5:51 AM
Due to a flareup of a chronic condition I am looking at an extended period of non-weightbearing activity. After the last episode I built a carving horse so that's one option for woodworking. I am thinking about making a perch bench atop a low platform for turning. Has anyone here made/used such a thing or have other suggestions for adaptive seating? My wheelchair is too low and a knee scooter is uncomfortable for more than a short period. I am 5'6", my spindle height is 46" and most of my machinery tables are around 35" off the floor.

Jim Becker
10-09-2021, 10:17 AM
What you propose sounds like a great way to be able to enjoy turning while sitting comfortably, with the assumption you can transition from the wheel chair to the platform and bench safely.

Something else to consider for your shop is an adjustable height work surface...you can use a sit/stand base available from Amazon and others for reasonable cost and put a surface on it appropriate to detail work. Because it's electrically height adjustable, you can use it like a desk while seated and have the ability to comfortably put the detail work close and at a comfortable working height. I have multiple adjustable height work surfaces in my shop and while I don't have the physical challenge that you do, I can say with authority that having what I'm doing at the "ideal height" makes for more satisfaction and more comfort. Sometimes that's high; sometimes that's low. What those heights are for each of us varies, but having the ability to leverage it is a nice thing!

Rick Potter
10-10-2021, 3:38 AM
To piggyback on what Jim suggested about adjustable tables/benches, I recently bought the smallest adjustable work table they had at HD. It is 46"L and 24"W. It adjusts from somewhere around 26 to 38? inches high. It was $200.

If you have any benchtop sized tools such as sanders, small DP, etc. this may make them more useable for you. The table has a small hand crank to operate it, but it would be very simple to adapt it to operate using a cordless drill. There is one crossbar at floor height which can be mounted in the center, or in your case on one side, allowing wheelchair accessibility.

I am using mine for an outfeed table on three different saws, as well as additions to the workbench and another roll around table I have. All are different heights, and this table will adjust to them all.

Kevin Jenness
10-10-2021, 7:24 AM
My problem is with one foot so I don't need a wheelchair, though I have used one in the past. When I posted on the local Front Porch Forum for the loan of crutches one of the replies offered this https://iwalk-free.com/ It's going to take some getting used to and I will have to develop some unused muscles but it has promise. The lender used it extensively including for light hiking, and someone on the AAW site said he used it for turning among other things. Plus it summons up piratical images. I'm in limbo for at least a month, so I'll have plenty of time to test it out.

Jim Becker
10-10-2021, 9:14 AM
That's a pretty kewel assistive device, Kevin! I can see how that would be helpful for sure. I'll suggest you still consider adopting adjustable height surfaces because they can be beneficial long-term, even after your current challenge abates.