PDA

View Full Version : Building Roubo workbench, you can only have one…Jointer or planer ?

jeff vanek
10-02-2021, 6:25 PM
Looking to build a Roubo, if you could only have one of these power tools (besides a table saw)
what would it be, a jointer or Planer?

Christopher Charles
10-02-2021, 6:28 PM
Planer for sure. I built mine with a 6”jointer and lunchbox planer. The jointer was handy but the planer was indispensable.

Rich Engelhardt
10-02-2021, 6:37 PM
Hands down the planer.

Jim Becker
10-02-2021, 7:57 PM
Planer because you need a planer if you add a jointer. The latter only flattens and straightens. It does not thickness.

Scott Winners
10-02-2021, 8:03 PM
Planer. Jointing the edges of 2x4 stock isn't so bad with a Bailey number 4, a breeze with a number 6 and an opportunity for joy with a #8.

Tom Trees
10-02-2021, 8:08 PM
I think you have your answer, just incase you don't like the sound of that...
A good bandsaw if you don't have an extractor for the thickness planer, as the Roubo is a hand planers bench.
That's what I would want anyways :)

Good luck with the bench build
Tom

Jacob Mac
10-02-2021, 9:15 PM
Depending on the boards, you might be able to get away with simple skip planing.

If not, a planer sled will definitely get you there.

Planer all day

Richard Coers
10-02-2021, 10:19 PM
Planer. Jointing the edges of 2x4 stock isn't so bad with a Bailey number 4, a breeze with a number 6 and an opportunity for joy with a #8.
I thought Roubo benches were made of much heavier stock than 2x4.

Richard Coers
10-02-2021, 10:21 PM
In my opinion, there is no option of only one. If you intend to be a serious woodworker, you need both for real truing of stock. But, I was trained old school. You know, before there were people telling me to subscribe so I can see some furniture made of torched 2x4s.

Scott Winners
10-03-2021, 12:25 AM
In my opinion, there is no option of only one. If you intend to be a serious woodworker, you need both for real truing of stock.

And a dust collector. I got the DC first knowing the planer was coming, but when my own first board came out of my new planer, I knew. The cutterhead was still spinning down in the planer and I was trying to figure out how to shoe horn a jointer in.

Tom Bender
10-06-2021, 6:11 PM
In my opinion, there is no option of only one. If you intend to be a serious woodworker, you need both for real truing of stock. But, I was trained old school. You know, before there were people telling me to subscribe so I can see some furniture made of torched 2x4s.

Um,,,there were serious woodworkers before jointers.

Wojciech Tryc
10-06-2021, 8:54 PM
Um,,,there were serious woodworkers before jointers.
Haha, I love your reply