PDA

View Full Version : Festool MFT clamps

Dan Gaylin
10-02-2021, 11:08 AM
These clamps look like exactly what I need for a jig I am making. My question is whether they can be used with standard dog holes or what size hole they need?

I do not have the Festool MFT table and for my purposes I don’t need it assuming I can get these clamps to work with a self made table or with something like the Veritas medium work surface.

Thanks for your help.

-dan

Jim Becker
10-02-2021, 8:01 PM
I assume you mean the F-style clamps that slip through the holes in the worksurface. If so, yes, you should be able to get them through another alternative surface but they are not usable with a thick surface. nothing greater than 25mm, but closer to the MFT's standard top thickness of about 19mm or so (3/4" MDF or similar) is best. The reason that the thickness matters is that you have to be able to insert the toe of the clamp through the hole and then rotate it 90º or so to "vertical". It can't make the bend in thick material though a typical dog hole (20mm or 3/4")

Greg Quenneville
10-03-2021, 1:39 AM
And by the way, Amazon has the Bessey branded version of the same clamp for less than the Festool price

Dan Gaylin
10-03-2021, 9:23 AM
Thank you both, very helpful! I was indeed wondering how the clamps fit through the table. Do you know if the Bessey clamps will also thread through the dog hole as long as the surface isn’t too thick?

Thanks,

-dan

Jim Becker
10-03-2021, 9:26 AM
And by the way, Amazon has the Bessey branded version of the same clamp for less than the Festool price

That's good to know. I find these clamps to be handy for a number of situations where "close quarters" are involved above and beyond bench use.

ChrisA Edwards
10-03-2021, 11:24 AM
I have the Festool and MicroJig clamps that will both go through a 20mm dog hole in a 3/4" board.

I like the MicroJig MatchFit as they have a dovetail profile which makes them great for making stop blocks and attaching them for other purposes.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51GCXUSajxL._AC_.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51xoI1mB9aL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Jim Dwight
10-03-2021, 7:50 PM
I have a couple Grizzly track saw clamps that also work fine in my MFT style work surface. They won't clamp real thick material but otherwise work well.

Jim Becker
10-04-2021, 9:19 AM
I see that the Bessy branded version comes in two sizes and the larger one may be a good option for thicker materials...it's something like ~6" depth rather than ~4".

Dave Sabo
10-04-2021, 12:03 PM
Do the fesTool / Bessey clamps fit the micro jig slot too ?

Jim Becker
10-04-2021, 12:36 PM
I'd have to go out to the shop to look and know for sure, but I don't believe they have the "dovetail" profile, Dave. I'm pretty sure they are designed to fit and slide in the tee slot under the guide rails as well as in the guide rails--in addition to the holes on the MFT for clamping "out in the field". I'll guess that the MicroClamp version you mention may work in the other direction, however, if the width and depth of the tongue is the same.

Greg Quenneville
10-05-2021, 12:10 AM
I bought the long Festool clamps before I discovered the Bessey on Amazon. Previously I purchased a pair of Makita clamps from a clearance table. The Makita clamps are just ok, but nothing like the Festool or Bessey (Bessey makes the Festool version, I am told)
All of them fit through a 20mm hole, but the Makita version is slightly fatter and slightly reluctant to make the turn as easily as the others.

Tom Bain
10-09-2021, 8:08 PM

No, I tried this. Unfortunately, the festool clamps don’t fit the micro jig slot and the micro jig clamps don’t fit the festool tracks.

Jim Becker
10-10-2021, 9:25 AM
Thanks for that information, Tom. I'm sure it will be helpful to folks!