PDA

View Full Version : Legacy saw blades. Keep or discard?

Bion Rogers
09-21-2021, 9:23 PM
Hi everyone. LONG time lurker here.

I bought my Craftsman 113 saw about 1983. I used it for lumber cutting and simple items around the house for several years. Since about 1998, I had it in my garage but had stopped using it for much as it was so under powered and frankly sucked. I had bought a Rigid portable and it sufficed for the general lumber and flooring needs that I had.

Staring about 2 years ago, I figured I would like to make some cabinets. Not having the cash for a major outlay, I started a sloooow refurbishment process on the saw that I just finished. I had added the Exacti-Rip fence sometime in the 90's. I now have it working beautifully and accuracy down to 2-3 thousandths max, repeatable.

Anyway, I bought some new blades but I was wondering if the old blades are worth keeping for any reason or just discard them as old tech. I have a sharpener for them and kept them sharp. Here is the list.

Brand New blades (modern)

Diablo 52 combination
Diablo 24 tooth ripping blade
Diablo 92 ultimate polished finished blade
Freud industrial heavy duty rip 24 tooth 1/8 inch kerf
Oshlund stack Dado 6 in

Legacy new
Vermont American hollow ground planer
Oldham osb- plywood 20 tooth

Legacy used

Chrome King Master combination 64 tooth **
Craftsman 44 tooth standard combination chrome edge **
Black & Decker contractors chrome fast cut combination
Craftsman cabinet combination 72 tooth **
Vermont American plywood and paneling **
Black & Decker chrome plated hollow ground planer **
Craftsman industrial 50 tooth combination carbide **
Craftsman 6-in wobble Dado (just old)

** - excellent condition

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bion Rogers
09-21-2021, 9:30 PM
Just for the heck of it ( yeah i show off) This is the saw. New 2 hp 240V motor, AX belt, pulleys, arbor bearings, arbor face ground to 2/10ths, saw PALS, new Kreg miter gauge, new custom switch, Craftsman dust chute installed that I have had for ages., New GRR-RIPPER 3D advanced pushblock. The saw is now accurate as all hell for what it is and much better power.

Bruce Mack
09-22-2021, 9:05 AM
That saw is prideworthy. It is yours,​ reflecting effort and precision.

Jim Becker
09-22-2021, 9:40 AM
Unless there's something unique about an old blade that might provide some advantage/benefit, such as an unusual kerf width, etc., I personally wouldn't keep them around. Recycle them.

Frank Pratt
09-22-2021, 10:14 AM
Given that great cut quality & long life of carbide blades, I'd toss the old ones.

Mike Kees
09-22-2021, 10:45 AM
Are those older blades carbide tipped or just steel ? If they are carbide I would definitely keep them. I have a couple craftsman blades from the 80's that my Dad gave me that are actually very good quality. If they are just steel then keep one for cutting questionable material (possibility of nails).

Bion Rogers
09-23-2021, 3:05 AM
Thanks, guys. Of the legacy blades, only the Craftsman industrial 50 tooth combination and the
Craftsman 6-in wobble Dado are carbide.

I'll put the others out for scrappers to pick up.

William Hodge
09-23-2021, 6:16 AM
I keep the junk blades around for situations where a sawblade has to take one for the team. I ask for volunteers, and pick the blade that has "NAILS" written on it.

For example, I had to trim window sash for a restoration. The sash had nails in them. Another is construction lumber with sand on it. Plywood that has been on the ground. Primed wood. Etc.

Brian Tymchak
09-23-2021, 8:43 AM
Thanks, guys. Of the legacy blades, only the Craftsman industrial 50 tooth combination and the
Craftsman 6-in wobble Dado are carbide.

I'll put the others out for scrappers to pick up.

I'd add the wobble dado to the scrap pile too. New dado stacks are so much better in almost all ways, especially cutting veneered goods.

Bill Dufour
09-23-2021, 5:58 PM
You say they are all sharp. I would use them until they need to be resharpened then toss them.
Bill D

johnny means
09-24-2021, 1:01 AM
Did I miss something? When did steel blades stop cutting wood? I'd sharpen them and use them for when cut quality really mattered. Steel can be sharpened to a much finer edge then carbide.

Rick Potter
09-24-2021, 2:32 AM
I found one use for the wobble dado blades. I made a bunch of melamine shelving and cabinets for closets and pantry in our house. I used a wobble blade to make the dados, because particle board/melamine is really hard on blades, and I was not about to use my Forrest dado set on it.

There was a slight chip out using it, but acceptable for where it was going.