PDA

View Full Version : Kaleidoscopes

Dave Smith
01-14-2006, 12:38 AM
I finally got some pictures of my recent work if the last month qualifies as recent. These oil wand kaleidoscopes are a favorite of the grand children. The kids can easily use them and they haven't broke one yet. They have dropped, thrown, hit the wall, and hit each other with no major damage to the scopes.

Left to right: Dog wood; Driftwood cypress; 2 Black walnut; Bambi's boy friend's head adornment.
Thanks for looking

Dave Smith

Computer behaving for now in Longview, WA.

Frank Chaffee
01-14-2006, 1:12 AM
Dave,
Each of those five creations is very inviting, but will you please explain what means “oil wand kaleidoscopes”, so I can visualize how they work?

Nice work,
Frank

Dave Smith
01-14-2006, 1:57 AM
Hi Frank,

The plastic tube has particles suspended in oil thus the name oil wand. The viewer looks through the eye piece which is up in the picture. The plastic wand is held vertical with the colored portion on top. The particles fall through the field of view to produce the kaleidoscope effect. When all the colored oil and particles have fallen to the bottom the scope is rotated 180 degrees to begin the process again. Since there is no twisting required it is easier for the wee ones focus on the show. It doesn't take very long for a 2 year old to master the process and with no batteries required it last a long time.

Dave Smith

Grand kids are number one in Longview, WA.

Dick Parr
01-14-2006, 2:04 AM
Those look great Dave, I bet the kids do love them. Great job.

Frank Chaffee
01-14-2006, 2:42 AM
Dave,
That looks like more fun than the Christmas snowman in the sphere I had when I was a kid.

Again, good work,
Frank

Keith Burns
01-14-2006, 9:10 AM
Those are great pieces Dave. I've been thinking about making one fo awhile. Now you've convinced me to give it a go.:) :)

Michael Stafford
01-14-2006, 9:13 AM
Dave it looks like you are having too much fun. I bet the kids have to tear them from your hands. Nice looking turning toys and fun to turn I bet.:D

Jim Dunn
01-14-2006, 9:18 AM
Dave nice pieces! Where do you get the hardware for these?

Jim

Ernie Nyvall
01-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Cool Dave. I like the antler one.

Ernie

John Hart
01-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Great work Dave...and wonderful gifts!:)

Dave Smith
01-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Jim,

Craft Supply USA(woodturnerscatalog.com) is where I got the kits. They are available form most wood working stores and catalogs.

Assembling the mirrors is a big PITA for me. As well as putting the lens retaining snap ring in place. Other than that they aren't too bad of a project. Besides having to buy a big, odd sized drill you will need to add an other bushinh set to your collection.

Dave Smith

Nothing is as easy as it seems in Longview, WA.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Good lookin', All!

Bruce

Jeremiah Jordan
01-15-2006, 9:10 AM
Very nice Dave. I really like how you left the antler peice. Keep up the good work!

Jeremiah