PDA

View Full Version : Venting in a Shelter Logic 12 x 20

Warren Lake
10-05-2021, 12:25 AM
anyone done any type of venting in a Shelter logic. The farmer near me told me when she had her sports car in the portable shed and it was zipped up the car was often wet. When she left one side rolled up all the time it was fine. The first one ive set up has the east side open and has for years and no condensation ever. Set up a second and thinking this one I might want to drop the entry side roll up door down. normally id think they get enough air at the bottom the back and front are always short to the ground and in this case im up on 4 x 4 for my base for the frame but I also ran plastic under it all and around the outside 4 x 4's so that normal bottom venting will be gone, same at the back the plastic goes up there or part of it about five feet.

I guess cutting into the cover in anyway is not ideal. I know they dont last long and some put sacrificial Tarps over top and change them out, protecting the original from UV. this one also faces east a bit more south east with the opening door. Most of the action comes from the other side.

Jim Becker
10-05-2021, 8:36 AM
I literally put up a 10x10 Shelterlogic storage tent this past weekend. I would say that in some respects, it's "naturally vented" at least at the bottoms of the end panels which do not drop as low as the sides do as you mention. But consider that condensation comes from a temperature difference relative to the dew point. That can be on the cover, but can also be on the contents, such as a vehicle. So local weather matters.

Kev Williams
10-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Problem with these shelters is, if was quite warm and humid 12 hours ago and the temp has dropped 20 degrees since then, condensation will likely collect on the walls. I live where humidity hardly ever gets above 30% during warm months so it's not much of an issue.

For venting, you might look into solar powered vents made for boats-?

FWIW, I recently replaced my 2nd Shelter Logic 10x10 canvas with the 5-year better stuff, it was worth it...

Warren Lake
10-05-2021, 1:13 PM
the one with one side up all ways facing east works perfectly there is no condensation issues with that one ever. This one different story as its blocked off at the bottom on both sides and the back. Door has been down a few days so far and no condensation inside but will watch it. I know they dont last forever the first one is blocked by cedar trees and one large maple so protected from the sun then there is a ash that died last year and its waiting to drop branches and puncture it. Have to take care of that.