PDA

View Full Version : Bearing sources

Bruce King
10-07-2021, 11:46 AM
I bought some SKF bearings for an ebike motor on Amazon and found out they are counterfeit. The packaging and bearings look perfect but I submitted pictures to SKF and they said counterfeit. It seems that all reputable bearing companies don’t allow their bearings to be sold on Amazon or eBay etc. Counterfeiting is rampant. Where do you buy your bearings?

Richard Coers
10-07-2021, 12:37 PM
The local bearing supplier in my city for the good stuff. General bearings from VXB. But right now it's anyone that has them in stock.

Matt Day
10-07-2021, 1:47 PM
Accurate Bearing is my go to for most bearings especially odd and hard to source bearings. Otherwise amazon, Fastenal, eBay.

Adam Herman
10-07-2021, 1:49 PM
mcmaster-carr

I worry about eBay and amazon for stuff like this.

Brian Runau
10-07-2021, 2:51 PM
Nachi is an excellent brand.

Andrew Hughes
10-07-2021, 3:02 PM
The last bearings I bought from https://www.motionindustries.com/ we’re very good and legitimate.

Mike Kees
10-07-2021, 7:14 PM
I buy all my bearings locally. Motion Canada in Lethbridge or a small farm supply in Taber that sells NTN or Will get me SKF if I want them. I have had real good results with NTN. But sometimes will use SKF if what I am working on is more work to fix. No bearings from online sources for me.

Myk Rian
10-07-2021, 7:33 PM
When I was restoring my machinery, I called Lynne at Accurate bearing.
https://www.accuratebearing.com/

Bruce Wrenn
10-07-2021, 9:10 PM
Fastenal is my first choice. Their store is three miles from my house. If they don't have what I want in stock, usually it's there by 7:30 AM the next day

Mike Soaper
10-07-2021, 9:43 PM
I bought some SKF bearings for an ebike motor on Amazon and found out they are counterfeit.

Was this thru an Amazon seller?

I've also used Motion Industries

Bruce King
10-07-2021, 11:52 PM
Amazon seller RDV bearings. Packaging and bearings look perfect.
SKF says the counterfeits have better looking letters and numbers on the side of the bearing than the legit ones. The metal was extremely hard, can’t scratch with a razor blade. They say the worse counterfeits can be scratched.

Tony Shea
10-10-2021, 11:03 AM
Def trust Motion Industries. We have a Motion supply house local to us. My profession is maintenance for a scientific laboratory, mouse production facility with lots of spinning equipment. We use Motion for all of our bearing needs therefore I use them for my personal needs. When I can get them I use SKF brand but often resort to FAG. Both brands are highly respected and would use them interchangeably.

Alex Zeller
10-10-2021, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure if there's much you can do. Even the best sellers have been fooled. In the past the packaging would give it away but now the fake bearings have the same holographic logos on them. My best advice is to buy a brand that's high quality but not a large company like SKF. I would think that a Chinese company isn't going to spend the time needed to counterfeit a brand that sells in small quantities.

Malcolm McLeod
10-10-2021, 12:26 PM
The last bearings I bought from https://www.motionindustries.com/ we’re very good and legitimate.

^another +1. Or, try Bearings Inc.

Matt Day
10-10-2021, 1:46 PM
When I was restoring my machinery, I called Lynne at Accurate bearing.
https://www.accuratebearing.com/

Myk, just a heads up but Lynn retired about a year ago. I believe Jennifer took over the OWWM group.

Myk Rian
10-10-2021, 9:23 PM
Lynne had been there a long time. Good for her.

David Buchhauser
10-11-2021, 7:26 AM
I bought some SKF bearings for an ebike motor on Amazon and found out they are counterfeit. The packaging and bearings look perfect but I submitted pictures to SKF and they said counterfeit. It seems that all reputable bearing companies don’t allow their bearings to be sold on Amazon or eBay etc. Counterfeiting is rampant. Where do you buy your bearings?

I purchase most of my bearings at McMaster-Carr.
David

Bill Winter
10-11-2021, 8:25 AM
A & W Bearings in Garland, TX 972 494-2536