PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed with computer virus, please.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-13-2006, 5:10 PM
Hi All, I just acquired a "virus" that says, " Your computer is infected, dangerous infection was detected on you Pc. The system will download and install most effecient antimalwar program to prevent data loss and your private information theft."

I feel this is blackmail as it won't let me use my computer unless I buy their software. It won't let me log onto Yahoo for example. I don't know how I got it but I hope to get rid of it soon. Any ideas to get rid of this is very much appreciated. Thanks. Alan

Vaughn McMillan
01-13-2006, 5:32 PM
My only suggestions are to make sure they're up to date, then run your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. (I'm assuming you have both.) This may or may not help...a friend of mine got something similar a while back (clicking on stuff he shouldn't have been clicking), and whatever bug(s) he caught disabled his anti-virus. He decided the fastest way to fix the system was to totally wipe the hard drive and start all over. He had virtually nothing of importance stored on his disk, so it's not too big of deal for him. If you have good backups of your important stuff, starting with a freshly-formatted disk is the most certain way of get rid of the bad stuff.

And I agree, I hope there's a special place in Hades for scum who infect a computer, then have the nerve to try to sell you a fix for the problem. (Which is likely not a fix anyway, but additional nasty stuff they'd like you to install on your system for their use.)

Good luck Alan -

- Vaughn

Chris Giles
01-13-2006, 5:34 PM
Does it say Spyaxe on it? If so, I had the same one. It is blackmail, and it is illegal and spyware. I rectified the situation by having my hard drive wiped clean except for my photos. I guess this is the world we now live in.:(

Marcus Ward
01-13-2006, 5:36 PM
Go to microsoft's site and download their antispyware program. It should get rid of it.

Bob Johnson2
01-13-2006, 5:37 PM
I could be mistaken, but I'd bet it's just advertising, something like phishing. I see similiar popups once in awhile and ignore them.

tod evans
01-13-2006, 5:48 PM
kaspersky.com

Bob Tate
01-13-2006, 5:56 PM
I would be willing to bet it is one of the variants of Adware.Generic.xxx (xxx being one of the variants, there are hundreds).
many of my workplace computers have been infected lately. Run the PC Cillin Housecall (from their web site), then the Free Personal version of Spybot, then the Free Personal version of AdAware. It took all three, in that order to kill them all. It worked for me.

John Harden
01-13-2006, 6:13 PM
Probably the most effective thing you can do is to purchase and install Norton Internet Security. Go buy the actual disk package at a Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. Set it to run and get site updates nightly. Also install all new patches from Microsoft as appropriate.

One final thing would be to set up an adminstrator account on your home PC for installation and maintenance of hardware and software, then set up "non-privileged" user accounts for all other family members.

Good luck.

Regards,

John

Mike Henderson
01-13-2006, 6:57 PM
Go to the Microsoft site and search on "spyware". They have a free program that does a good job of detecting and removing spyware. It is not a virus detection and removal program but it does a very good job on spyware.

Even if what you have is not spyware, it's good to have that spyware program on your computer.

Good luck!

Mike

Charlie Mastro
01-13-2006, 7:43 PM
It's spyware and no microsoft anti-spyware won't fix it. You can clean your clock as someone suggested, I did that one and it fixed it but I had to erase everything.

Go to infopackets.com and they have a way to do it involving using 3 free programs you can download. Worked for me.

Chuck

Tom Donalek
01-13-2006, 8:35 PM
I knid of hate to say this, but once you get this straightened out, please consider using an operating system other than Windows. None of us would even think of buying or using a wood working tool that is as badly made and poorly performing as Windows. Even Harbor Freight wouldn't carry Windows if it was a tool. :)

Marcus Ward
01-13-2006, 8:52 PM
Yeah, don't you know how much fun it is to update module dependencies just to get some dorky piece of software to work?? :rolleyes:

Jeff Davis
01-13-2006, 8:59 PM
I agree with Bob Johnson2....... It's probably just popups disguised as a virus. I get these all of the time....... Just X out of it. If you don't have some anti virus/spyware software on your computer -- get some. It could save you a tremendous headache and prevent the loss of some valuable files..............

have a good one

jad

Tom Donalek
01-13-2006, 9:05 PM
Yeah, don't you know how much fun it is to update module dependencies just to get some dorky piece of software to work?? :rolleyes:
yeah, but there are no pop-ups when you're web-browsing in Lynx! Snork! Chortle! :D (OK, way, way off topic! Sorry!)

But to try to be helpful: If this thing is 'tying up' your computer, have you tried holding down the "Alt" button, then hitting the "Tab" button to switch to other programs?

Also, once you get this cleaned up, you might want to try the Firefox browser as a replacement for Microsoft's Internet Explorer. Part of how a lot of the malicious thingies work is by exploiting the behind-the-scenes connections between various Microsoft programs and Windows itself. A few of those hidden connections let programs do actual useful stuff, but a lot of them are just 'unlocked doors' that the bad guys have learned to exploit. Firefox is free and was written by computer geeks from around the world who wanted to make a 'better mousetrap' for viewing the WWW. Check out:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Personally, I feel a lot better about connecting with my credit card company or bank with Firefox than with Internet Explorer when I'm using a Windows computer.

Allen Bookout
01-13-2006, 9:07 PM
I knid of hate to say this, but once you get this straightened out, please consider using an operating system other than Windows. None of us would even think of buying or using a wood working tool that is as badly made and poorly performing as Windows. Even Harbor Freight wouldn't carry Windows if it was a tool. :)
I could not have said it better. Check out Mandriva. You will love it and you will never have to worry about such things again.

I never go on line with a windows operating system.

Good Luck! Allen

Mac McAtee
01-13-2006, 9:08 PM
You also, after the anti-virus stuff recommended, would do well to do a search for "Crap Cleaner". Download it and run it, you will be amazed at how much crap is on your computer even after running Spybot, Adaware and what ever anti-virus program you have. Crap Cleaner is free and works wonders in ferreting out crap stuck in all kinds of unusual places.

Gary Groves
01-13-2006, 9:15 PM
In addition, try getting avast anti virus software, it scans, internet, peer to peer, im, and e-mail. Best of all, it's FREE. The 'geeks' at my work love it.

Randy Looney
01-13-2006, 9:38 PM
Hi All, I just acquired a "virus" that says, " Your computer is infected, dangerous infection was detected on you Pc. The system will download and install most effecient antimalwar program to prevent data loss and your private information theft."

I feel this is blackmail as it won't let me use my computer unless I buy their software. It won't let me log onto Yahoo for example. I don't know how I got it but I hope to get rid of it soon. Any ideas to get rid of this is very much appreciated. Thanks. Alan

Hello Alan, If you have not got your computer cleaned yet go to Subratam.Org in their Hijackthis and Spyware forum here http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7 , you will have to register, follow their instructions and they will be glad to help you. But the final choice will have to be yours.

Allen Bookout
01-13-2006, 9:43 PM
Another good free antivirus program is AVG.

Dave Falkenstein
01-13-2006, 9:50 PM

Is this post above supposed to be helpful in some way? If so, it is cleverly disguised. Face it, most of the world runs on Windows, and anti-Windows rants like yours are useless. If you have a recommendation, make it. Thanks.

Alan Tolchinsky
01-13-2006, 9:53 PM
I'm trying out many of your suggestions and I'll let you know how I make out. At this point I don't have an anti virus program on this computer. This thing is such that it constantly pops up and interferes with yahoo the most as I said. The warning balloon and pop up sound are there constantly. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. ALAN

CPeter James
01-13-2006, 9:56 PM
One of the best antivirus programs is also one of the best kept secrets out there. Check out"NOD32" from ESET.

www.eset.com

I ran Norton for many years and finally switched to this last year. This has the highest rating of any antivirus. When I switched from Norton, I had just don a update on Norton and run a full system scan. NOD32 foud 45 virus infectied files that Norton had missed. This is typical. I get updates 2 or 3 times a DAY not per week as with others. Check it out.

BTW, read what the guy from Colby
Sawyer College has to say.
CPeter

Rob Millard
01-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I have this problem from time to time, and most of the time by going to the system restore feature on Windows XP, I'm able to fix it. I once got a virus in an email that was marked as being from Horton Brasses, but was not. I caused all sorts of trouble, and in the end, I lost many things stored on the computer. What hurt the most was the many furniture photos I had on the computer. That taught me a lesson, and now I store nothing of value on the computer.
Road Runner has free anti virus software for its users, and it has been worth every penny I paid for it (detect any sarcasm?).
Rob Millard

Alan Tolchinsky
01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
you. I tRied at least 6 different programs and "Spy Sweeper" got the job done. It found a lot of stuff and has a free trial period. Man am I glad that's over for now.

I guess it pays to have a good anti virus program as well as good spy ware detectors. Sometimes it can be cold in cyberspace. A BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED.

Allen Bookout
01-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Is this post above supposed to be helpful in some way? If so, it is cleverly disguised. Face it, most of the world runs on Windows, and anti-Windows rants like yours are useless. If you have a recommendation, make it. Thanks.
I think that Tom made his helpful suggestion. He suggested that when the problem is cleared up consider an operating system that is not vulnerable to outside attack. I agree with that. No more anti virus programs to mess with, no more security issues, and no more worring about loss of important data.

You stated that most of the world runs on Windows. It would be correct to say that most of the private users in the United States runs on Windows which is evidently where you are drawing your statistics from. You might be shocked at what the rest of the world runs on, especially the secure world (including the United States).

Alan, Congratulation on your success!!!

Sincerely, Allen Bookout

Marcus Ward
01-14-2006, 1:00 AM
I think that Tom made his helpful suggestion. He suggested that when the problem is cleared up consider an operating system that is not vulnerable to outside attack. I agree with that. No more anti virus programs to mess with, no more security issues, and no more worring about loss of important data.

At the risk of getting waaaaaaaaay off topic. Linux, bsd, unix, all flavors, are very vulnerable to outside attack and hacking - security issues. Especially if you don't stay up to date with bugfixes. Just because you haven't been r00ted doesn't mean it can't happen, and to claim everything, or ANYTHING, besides windows is invulernable is disingenuous and downright wrong.

Allen Bookout
01-14-2006, 1:05 AM
Marcus, You are not up to date. What Linux or system are you running? Have you looked at the virus attack statistics? I don't think so. Without the password nothing can be installed in the operating system itself. May be the users portion only in a very very extreme case. Allen

Frank Hagan
01-14-2006, 3:37 AM
Here's my advice (free, and worth every penny).

Use at least three TYPES of tools to protect yourself on-line, a firewall, spyware protection and anti virus. Not using one of the three leaves you wide open for attack!

1. A firewall
If you use a dial up or DSL connection, use either the Windows Firewall built into Windows XP SP2, or download the free Zone Alarm firewall (have to search a bit for it on their site; they also sell a "Security Suite", but the "free for personal use" firewall is still there.

For faster "always on" broadband connections, consider buying a wireless router such as a Linksys WT54G series, that incorporates a "hardware firewall". The reason that Linux servers on the Internet rarely get successfully attacked is that the attacks are stopped at the firewall. Its not the operating system that is so secure, its the fact that there's several hundred dollars of equipment sitting there guarding it.

A good firewall will prevent programs from accessing the Internet without your knowledge, and prevent hackers (human and bots) from accessing your system while you are connected to the Internet.

2. Spyware protection
Microsoft's implementation of Giant Software's anti-spyware program is pretty good. Its free, and it catches things the others don't. Google for "Microsoft AntiSpyware" and install it. Then, go to http://www.lavasoft.de and get the free version of Ad-Aware. Install it. Then get the wonderful "Spy Bot Search and Destroy" from http://www.safer-networking.org/ and install it. Run each of these at least once a week.

3. Anti Virus protection
Norton and McAfee anti virus have historically been the most effective, according to some of the "experts". I like Norton AntiVirus, but don't like the full "Internet Security Suite". Like the premium stereo components of old, I think the individual applications work the best. Whatever you choose, make sure it regularly updates itself for the most recent virus definitions. Keep it active in the background and do a full scan weekly.

tod evans
01-14-2006, 8:29 AM
am i the only one using kaspersky with windows? i`m a computer idiot so if i`m making a big mistake please tell me......tod

Marcus Ward
01-14-2006, 9:02 AM
Marcus, You are not up to date. What Linux or system are you running? Have you looked at the virus attack statistics? I don't think so. Without the password nothing can be installed in the operating system itself. May be the users portion only in a very very extreme case. Allen

Allen, you are trying to keep the ants out of your house and letting the foxes in. It's not viruses that are a problem with Linux, it's hackers who can gain root access through a variety of exploits. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then consider yourself not up to date and should begin educating yourself. Ever heard of bugtraq? Maybe you ought to do some reading. Don't make presumptions about what I know about linux either. You apparently know so little about the OS that you don't even know what I'm talking about. Good day.

Frank Hagan
01-14-2006, 3:36 PM
am i the only one using kaspersky with windows? i`m a computer idiot so if i`m making a big mistake please tell me......tod

I've heard good things about Kaspersky. Its always rated very high by the computer reviewers, so if its working for you and you're comfortable with it, then there's no argument.

It is a virus checker, so you still need to have a firewall and anti-spyware. No one application does it all. If you are running Windows XP, Service Pack 2, then look in Start * Control Panel and double click the Windows Firewall icon, and make sure it is "on". If you don't have Windows XP SP2, then I would recommend downloading and installing the free firewall from ZoneLabs.com, Zone Alarm.

For anti-spyware, get Microsoft Antispyware Beta (free), and Ad-Aware from LavaSoft.de. There are some others out there too, like Spybot Search and Destroy, that are good.