PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Stools - Design Ideas

Ashwini Kaul
10-05-2021, 2:32 PM
Looking to build some counter-top stools for our outdoor kitchen.
Have made Adirondack chairs in the past.
Same wood considerations I guess.
But any specific design ideas/cautionary details.... are most welcome.
I guess through tenons are out?
I guess seat shape will need a slant and no depression for the butt cheeks?
What else?

Richard Coers
10-05-2021, 4:09 PM
Some way to keep the legs from soaking up water into the end grain. The idea I like the best is to cast a 3/8" cap of epoxy on the ends of the legs.

Jamie Buxton
10-05-2021, 5:50 PM
If you’d like a butt depression, you can lift the approach of your Adirondack chairs: make the seat from slats, so water can fall through. Of course, you’ll need something to hold the slats together. Maybe rails at the ends of the slats. Or maybe a crosswise layer of slats underneath the top layer.

Howard Rosenberg
10-05-2021, 7:22 PM
Richard Coers had a good point.

I always -
- chamfer the ends of legs etc so they be dragged around without splintering
- epoxy up unto the height of the chamfer on outdoor projects to eliminate rot

Doug Garson
10-05-2021, 9:50 PM
If you’d like a butt depression, you can lift the approach of your Adirondack chairs: make the seat from slats, so water can fall through. Of course, you’ll need something to hold the slats together. Maybe rails at the ends of the slats. Or maybe a crosswise layer of slats underneath the top layer.
Or drill a drainage hole at the lowest point if the butt depression. I would drill it oversize, fill with epoxy and drill to correct size so the bore of the hole is sealed with epoxy.

Mike King
10-05-2021, 10:03 PM
metal?

:confused:

Doug Garson
10-05-2021, 10:15 PM
metal?

:confused:
No I prefer Rock and Roll. :D

Jamie Buxton
10-06-2021, 12:16 AM
Or drill a drainage hole at the lowest point if the butt depression. I would drill it oversize, fill with epoxy and drill to correct size so the bore of the hole is sealed with epoxy.

I like it. Or maybe a sink drain.

Tom Bender
10-09-2021, 8:16 AM
Rubber feet from Mcmaster Carr. These will not slide around, making the stools safer. As a bonus they will make them quieter and nicer to move on a hard surface.

Buy a variety of sizes, use them all the time.