PDA

View Full Version : Basement Workshop start up

john mclane
01-13-2006, 3:33 PM
Moved into this 150 yr old house about 4 years ago. I've finished some house refinishing and now can get working on my workshop until the next large project ((panel wainscoting in the dining room??). It is an old stone cellar, somewhat damp but can be controlled with dehumidifiers. I have had water on the floor in small areas during a wet spring storm with a thaw. So I have to keep everything off the floor and keep everything waxed or oiled. It is only 7.5 ft tall. The main area in the photgraphs is about 15X18 ft but I have a adjacent room about 12 ft wide I could also use (assembly and finshing area?) and other areas for wood storage.

I have an old assembly table at one end of the main room. I have a table saw with a router table extension, small drill press, mortiser, miter saw and the start of a good collection of hand tools and miscellaneous power tools. I'm planning on adding a band saw and a dust collection system this year. I'm going to start this month on a workbench.
On the walls I'll add peg boards and some closed and open cabinets.

I am worried overall about the moisture level and the basement but have been able to keep the table saw (and other tools that I use) that have been down there already for 4 years clear of any oxidation.

What advise can I get for this smaller area and with my plans? I just started using visio to try to plan out the layment of the tools and pipes for the dust collection system.

Bill Webber
01-13-2006, 3:59 PM
Well, my biggest concern with your environment would be the moisture. I gave up on garage workshops years ago and my in-house workshop is more climate controlled than the rest of the house. But, you asked for help with your problems...:)

I believe stone walls are nearly impossible to seal, if my neighbors experiences are anywhere near normal. What I would try with your situation is cut in a sump pump hole at the lowest part of the floor. I'd cut a drain channel around the perimeter of the shop rooms in the concrete floor (I'm assuming it is concrete). I'd then frame up my work rooms inside those drains, say 4 inches off the existing stone walls. I'd insulate and mosture seal those new walls as best I could and then I could climate control those areas without too much difficulty. Some kind of floor sealing treatment would be in order. Paint or solid rubber mats might be options. I'd install some sort of forced venting between the stone walls and the new walls to vent moisture to the outside. I'd use a small fan pushing outside air in behind the walls such that it would circulate all around the walls to another exterior vent.

I'd have done all this before I put any tools in there. :rolleyes:

Bill W.