PDA

View Full Version : Should I..............? (HELP...!!)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-14-2006, 2:21 AM
OK, I've been looking at getting a lathe for a while, I have this little drill powered one, and it sucks:rolleyes:

Now I'd love to get a big honken lathe, but they are EXPENSIVE, so I'm looking at something else....

http://img225.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/1/0/6/4/a02180809-img594x600-1136650377senban1.jpg

http://img225.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/1/0/6/4/a02180809-img600x252-1136650397senban2.jpg

I don't know much about it, but it looks to be fairly lightweight.

I don't even know if it can take a chuck...?

There are 4 speeds, via v-belts, 1/2 hp, 82 cm (32") between centers....

On Auction for $180

Just to give you an idea, price wise, this lathe......

http://nais.maxs.jp/tkxdoc/goods_img/g8691.jpg
This lathe (looks like a Grizzly G8691) which costs, or used to cost, less than $200 in the US, it is $380 here.

If the top lathe does have a spindle, with a #2 taper, should I get it...?

Cheers!

PS 8 hours left on the auction.....:D

Frank Chaffee
01-14-2006, 3:07 AM
Stu,
Before you ever responded to the post in which I tried my best to dissuade you from entering the spinny path, I knew my case was hopelessly lost. Already at that time I was wondering how you were going to get your lathe to the roof of your building. There is no more room in the dungeon, right?

The lathe you show us here could be as easily moved to your rooftop in the elevator as the fan and materials for your dryer. Now I ask you, what fun would that be?

Can you not find a lathe of sufficient size and weight that it would require a Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan-built counterbalanced crane to raise it from street level to your roof?

Just wondering, mind you,
Frank

01-14-2006, 3:25 AM
Well I found this one on auction.........

http://img211.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/6/7/5/2/umekawa1505-img600x450-1134781297pc130012.jpg

http://img211.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/6/7/5/2/umekawa1505-img600x450-1134781304pc130009.jpg

http://img211.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/6/7/5/2/umekawa1505-img600x450-1134781309pc130011.jpg

3 phase motor 250 Kg :eek: (550 lbs) but they want a lot for it.

Started out at 228,000 yen and then went down to 208,000 yen, not it is 188,000 yen (about 110 yen to the US dollar) but this is way too rich for my blood!!

I have a spot picked out for the lathe, it will take some re-organizing, but hey, it would be worth it!!

Cheers!

Jesse Merino
01-14-2006, 6:15 AM
Stu, I got a "truck sale" lathe, that looks similar to yours...ITS JUNK!

You cant turn big stuff on it, its way too fast, and so light, that anything that is unbalanced makes that thing travel so far, that you have to chase it for a mile and drag it back! Its a PAIN!

My next lathe, (and there will be a next!), will be made of cast iron or some very heavy material, because the high speed is dangerous, and the lathe is so light that I hate that thing with a 4 inch log on it, that is the least unbalanced it will vibrate itself to death... (I had to put clamps to hold the thing down to the table, so it woudnt "walk" and it still vibrated like it was shaking itself to death!)...

Hold out and get the better one... (learn from experience)... I dont know why, but the picture doesnt come up for me, and I tried to upload it a few times... sheesh! Tried it one more time to see if it would...Jesse

Oh, I will include a pic of mine to show you what it looks like, with a small 12 inch by 4 inch log on it.. that I turned down...Jesse

01-14-2006, 6:25 AM
Thanks Jesse, I think I will give it a pass.

Cheers!

Gary Max
01-14-2006, 6:33 AM
Money well saved----I really like the second lathe

Glenn Hodges
01-14-2006, 6:36 AM
I would suggest that if money is a concern I would say for you to get a Jet Mini lathe or one similar. You can turn small bowls at a fairly safe speed, do spindle turnings which will enable you to do pens, and lots of other fun projects. The Jet Mini will not be much more than the one you were looking at on auction and it is of much better quality, and much safer to work with.

01-14-2006, 6:50 AM
Well the "Jet" mini is $500.... :eek:

and the Mini Variable is $670.. :eek: :eek:

Cheers!

Bob Noles
01-14-2006, 7:02 AM
Stu,

Have you looked at the PSI Turncrafter Pro? It is only $169 on Amazon and shipping is free. It is the one I have and is a twin to the Jet except the color :eek:

Watching you get into turning should be verrrrrrry interesting :D :D :p

01-14-2006, 7:14 AM
Stu,

Have you looked at the PSI Turncrafter Pro? It is only $169 on Amazon and shipping is free. It is the one I have and is a twin to the Jet except the color :eek:

Watching you get into turning should be verrrrrrry interesting :D :D :p

Not trying to be a jerk or anything here Bob, so don't take this the wrong way, but.......

"Stu....in TOKYO JAPAN....."

Amazon don't ship outside of the US.

Cheers!

Bob Noles
01-14-2006, 7:31 AM
Stu,

Hey.... I just got out of bed and my brain is not keeping up with my fingers yet :p

Why not use your celebrity status and talk to Amazon..... they might make an exception ;)

Seroiusly Stu.... you might look into the PSI model if you can find a source that could work with your area.

Carole Valentine
01-14-2006, 8:55 AM
Well the "Jet" mini is $500.... :eek:

and the Mini Variable is $670.. :eek: :eek:

Cheers!

Huh??? I got mine a year ago for $249. Where are you looking?

01-14-2006, 9:11 AM
Here (http://nais.maxs.jp/cgi-bin/shop/goods_list.cgi?CategoryID=000006)

In Japan.;)

This stuff is REALLY expensive over here, the Japanese just seem to take it on the chin and not worry about it.

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
01-14-2006, 9:35 AM
Stu - It's my understanding from looking at Andi Wolfe's blog (http://andiwolfe.blogspot.com/2005_11_01_andiwolfe_archive.html) that traditional Japanese woodturning involves the use of a headstock but no bed. Perhaps you could pursue that approach?

01-14-2006, 9:53 AM
Thanks Andy.

I know the Japanese do it differently that we do in the west, but I've not yet found a group that I could go bug and learn from.....

Cheers!

Ron Ainge
01-14-2006, 10:01 AM
how is the shipping cost to Japan??? you could have someone buy the lathe you want here and send it to you if the shipping is not toooooo speep.

Michael Cody
01-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Stu -- you build everything else, why not a lathe. It's not hard, a couple of pillow blocks, a shaft, little steel & some welding -- viola you have a lathe. I bet you could find the stuff you need locally .. might even find it scrap at a construction site or even build it out of wood. Lathe's aren't a complicated piece of equipment.. Look at the jet mini -- you could build it out of scraps, old treadmill motor for power (or old washing machine motor), little welding -- no problem. Think of the great pictorial you could put up?? Vaughn could even set it to music!

Tony Sizemore
01-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey Stu
I didn't have that exact lathe but I had a very similar one form Harbor Freight (14 X40 HF). I was not very happy with it. The head stock (where the motor is would move when I tried to run the tail stock in and hold the blank, and bed flexed all over the place. I tried everything to get it to work and couldn't. I treaded it in on a Harbor freight lathe with a cast iron bed... work like a champ. I think that is the fist thing you should look at in MHO. If it has a cast iron bed, the look at how slow it will go.
The lathe you found in the auction looked pretty good to but I didn't look at all the spic's. Good luck overt there.

01-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Ron, shipping would be a killer, so forget that idea...

Michael, yeah I've thought about that for some time, I may end up going that route for sure.

Tony, thanks for the info, makes me glad I did not go for it!

Cheers!

Tony Sizemore
01-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Hey Micheal is right... If you have the time and tools make one yourself. I know that sounds kinda off but you will be surprised how nice you can do.
I just got finished with a surface sander and its great. I save about $1500 by making it may self. You can pick up all the stuff you need on line. I think I will try to make my next lathe.

James Aguanno
01-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Stu,

I have been contemplating building my own lathe for quite a long time, and will probably give it a try. I did a little drawing with sketch up and this is where I am.

I used all common building materials (square tube, "H" channel, angle iron). I got specs for common pillow block bearings and tried to keep the design very simple. The most complicated part will be the shaft. I think it is a good idea to maintain a standard thread size for various chucks and attachments. I am also thinking of having it bored through and a #2 morse taper on the inboard side (this design does not allow for outboard turning, the drive pully would be there). It would also be a dedicated bowl lathe (at least until I can come up with a decent tailstock idea).

jamie

01-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I have no doubt that I can build one myself, a few items bought and some made, and I could do it, but, I'm always stuck for time, and in this case, I'd love to just spend the money and have a decent unit and start turning.....:D

I'd be willing to bet that in the end, I'll build one.

Cheers!